Merlin Entertainments General Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Adam

Good! Knew it was coming!

I personally don't like the thoughts of 'Merlin's Alton Towers', but i am looking forward to their taking over-ness. Hopefully they will do a better job of AT, unlike what Tussauds have done over the last few years!

*Adäm x
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
kt

I miss tussauds already; it sounds so much more proffesional and less cheesey than 'Merlin'. Although i supose they will put more money into it!

cant wait to see what they do to the 'old' tussauds branding i.e. logs and sineage?
Matt 125

What's going to happen to the Annual Pass then? Will more be included on it? Or will it stay with the old Tussaud's attractions?

Matt :D
Nick

[quote=""kt""]cant wait to see what they do to the 'old' tussauds branding i.e. logs and sineage?[/quote]

I can't see them doing too much re-branding till the closed season. The signs will most likely stay the same until everything closes
AstroDan

I knew this was happening, but not so quick!

A full re-brand is in order I guess!

Welcome, Merlin!

:)
Craig

Although this is all now official and done and dusted from a business point of view, I wouldn't expect Tussaud's signs to be ripped down from their attractions just yet!

There's a lot of things to consider when rebranding. Cost is an obvious factor, there's a hell of a lot of signs and promotional material to replace in each park!

The main factor to consider is the public. The change would have to be introduced slowly but surely. For example, you've got a large number of visitors may not be aware of the change. A quick rebrand would cause confusion with the general public wondering if their annual passes are still valid, whether their vouchers, clubcard deals are still valid etc.

I'm with Nick guessing that we'll see some form of rebranding during the closed season, with maybe slight changes over the coming months. We'll probably see some sort of letter or e-mail coming out to annual pass holders shortly setting out changes (if any of course) to where their passes are accepted etc.

It'll be interesting to see how different any logos are. Will we see a slight change from Tussaud's being on there to it becoming Merlin, or will Tussauds just be removed altogether? It's interesting that Madame Tussauds has changed their logo recently to the red and gold. I wonder if this is because the yellow and blue was seen as too similar to the colours used in Merlin's logo?

Having a quick look at the website, it's interesting to see that there's some linkups with the Sea Life Centre and Legoland. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come?

One thing that has to be considered however, is that although we are seeing a new company being in overall control of the group, DIC still own a 20% stake in it. That's a hefty percentage, so they certainly have major input into the operations and decisions of the enlarged Merlin Entertainments.
Nick

I would doubt thet current Annual Passes will change, they will just be the same until they expire. I would expect there to be numerous Annual Passes to be introduced though, like 1 to include everything, 1 to be the same as it is now etc etc....
Chris-TT

I’m hoping for one that just includes the theme parks. I’m happy about the merger, although it’s not a great thing that the competition keeps being bought out. Legoland was always a wildcard that kept tussauds on there toes.
leejay

[quote=""Scary""]
I knew something was going on when I was at the dungeons a few months back and there was talk of Tussaurds closing and the staff were a little scared. Was just rumours and staff heresay then though!

When was this?
I work at the London Dungeon and its never been rumoured that Madame Tussauds was going to close, plus Dungeon staff are scary not scared, lol!!
The Dungeon has always belonged to Merlin, so we haven't been worried by this at all. I think its a great thing!!!
[/quote]

Edits typos.

Edinborgh dungeon. And by Tussuards I meant Merlin and by closing I meant merging and by scared, i did mean scared as they weren't sure what was going to happen. :lol:

It wouldn't suprise me if a few posters were dotted around the parks saying "A new Alton Towers/thorpe Park" and explains the details. Something like that. Then slowly the adverts will introduce the idea and by next season we will have 'Merlin entertainments Alton towers.' I wonder if they will shorten it to 'Merlin's Alton Towers' and stick with the half circle logo above Alton Towers?
haydn!

[quote=""Craig""]Although this is all now official and done and dusted from a business point of view, I wouldn't expect Tussaud's signs to be ripped down from their attractions just yet!

There's a lot of things to consider when rebranding. Cost is an obvious factor, there's a hell of a lot of signs and promotional material to replace in each park!

The main factor to consider is the public. The change would have to be introduced slowly but surely. For example, you've got a large number of visitors may not be aware of the change. A quick rebrand would cause confusion with the general public wondering if their annual passes are still valid, whether their vouchers, clubcard deals are still valid etc.

I'm with Nick guessing that we'll see some form of rebranding during the closed season, with maybe slight changes over the coming months. We'll probably see some sort of letter or e-mail coming out to annual pass holders shortly setting out changes (if any of course) to where their passes are accepted etc.

It'll be interesting to see how different any logos are. Will we see a slight change from Tussaud's being on there to it becoming Merlin, or will Tussauds just be removed altogether? It's interesting that Madame Tussauds has changed their logo recently to the red and gold. I wonder if this is because the yellow and blue was seen as too similar to the colours used in Merlin's logo?

Having a quick look at the website, it's interesting to see that there's some linkups with the Sea Life Centre and Legoland. I wonder if this is a sign of things to come?

One thing that has to be considered however, is that although we are seeing a new company being in overall control of the group, DIC still own a 20% stake in it. That's a hefty percentage, so they certainly have major input into the operations and decisions of the enlarged Merlin Entertainments.[/quote]

Although in terms of an overall re-brand, it can be costly and is very wise to implement it stage by stage however in this case it is probably best to get it over and done with. If Alton Towers we're changing it's name then yeah, it would need to be carefully planned but nothing park side will change other than the name of the parks owner.

Customers associate with the brand, and that is still very much Alton Towers, or Chessington, or Thorpe. Tussauds here is just the name behind the brand - and in general joes eye a very insignificant part. The only place it would need tact is Madame Tussuads, but that is remaining the same so again, no need to tread carefully.
Scary

Leejay,

Now you say Edinburgh Dungeon it makes more sense, but nothing to do with the takeover.
I've heard lots of rumours about the annual pass, and theres lots of different ideas floating around, but I don't expect them to change until next year.
I know that theres a team dedicated to the new Merlin corporate branding but I don't know what the plans are.
leejay

I do think they will be rebranding quickly, but I can can't see, for £95, an annual pass covering THAT many attractions. I can see them creating a theme park atraction and maybe an exhibition style/touristy one (dungeons, Madamme Tussards etc). By the way, does the rebrand end the deal Tussards had with that Eurpoean theme park (can't think of the name for the life of me) that grants once admission with an anual pass.
Johno

I doubt anything will happen with rebranding Alton.

Legoland isn't Merlin's Legoland Windsor...

And Madam Tussauds will stay with the same name.

I reckon we'll have 5 new passes:

- Merlin London - All the attractions within/near London

- Merlin Ancient Magic - Tussauds Pass

- Merlin Annual Pass - Every attraction

- Merlin Parks - Theme Parks only

- Merlin Lifetime - Annual Pass forever!
Joel

I swore this was going to happen - Merlin wants to get its name on and over everything to get itself known!

I mean how many of us knew of Merlin before its involvement with buying Tussauds?

They are keen to get their name on things now they 'own' them - despite any brand history of Tussauds.

And I still agree that each attraction is a brand unto its own, and doesn't rely on the Tussauds 'brand' to support its popularity.

Most people I've spoke to don't even know they own Warwick/London Eye! :roll: - at the most they know of Alton Towers and usually Madame Tussauds!

As for the pass, I recon they won't bother with it for now, except *maybe* to add one or two of the new attractions (but I doubt that as it would not give the excuse for a price hike...), and next year we'll see the old Tussauds Annual Pass phased out as they expire (i.e. can't purchase new ones), and a super pass replace it.

It'll also give them the opportunity to bump it up to, say, £130-150 or something.

I would expect the new attractions to be included on the pass however - it always seemed Tussauds intentions to ensure that all of their attractions were available through the pass - look at the London Eye.

The LE has a huge turnover and visitors without deals/passes/offers - they don't even offer tickets through Clubcard yet as Freetime said the attraction is too popular without adding Clubcard Deals tokens for it, although they were trying to get Tussauds to offer it -- yet they still added to it to the AP offering.

So my guess will be the same pass with all the attractions but a hefty price increase (if not straight away, phased in) to match the new offerings.

I don't think they'd go to the trouble of lots of styles of pass, although it might be a nice idea.
Robin

Hi scary, i used to work at london dungeons and now work at madame tussauds and i know that at some point we will get some sort of staff pass for all attractions. i know when i worked at dunegons i really wanted to be a part of tussauds group to get all the free theme park tickets lol. I bet the people at the dungeons are loving the takeover.
Scary

Hi Robin!

Yep we looking forward to getting Alton Towers etc added to our emplyee cards, I use mine quite alot to go to LEGOLAND and Sea Life etc.
I reckon that they'll probably give us complimenatry tickets for this season and change our cards next year.
When did you work at the Dungeon? I've been there since 2004 so we might have been there at the same time.
Thomas

Tussuad's has gone :(

But hello Merlin :)

I hope a lot of good comes from this & many years of magical enjoyment to come with it
Robin

I worked there summer 2005 in admissions so we probably have met lol. i want to visit dungeons soon to see the new ride. has the cafe totally gone now?
Scary

Hi Robin!

I remember you! Yeah the cafe is no more, the shops there now!
Extremis is really good!