Merlin Entertainments General Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Cookie Monster

I hope Duel has its guns removed, it is much better without it.
stealthsmiler

I couldn't see this working in every park apart from like this.

Legoland gets a miniature version of the parks added to the mini village (something I'm surprised they haven't done, apart from the Blivy at LDC, which is brilliant)

Alton Towers changing one of the golf courses so each hole has a different parks theme (prob have to use some abroad parks)

I cant think how they would do the other parks without using another golf course apart from one park having a 4D cinema which shows a film based at say Alton Towers, about how the towers are haunted, although thats very weak and would look odd at any park other than AT it's self.
RCandrew

Both your ideas in one would work well! Obviously not full sized AT rides in thorpe because then there'd be no pint, but just a big huge display of its rides with basically the message being 'do you want to ride the worlds first vertical drop coaster? Visit AT now!' And visa versa 'do you want to ride the UKs tallest rollercoaster? Visit thorpe park now!' Because if they had huge models or themes etc then it be a big teaser and it would make people want to go :) if each parks rides were all unique then there would be a reason to visit the others and they wouldn't exactly loose any customers!
Jamie

I doubt they would, and I hope not as the park is nice enough as it is. I'd hate to see Merlin get their hands on it to be honest.
dmmosh1

I've read on screamscape (they've referred to this as a wild rumour themselves) that there is a possibility of a dr.who attraction opening at Thorpe park does anybody know if there is any truth in this ?

before they re-themed Toyland tours the AT website had a survey about what theming to have and dr.who was an option so I've always thought that CCL could be amazing as a dr.who area like coat98 suggested
I feel like if the CBeeBies land goes down well with the public then a dr.who ride or land is a possibility
Altontowersbarlow

I think Cbeebies land has been a big success however I feel Alton Towers should not rely on this ideal outcome to become lazy and stop producing original and unique ride/ theme ideas. Ice Age, CATCF and Cbeebies Land create just the right balance of IP's alongside AT's own ideas and I feel anymore could unsettle the natural balance of the park and would begin to eat away at the number of expertly designed storylines that AT create for their rides and therefore hinder the unique aspect of the Resort. I would have no objection to a replacement of CATCF as it is completely outdated and only seems to be an amateur Dark Ride however I would like AT to inject some of the Old AT charm back into it and create a professional Dark Ride without the influence of an IP :)
definedancing

I know everyone's hyped on CBeebies Land but ugh. Top Gear themed Stealth? Doctor Who dark ride? It seems fine but that's leaving the door for Hex 0.2: The History of EastEnders or something as inane. It just seems incredibly unfitting and overly financially motivated.
stealthsmiler

If Merlin were to use more BBC, it wouldn't be at Alton Towers as it would run the risk of Alton Towers becoming BBC World. This rules out and BBC SW8 and any rethemes, apart from the extension of Cebeebies Land and retheme of Sonic. Merlin could use theme at other parks though. They have Merlin at Warwick Castle already and BBC could possibly work at Chessy. Although I hope Dr Who isn't used. It wouldn't work with anyone who isn't a Dr Who fan cutting out a lot of possible riders which a park would not want to do with a large investment.
lucy2244

I don't think themed attractions do restrict the amount of people wanting to go on, I think they rather make them more popular!
People still ride the hulk, even though I bet more than half the people who ride aren't fans. The same goes with the pirates of the Caribbean, the Simpsons rides, and anything TV show/film endorsed.
People would still ride the ride or go in the attraction, it'd just also attract the fan base of that particular film too! I know many DR. Who fans who wouldn't visit theme parks, but I know they'd be queueing outside for hours if there was something themed for them!
Master_feedback

Dr who dark ride AT in place of the log flume yes pls :)
Master_feedback

Really cant see that the monopoly commotion would get involved

the demise of american adventure and camelot show its an industry that is in decline makes no sence for the government to butt in and say you cant buy that let it go bust and every one loss their jobs... ...
And yes they can open as many parks as they like (subject to land and planning consent)

That said DM have a solid trade and a current long term business plan so I i think it will not get sold any time soon
Adz
Admin
Admin

Master_feedback wrote:Really cant see that the monopoly commotion would get involved

the demise of american adventure and camelot show its an industry that is in decline makes no sence for the government to butt in and say you cant buy that let it go bust and every one loss their jobs... ...
And yes they can open as many parks as they like (subject to land and planning consent)

That said DM have a solid trade and a current long term business plan so I i think it will not get sold any time soon
They would get involved in regards to Drayton Manor, like you say it's got a solid trade and is doing well. Merlin wouldn't be 'saving' anything, rather they would be launching a hostile takeover.

In the cases of Camelot, American Adventure, etc. Because those had failed, Merlin would be looked upon more favourably as you'd be keeping jobs and supporting the local economy, a takeover of Drayton Manor does neither of those and serves only to further Merlins interests.

All that being said, Merlin have zero interest in opening or acquiring any more theme parks at this time. Midway Attractions (Sealife, Dungeons, Legoland Discovery Centres, The Eye Brand, Shrek) are far more profitable with minimal investment and no major ongoing costs. This is how the company intends to expand for the foreseeable future.
Master_feedback

Good points well made Adz in my head the only way DM would go to merlin would be if it started to fail ... I also agree with you on merlins current expansion plan ... .. end of the day bpb has got more chance of a buy out then DM ...
stealthsmiler

I know this is slightly off topic but I always thought Merlin should have bought out Camelot. They could have invested some money into it and really hyped up the Camelot theme. Also the good old dragon coaster could have been saved.
NemesisRider

I rode the Knightmare at Camelot. Now I compare it to AT, it was terrible.
stealthsmiler

But with some investment starting with good flats, then work up to bigger better coasters, it could have become really good, plus there was little competition with other parks being about an hour away,meaning for a cheap day out, it was good.

But anyway this is getting off topic.
Doopy Dan

But Alton Towers is serious competition to Drayton Manor. An hour is not that far away, not for a family day out, it is even less far away when you consider people might stay over a few nights spreading the journey to and from over a few days.

I would say this is one of the reasons why Drayton decided to primarily focus on developing children and family attractions, something it has done rather well. While Alton does have children and family attractions, yes, It has a huge thrill lineup compared to Drayton. Drayton has neither the funds or the space to compete in this market against Alton, but can and has competed rather well in the chidren and family market, and in fact has probably over took Alton in this sector.

As for a takeover, this will never happen. For the reasons Adz has stated. Plus, the Brian family are very proud owners of the park, starting it from scratch in the 50's and building it up to what it is today. They would be very reluctant to sell, I can see it being passed down from generation to generation for decades to come. Also Drayton is the best it has ever been, ever really. Massive IP's, the largest investments it has ever seen in its whole life, and the largest guest numbers. The Brian family will be hugely proud of this.
Owen

The only flaw with this.....stealth isn't the tallest ;)
Vladimir Bobinski

Drayton is less than half an hour away from me, Alton is 1 1/2 - 2 hours. I think I last visited Drayton almost 10 years ago. It's far to expensive for what it has to offer, which isn't a lot.
Count-Vonduel

Trust me this is a terrible idea. One of my local parks has something similar and it just makes them seem like utter scum bags, take a look for yourself (read the part about Convoy Drive)
http://www.wheelgatepark.com/family-the ... ning-zone/