Merlin Entertainments General Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
sw7nutter

AT has odd closing times to try and reduce noise complaints from the locals. TP extended their closing times to stop huge traffic jams forming as there are local road works which are slowing traffic right down.
But yes i do think At should open longer, its not like the people of Alton got there before the park did.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Dara

The problem with UK parks is that, unless they give people are real reason to stay at the park till late ( would pretty much limit this to fireworks and halowen events), they wont stay! Thorpe Park tried closing at 10pm in August back in 2006 an it was a flop, all rides were walk on after for the last 3 hours. Even 8pm August cloosings didn't work.

Sadly the British public have a very different attitude to the public abroad who like to stay at parks till late. In this country, everyone wants to be home for dinner by half 6 and tucked up in bed by 9 (minus aa few of us obviously). The only way to get people to stay at parks late is to do either do a Screfest type event, but even this has to be limited to a short period in the year (ie, nobody would stay late if Scarefest was a 3 month thing) or they have to put on fireworks which, again have to only be on limited dates to ensure popularity.
Burniel

lucy2244 wrote: I really think they should make some propper rules on what you can and can't use your discount on, because it seems like everyone is being treated differently and every staff member has ther own rules. Prices should stay consistent for everyone, at the moment it seems like not even Merlin know the exemptions for the discount  :lol:
This post has made my day.

I would totally agree, if they are willing to give 20% to MAP holders, then they should do it properly. Different staff have different rules, one day you get a discount, the next day you don't get it, even at the same stand/shop
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Burniel

SuperWill wrote: We should open a petition for AT to close at 9PM in the Summer! Thorpe Park did it so why can't AT? Who agrees that we should open a petition for AT to close at 9PM in the Summer? :D
Dara wrote: The problem with UK parks is that, unless they give people are real reason to stay at the park till late ( would pretty much limit this to fireworks and halowen events), they wont stay! Thorpe Park tried closing at 10pm in August back in 2006 an it was a flop, all rides were walk on after for the last 3 hours. Even 8pm August cloosings didn't work.

Sadly the British public have a very different attitude to the public abroad who like to stay at parks till late. In this country, everyone wants to be home for dinner by half 6 and tucked up in bed by 9 (minus aa few of us obviously). The only way to get people to stay at parks late is to do either do a Screfest type event, but even this has to be limited to a short period in the year (ie, nobody would stay late if Scarefest was a 3 month thing) or they have to put on fireworks which, again have to only be on limited dates to ensure popularity.
I'll sign any petition and would be happy to stay until 9.

Went to chessington end of last month and they closed at 5, though, even worse than your 5:30 AT closing time!

There is no reasoning to this.
Dara

Yes you personaly would be happy to stay in the parks till 9pm, I would too. But sadly this does not represent the feelings of the majority of the British public. Parks across the UK aren't bringing their closing times earlier just for fun, there's genuine reason  for doing it and, even though I hate them doing it, from their point of view it makes perfect sense. If Alton Towers stayed open till 9pm in the summer, only about 10% of their guests from the day would still be there in the last hour. Is it therefore worth keeping all those rides running and staff employed? Though it pains me to say it, I would say it is not.
Burniel

Dara wrote: Yes you personaly would be happy to stay in the parks till 9pm, I would too. But sadly this does not represent the feelings of the majority of the British public. Parks across the UK aren't bringing their closing times earlier just for fun, there's genuine reason  for doing it and, even though I hate them doing it, from their point of view it makes perfect sense. If Alton Towers stayed open till 9pm in the summer, only about 10% of their guests from the day would still be there in the last hour. Is it therefore worth keeping all those rides running and staff employed? Though it pains me to say it, I would say it is not.
I know ... It's not worth it for AT either.

The GP need to go on the smiler. Marmalise them until they're happy to stay.
Themeparksandy1981

The big difference is with any uk park after a long day in the park you got to drive home with Disney you is holiday mood and you have got far to drive back to the hotel or a motor coach trip away to a Disney hotel.
Burniel

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: The big difference is with any uk park after a long day in the park you got to drive home with Disney you is holiday mood and you have got far to drive back to the hotel or a motor coach trip away to a Disney hotel.
When I go to AT, I have a 3.5 hour drive, meaning I would stay in a hotel ...
Dara

Yes many people do stay in hotels when visiting UK parks, however compared to day visitors they make up a very very small minority of the overall attendance. Much as I hate to say it, late openings at UK theme parks without a special event doesn't work and we have evidence to prove that. I wish it was different but sadly that's the way it is.
obliviongirl

Wondering how busy Thorpe Park will be on the weekend 21/22 September, and how many rides it will be possible to get on? I may be visiting with friends on one of those days and was hoping to find out how many rides we could go on.
Also, I have a phobia of loud sudden noises, and things/people jumping out at me, and for this reason I have never been on Saw The Ride solely because I am aware the queue line involves a lot of this. Can you tell me how scary it is and whether you think I could do it? Oh, and if I do, would it be socially acceptable to wear headphones and a blindfold in the queue?  :lol:
Kirsty25

The queueline for Saw isn't bad at all, there is one loud gunshot but no people jumping out at you on any of the occasions I've been this year. You would probably be fine with headphones in the queue as long as you removed them for the ride itself.
MPDarby

obliviongirl wrote: Wondering how busy Thorpe Park will be on the weekend 21/22 September, and how many rides it will be possible to get on? I may be visiting with friends on one of those days and was hoping to find out how many rides we could go on.
Also, I have a phobia of loud sudden noises, and things/people jumping out at me, and for this reason I have never been on Saw The Ride solely because I am aware the queue line involves a lot of this. Can you tell me how scary it is and whether you think I could do it? Oh, and if I do, would it be socially acceptable to wear headphones and a blindfold in the queue?  :lol:
Was wondering the same thing re queue times. I am also visiting this Saturday (21st Sep). I only get one trip to Thorpe Park every year & hate how stupidly busy the rides can get. It's the only park I will ever consider buying farcetrack for. Do you think it's worth buying farcetrack?

I also have some complimentary fastrack to collect on my visit after an awful visit in 2012. I'm not expecting these to be for the big coaster but does anyone know which rides these are likely to be for?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks for riding the Runaway Minetrain, we hope you enjoyed your trip. Choo! Choo!
Alex

This topic can be used to discuss any general Merlin developments not specific to a certain attraction, or where a topic for the relevant attraction doesn't exist.
Taken from BBC News

Merlin, the company that owns Legoland, Warwick Castle and Chessington World of Adventures, says it plans to issue shares to the public.

It is sweetening the deal for its forthcoming stock market float. The minimum application will be £1,000 and individual shareholders get a 30% discount on either two adult Merlin Annual Passes or one family Merlin Annual Pass. But you can get 25% off now just for applying online.

So who will be applying to buy shares in Merlin?
fabiasimon

I will definitely be applying for some merlin shares!! Does anyone know when they start accepting applications??
Lee

I'll be looking into it, however I wouldn't be investing just because it's Merlin.

You've got to look into carefully and consider whether you'll make a return. Merlin is performing well but straddled by debt and run by investment company. You do have to question the motives behind a floatation.
Exterminieren

With the CBeebies Land announcement, special mention is made in the press release of it being the beginning of a partnership with BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC. This leaves the door wide open for Merlin to potentially use any of the BBC's brands.

So, what might we see? SW8 having the Top Gear branding slapped on it? A Doctor Who dark ride? Planet Earth 4D?
Last edited by Exterminieren on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaykeAT

I have a feeling that a duel re-theme could result in a doctor who dark ride
KoasterKraver

They cannot retheme duel. It is one of my favourite rides!
Craftylee

Yes very nice and tempting to invest in a company you love and want to do well - however the min £1000 application is too high for me. I'd throw a few hundred but nothing more at this time
audiobookman

I've just been emailed about it, and it does sound tempting. Not because of the rather poor discount level, just because it is something I am personally interested in.
The discounts should have been at the 50% mark like they are in the January sales.
£1000 is a bit steep, but then again the post office also started at that figure.

I am going to put aside £1000 for when the floatation starts, if anything you should get to go to the shareholder meetings and get some idea of plans etc.
I know that the company is in debt but the size of it now and the investment they have put into the parks over the last 5 years makes me think that they are actually interested in running the company and not tearing it to pieces.
Last edited by audiobookman on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.