Travelling Fairs

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Roose

What are your views on Fun Fairs. I love the atmosphere but i hate the rides. IMO i think they are unsafe, an example of this was last night at the Bristol Ballon Fiesta. I was watching A wild mouse coaster and one of the hills it went over was bending when ever a car went over it!
Adz
Admin
Admin

As i work on funfairs i can assure you they are perfectly safe. everything has to pass a test each year otherwise it just wouldnt be allowed to run. as for that track beding i can assure you it would be normal and theme park versions also do this.

to prove how safe they are.. when an operator presses a wrong button on a ride it will just freeze up and not allow the ride to move until all the correct safety measures have been implyed, such as restraints etc etc.
Roose

Its not that it's just the state of some of the rides. Ive seen some rides with twine holding restraints down.

P.s. what showman do you work for?
Adz
Admin
Admin

Bensons, well used to. not sure now.
smeg_head

I once saw a ride being fixed with a candyfloss stick! It was a Ripsaw style ride (topspin?) and there was a Carny bloke in greasy overalls snapping the stick and jamming into some mechanism on the side then binding it. Still went on the ride though, and great fun it was too!
Adz
Admin
Admin

It was a Ripsaw style ride (topspin?)
yes a Topspin, im guessing it was a smaller Fabbri version. technically they suck. im sure what he was sticking the candyfloss stick into wasnt 'that' important.
haydn!

Fun fairs are probably are just as safe as theme parks, and if not safer. Cause if you think about it, they operate under much stricter regulations and testing. rides are issued an health and safety certificate for every venue they attend, which can change every three or four days in some cases. But theme parks, pretty much get on certificate for the whole eight month season.
Alex.

I have a friend that wont go on fun-fair rides because he thinks there un-safe.I think hes kinda stupid.When was the last time you saw someone fall of a fun fair ride?
nick_mcuk

[quote=""hj1984""]Fun fairs are probably are just as safe as theme parks, and if not safer. Cause if you think about it, they operate under much stricter regulations and testing. rides are issued an health and safety certificate for every venue they attend, which can change every three or four days in some cases. But theme parks, pretty much get on certificate for the whole eight month season.[/quote]

What the way that pikeys pay tax and insure thier cars?

Come on face it the largge majority of funfairs are run by pikeys....and they realy dont give a hoot....i will not go anywhere near fun fairs....
haydn!

Thats a little un fair, one of my good friends uncle happens to be James Mellors, owner of Big Ben, Frisbee, Crazy Shake, and Wild Mouse and also, the owner of the only River Rapids ride touring the UK at the moment. And i can assure you, he is NO pikey!
nick_mcuk

I didnt say all fun fairs were run by Pikeys....but the LARGE MAJORITY!
Roose

[quote=""hj1984""]Thats a little un fair, one of my good friends uncle happens to be James Mellors, owner of Big Ben, Frisbee, Crazy Shake, and Wild Mouse and also, the owner of the only River Rapids ride touring the UK at the moment. And i can assure you, he is NO pikey![/quote]

Do you know where he's taking his machines this year?
haydn!

Havent the foggiest, but i know he gets about with them a bit. They're normally all always at the Nottingham Goose Fair, which is in about six or seven weeks. I cant wait to see the new rapids ride in action, looks pretty impressive!

Some pics of the new rides can be found here...
http://www.funfairs.ndirect.co.uk/River ... /index.htm

And James Mellors main site is here...
http://www.jamesmellors.co.uk
Adz
Admin
Admin

apparantly the rapids ride sucks. www.atfotf.com/forum all your funfair needs. that forum can normally tell you when something is happening.
Roose

He brought His Funderworld to Bristol this year. I thought the rapids were quite good but didn't get you wet. His crazy shake is so fun i was laughing all the way through it!
Ian

I was going to go that but we were going to AT around the same time it was in Bristol so we didn't bother. The rapids ride was actually in the local paper because there was an accident of 2 boats bumping into each other or something, front page too. I think people were taken to hospital.

Slightly off topic.....The Ultimate Pie.....Another fellow Bristolian HI!!
Roose

Slightly off topic.....The Ultimate Pie.....Another fellow Bristolian HI!!
HELLOOOO!

Yeah i heard about that accident. There was also an accident on Big Ben when a firewrok hit someone whil they were on the ride, and Move-It got stuck upside down thats why it got removed and replace with some chair-o-planes.
Adz
Admin
Admin

There was also an accident on Big Ben when a firewrok hit someone whil they were on the ride,
Not the rides fault though, firework shouldnt have been angled in that direction.
Move-It got stuck upside down thats why it got removed and replace with some chair-o-planes.
yes this ride went back to the manufacturer and shall be returning to england soon.

Funfair in my town tonight actually.. must go take a looky.
evil cod

theres 2 accidents that I can remember at stokesley fair (where I live) and 1 near accident

someones leg got caught and broken on the terminator (a top spin ride)

the street dancer set on fire

and a near accident on the move-it where as it was moving up a number of the safety bars had not been locked properly and opened up, luckly the ride had only just started moving

just thought id share those with you
bigblade40

i think the main safety problem at fairs is the people that go to them.
There are usually people there just trying to cause trouble.
bigblade40