Six Flags General Discussion

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Anonymous

Well, which SixFlags park do you think is the best overall?
themeparkfreak

ahh enough already! How do we know, its a matter of opinion! I personally think SFMM looks the best, but a million other people probably think different. No offence, but you need to cut down on the pointless topics. :|
Dr Pop Rocket

What is it with this guy and capital letters. :roll:
AstroDan

I have no idea as I haven't visited a single one. However, looking at RCDB, Magic Mountain looks the best. Great Adventure isn't bad. But i bear in mind that many of them have the same rides in (Batman, Superman.). I chose Magic Mountain as that seems to have the most coasters, and Tatsu which looks great. Also it has Revolution which features in the film 'Rollercoaster!'.

Magic Mountain for me.
Liam

double a, PLEASE STOP SHOUTING, thank you. :)
Also, please post your own opinion if you're going to start a topic like this, and don't post just for the sake of it.
[Changed topic title, and the whole of the first post so that it makes sense]
CGM

Having only been to one I'm going to have to go with Six Flags Marine World. But when I last went, it had only been a Six Flags park for one year and had only just become a themepark. (Before it was a brilliantly themed and fun wildlife park). I used to love it but looking at rcdb, it looks as if it has been turned into the usual Six Flags style coaster over tarmac park. It's a shame
haydn!

Breaking News!

[quote=""Screamscape""]In a huge shocking announcement, Six Flags has announced that it will “explore potential strategic options” for six of their parks. In other words, they are looking to sell them off to the highest bidder for use as either a theme park or for other redevelopment. While some of the six are not all that shocking, there is one really big shocker that is sending waves through the industry.

The list includes:
  • Six Flags Darien Lake (outside Buffalo, NY)
  • Six Flags Waterworld (Concord, CA)
  • Six Flags Elitch Gardens (Denver, CO)
  • Wild Waves & Enchanted Village (outside Seattle, WA)
  • Six Flags Splashtown (Houston, TX)
  • Six Flags Magic Mountain & Hurricane Harbor (north Los Angeles, CA).
[/quote]
Source / Official Release from Six Flags

Seems things are getting worse for this struggling entertainment company - what can this mean for the company as a whole and these parks also?
Ash

:shock: :?

WOW! Magic Moutain. Thats big news. I didnt think that the park struggled. Wow that sure is interesting!

*Thought* Tussauds breaking into US market anyone?
LiamC

:shock: :shock: :shock: :? :?

Magic Mountain, surley not, they cant, they musnt!

I have not been yet

:( :( :(

Sounds like an interesting development their, certainly a surprise!

Liam =)
Dr Pop Rocket

No surprise at all that they may sell MM. Yes it has some awesome rides but the place is a wreck. Its not bringing in no where near enough money as it should and it needs so much doing to it to get it to the new SF standards. So I beleive MM will the a park they most want to sell off, they would sell it off for big money and would clear a bit of there debt.
Last edited by Dr Pop Rocket on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benbrit

Six flags realy seem to be Struggling at the momet they are selling loads of their parks off.
Magic mountin. but thats a classic six flags. Most people know about magic mountin and connect it instantly to six flags. I can see about the money issue though. with the six flags in new orleans being destroyed and the ludicrus running costs of rides like X seems like they are going to have some issues.

[Quote][*Thought* Tussauds breaking into US market anyone?]

tussards in the US? I mean I love the Towers. Altons my fav park in the world but I just cant see the tussards buying in to the american market. Its not on the same level. I would love them too though. more of an excuse to go on holiday. :D
Clackers

This is a great opportunity for Tussauds to buy Magic Mountain and bring its best rides to Alton Towers as part of Project Dolphin.

However, knowing Alton Towers we will end up with some two-bob fairground flat for 2007! :evil:

And this why AT will never compete with Disney and Universal!
Sir John Talbot

:shock:

Nooooo! Not Magic Mountain. Wow, this is really sad - right after Tatsu when things were starting to look better for the park.

Well, let's cross out fingers and wait to see if a company can buy it and do it better. Disney + Magic Mountain = Wow on so many different levels!

Don't care about the others. I'm in shock about MM though.,
ashayling

It really has surprised me their not selling off Six Flags New Orleans as like scrap or something.
Due to substantial damage caused by Hurricane Katrina, Six Flags New Orleans
will remain closed for the 2006 season. The company is working with its insurance
carriers to assess the full extent of the damage and the size of its eventual insurance
recoveries. As all of us know, this is a difficult time for everyone in New Orleans,
and we're committed to working with the city in support of the recovery efforts.

Do you think the rides could be fixed? Maybe they will find out if they can then sell them off.

How much damage can be done on a rollercoaster just by it, obviously all the electrics but would the track still be usable?
Ash

Wow!

That looks completely devastating. Id imagine 99% of the rides would be ruined. I mean electrics, mechanical parts would all be broken. Better to flatten it and build houses on it.
homer09001

NOOOOOOOOO i intended to visit some of the Six Flag parks in the US within my lifetime & Cedar Point
haydn!

[quote=""1towers""][quote=""titler121""]*Thought* Tussauds breaking into US market anyone?[/quote]
tussards in the US? I mean I love the Towers. Altons my fav park in the world but I just cant see the tussauds buying in to the american market. Its not on the same level. I would love them too though. more of an excuse to go on holiday.[/quote]

Just to add, Tussauds already have positioned themselves in the US market, not yet with a theme park however there is a Madam Tussauds wax works in Las Vegas and New York.
Ash

I was thinking as a major investment in a new theme park. This looks like a great opportunity to get one on the cheap. And no doubt the DIC will want in on the US market
CGM

WOW! Magic Moutain. Thats big news. I didnt think that the park struggled
The whole chain has been struggling for years but I am still shocked that they didn't decide to sell smaller parks such as Darien Lake. It really hasn't been a good time for Six Flags recently. They blew it in Europe and had to sell both of their Euopean parks, They have had to close Astro World, Six Flags New Orleans has been flooded and now this.

I think that Six Flags may have been considering this for some time. That's why they have ploughed so much money into Great Adventure with KK and El Toro so that it can take over as their new premier park.

I think that in the long run Six flags will probably go bust (they are something like 2billlion dollars in debt). But with their new theming policy and selling off their biggest park, they may just scrape through.
That looks completely devastating. Id imagine 99% of the rides would be ruined
Sorry to quote you twice but I think that the rides will be mostly fine although the sea water won't do them much good, the only thing in them that could be damaged are the electrics which is nothing that their insurance won't easily cover. The main worry is damage to the buildings which will cost hundreds of thousands maybe even millions to rebuild or renovate.
AstroDan

Was just reading a review for Panic! At the Disco (that awful new band that sounds EXACTLY the same as Fallout Boy, from the singers voice to the melodies) and a comparison with a Six Flags theme park came up:

Jenny Eliscu: Their performance was like a Six Flags theme park, Las Vegas-cheesy version of a rock show. It’s mostly just smoke and mirrors and make-up and hairdos to distract you from the fact that they’re not playing that well together and that their songs aren’t all that catchy or interesting. The closest thing they have to a real hook is “closing a goddamn door.”

So, are Six Flags parks 'smoke and mirrors', 'make-up', and 'not playing well together' as well as not being 'interesting'?

I have never been to one, but they don't sound all that, even if one the surface, the coasters they often have are very good?

Thoughts?