As an Alton Towers fanboy/fangirl, what comments hurt you the most

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Danny

'The smiler is the worlds first 14 LOOPING roller coaster'

No… just no
Jack

danny.g97 wrote: 'The smiler is the worlds first 14 LOOPING roller coaster'

No… just no
I have to say that to my friends otherwise I have to explain what inversions are :x
tallicay2k

"Omg your not on that forum again are you? You are sad....

That's one I get often  :roll:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
JammyBand

More of a general coaster thing:
When people get confused between corkscrews and barrel rolls. Like seriously? It happens all the time on TV and stuff. One particular one which gets me is when somebody calls the last corkscrew on Nemesis a barrel roll, but even John Wardley has made that mistake!
Sam198

JammyBand wrote: More of a general coaster thing:
When people get confused between corkscrews and barrel rolls. Like seriously? It happens all the time on TV and stuff. One particular one which gets me is when somebody calls the last corkscrew on Nemesis a barrel roll, but even John Wardley has made that mistake!
It's hard to see due to it's location, but the profiling of Nemesis' final inversion does actually closer resemble a 0g roll with no ramping than a traditional corkscrew/wingover. Its entrance and exit are practically inline and the element as a whole is notably drawn out/stretched, as opposed to the far more 'squashed' aerial profile of your average corkscrew.

It's tricky to fully explain verbally, so here's an aerial view of Nemesis' first and final inversions, as well as its 0g roll as a comparison:

As you can see, the entrance and exit of the first, classic corkscrew are fairly far apart on the element's x axis, with a very visible lead-in and lead-out (where the track moves first in one direction, and then the other, with the centre of the maneuver being almost perpendicular to its entrance). On the other hand, the second corkscrew features a much more fluid, dynamic shape, with far less lateral profile, lead-in/lead-out or 'snap' to it, as well as being visibly far more drawn out and shallow than its predecessor.

In short, the traditional corkscrew resembles a drawn out 'S', whereas Nemesis' final inversion closer resembles a flat, stretched out 'V'.

Apologies if this explanation comes across as very broken or rambling, as I'm fairly sure I missed some major points out. I had to fight to restrain myself from drawing up any full technical diagrams. :P
Last edited by Sam198 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

"The Smiler was amazing!"  :evil:

A personal favourite from when a friend found my MAP. "Is this like a Costa card?"  ](*,)
Jack

Lee James wrote: "The Smiler was amazing!"  :evil:
Grrrr

One thing that drives me up the wall is 'rita sucks' and then 'rita is overrated' if you didn't know, I like rita...a lot
Sam198

But Rita does suck? ;)

For me, anyone who answered "Yes" in this poll:

#Nemmyfanboyandproud
Instant Mix

jackandylan123 wrote: I have a few friends, but they think rides are unsafe :x think that rides kill because of G :x and when people say they have been on 'The Nemesis' 'The TH13TEEN' The Air' 'The Colossus' 'The Stealth' :x
This annoys me so goddamn much
Sam198

Oh, that reminds me... *glares at Jack*

I also reserve a special hatred for people who feel the need to write "TH13TEEN" whenever they reference the damn thing. Just stop.
Danny

Whilst queuing for Squirrel Nutty during the Summer Sizzler meet, a group of older kids behind us seemed intent on trying to get past us, with one even going as far to use the excuse that her 'dad owned Alton Towers'. Rather bizarre how she didn't appear to know her own father's name in contrast to myself despite having never met the chap!  :roll:
Owen

Sam198 wrote: Oh, that reminds me... *glares at Jack*

I also reserve a special hatred for people who feel the need to write "TH13TEEN" whenever they reference the damn thing. Just stop.
I love the smiler, and TH13TEEN  ;)
Jack

eh? what do you mean? :?
Sam198

^
jackandylan123 wrote: I have a few friends, but they think rides are unsafe :x think that rides kill because of G :x and when people say they have been on 'The Nemesis' 'The TH13TEEN' The Air' 'The Colossus' 'The Stealth' :x
Jack

Sam198 wrote: ^
oh... DON'T JUDGE ME :tears:
Burniel

But it's the name of the ride.

Personally I think if it's something you're saying in passing its ok to put "13" but I think if it's the main point of your statement then it should be referred to as "TH13TEEN"

My point is if you were making a statement about the smiler, you wouldn't say "smiler", would you.

So to hate someone who doesn't abbreviate whenever they feel like is basically what you're doing
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
bensaund

For me people who call TH13TEEN, just 13!

But if anything that winds me up the most is listening to other people talking complete rubbish when you are on the Sky Ride.

Picture this: 4 Chav teenage girls must be around 14 years old.

"I don't know why they bother building gardens here, it is not like anyone is going to visit them"
"Is that Stealth, it goes at like 100MPH or something" (They were looking at Rita)
"Sub Terra has some dinosaur creature which attacks you"

Now by this point I was almost hovering off my seat wanting to slap them and give them a History lesson on the gardens, ride names and to make it worse, WATCH THE TV when you are queuing for a ride.

The number of times people say "What has a tree got to do with Hex" If you watch the queue line video and the pre show, you are given all the information you need.

Edited to remove swearing ~ Michelle TTF
Last edited by bensaund on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you go down to the woods today
Burniel

Whenever people say "god was that ride terrible" I always want to invite them to build something better in their back garden.

When people talk loudly about thirteen's secret element in the queue - so you know. Others may not want to you know!

"Why don't they build a really tall ride like stealth here?" Drives me up the wall, as well
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jack

One that drives me up the wall is "roller coasters are dangerous" - Do they know how many H&S checks they have to go through before opening :x
Dom

i dont like when people say thats a pointless feature when they are queueing to enter the park. its not a feature. its the legendary corkscrew.