Funny Things You've Overheard at Parks

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Themeparksandy1981

The best one was back in 1997. Me and my mate joined the queue for Ripsaw, these 2 lads joined the queue and asked how much did this ride cost. My mate jokingly said £5, oh damn it the lad said I only got £3 on me and left the queue. Still today I wonder if them lads thought every ride cost to go on lol.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Kelham

For me it has got to be when I was leaving the theme park at the end of the day - I was in my car with my mate and we were playing The Smiler theme tune in the car - pulled up at the barrier to hand over the ticket and the guy shouts over to his mate (happens to be Shawn Sanbrooke) saying and I quote "HES GOT THE THEMETUNE!!!!" Best memory ever :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)
pillsburyb

Dr.Kelham wrote: For me it has got to be when I was leaving the theme park at the end of the day - I was in my car with my mate and we were playing The Smiler theme tune in the car - pulled up at the barrier to hand over the ticket and the guy shouts over to his mate (happens to be Shawn Sanbrooke) saying and I quote "HES GOT THE THEMETUNE!!!!" Best memory ever :)
I don't get it
samandmelvin66

Whilst at Blackpool Pleasure Beach I was queuing for steeple chase next to The Big One and there was a Dad and his daughter in front of me

Dad: that used to be the tallest roller coaster in the world.
Daughter no I think that was Oblivion at Alton Towers

Last edited by samandmelvin66 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidRock

While at alton towers this year... A group were by the signs by Woodcutters looking at the map. One of the group calls me over and ask for directions........

It went like this......

Lad - mate can you help us find a ride.
Me- sure where do you want to go
Lads partner - we're looking for Apocalypse
Me- are you sure?  :roll:
Lad- yeah my mates just called me to say he's just been on it and it's awesome
Me- I'm sure he meant Oblivion which is through past Hex turn left and left into X Sector

I'm sure I could've given directions down the M6
Last edited by DavidRock on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LivL

I have heard a few people asking if the piece of Corkscrew track at the entrance is a ride...
Burniel

LivL wrote: I have heard a few people asking if the piece of Corkscrew track at the entrance is a ride...
My sister once said the same thing about the track above the Thorpe car park entrance :lol:
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
BenBowser

In the queue for rattlesnake at chessie, this family didn't know which ride it was, when they were literally standing next to the animatronic snake in the queue:

Woman: (looking at the map) is this the runaway train?
Daughter: no were in Mexico land
Grandmother: look there's the mountain, its the train
Woman: well I don't know, I think the rattlesnake has these zig zags
Grandmother: maybe your right, lets ask a worker

I was standing there laughing in to my hands as the bloke kindly pointed out to the woman that she was standing next to a fake rattlesnake.
Last edited by BenBowser on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scw55

When I went around Alton Towers with someone they referred to the Runaway Mine Train as a "Roller Coaster".

It's an understandable confusion.
It goes woosh-woosh on track.

Just it doesn't have the whole "Train/Car is not powered by anything".

I was too tired to correct him.
Last edited by scw55 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altontowersbarlow

I have not overheard this but the following is a quote form the waterslides rules and regulations section of The AT website. "Riders must be in god physical condition " :lol:
Burniel

Yeah well it's Merlin only god could afford it :lol:
Ziggy

Someone I was with on a school trip went, 'I've just been stuck upside down on Rita for like an hour!' 'Yeah sure you did...'
Last edited by Ziggy on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Ziggy wrote: Someone I was with on a school trip went, 'I've just been stuck upside down on Rita for like an hour!' 'Yeah sure you did...'
Even if Rita had inversions, the rides are engineered so that, should you break down, you will not be upside down!
scw55

A friend of mine told me that when they visited Alton Towers, Oblivion broke down with a car of riders on the holding breaks and they had to stay there.

I'm not sure that's even possible. Surely if Oblivion broke down, if a car was on the holding breaks, wouldn't someone be able to release the breaks and gravity takes over?
BenBowser

scw55 wrote: A friend of mine told me that when they visited Alton Towers, Oblivion broke down with a car of riders on the holding breaks and they had to stay there.

I'm not sure that's even possible. Surely if Oblivion broke down, if a car was on the holding breaks, wouldn't someone be able to release the breaks and gravity takes over?
I belive that it is impossible for a car to access the holding break before the track is clear. So in theory, should it break down, the computer would tell the ride to continue anyway. Unless it's an E-Stop of course.
Last edited by BenBowser on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam198

Ilovecoasters wrote: Even if Rita had inversions, the rides are engineered so that, should you break down, you will not be upside down!
Six Flags Great America just called... They can't stop laughing.
Last edited by Sam198 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Sam198 wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote: Even if Rita had inversions, the rides are engineered so that, should you break down, you will not be upside down!
Six Flags Great America just called... They can't stop laughing.
Confused
Last edited by Burniel on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lf2001

On a trip to the Towers once, I overheard some teenager say "I went on Oblivion and got stuck halfway down!" ...
Last edited by lf2001 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach

scw55 wrote: When I went around Alton Towers with someone they referred to the Runaway Mine Train as a "Roller Coaster".

It's an understandable confusion.
It goes woosh-woosh on track.

Just it doesn't have the whole "Train/Car is not powered by anything".

I was too tired to correct him.
Hate break it to you it is a rollercoaster although it's powered, by definition it is a
The Runaway Mine Train is a powered steel roller coaster made by MACK Rides of Germany. The ride is located in the Katanga Canyon area of Alton Towers in Staffordshire, England.
So yeah  :oops:  ;)
Inferno Attractions

In school

Know it all who really doesn't:The other day someone fell out of the Smiler and landed in a car underneath
Gullible person:Oh really
Know it all who really doesn't:Yeah it was on the News and everything
Gullible person:Are they ok?
Last edited by Inferno Attractions on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions