Funny Things You've Overheard at Parks

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Altontowersbarlow

I don't know if this is just me who thinks this is slightly on the silly side.
Lady in carnival of screams queue "Oh I hope this doesn't have clowns in it, I am scared of clowns"
henry.buxton.44

In Oblivion queue once a late teen girl: "I'm so scared, it's like 100 foot drop, I'm surprised people actually go on this ride often!" stupid
Last edited by henry.buxton.44 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks to lewis97 for the signature
Burniel

henry.buxton.44 wrote: in oblivion queue once a late teen girl: "im so scared, its like 100 foot drop, im surprised people actually go on this ride often!" stupid
Slightly confused as to how this is stupid
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
ruby_glitters

lewis97 wrote: Queuing in The Smiler's SRQ, I overheard a girl telling her mum that it was laughing gas coming out of The Giggler. I was quite surprised at how convinced the young girl was, that it was actually laughing gas!
It's a shame it's not, that could probably make it the world's best rollercoaster - and as the gas escapes inot the park, it'd make AT the happiest place on earth.....
"And this one time while queueing for the Smiler, I saw this woman dressed as a ninja, climd along the tracks and replace the bottle of smoke fluid with NOS." 

*goes of looking for a ninja costume and a bottle of nitrous oxide*  I want to ride the world's first NOS poweres rollercoaster!!!!
ukool

Yesterday whilst queuing for Thirteen I overheard a couple telling another couple that TOTT was free but all the other Scarefest event had to be paid for. Made me laugh as they were really confident with their information. They also told them they had been on them as well which confused me as to how they could get it wrong.

Although not a queue line overhearing, my sister asked if they used laughing gas on The Smiler. Not sure where that one came from lol
Last edited by ukool on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

Queuing outside the turnstiles at Chessington, when the woman in front was telling her sons what to do if they get lost. She said:

"Go to the nearest adult who works here"

Made me laugh
Last edited by Burniel on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubwolf

Not in a queue line but on the sky ride yesterday when we stopped over the valley a teenage lad said to his parents "oh look we have all stopped"  :lol:
Dom

I didn't hear it, but according to my little brother he rode air and was with three girls and as the ride ended one of them said.

"Oh my god. I actually felt like Superman."
Last edited by Dom on Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

These two fresh from chessie

1. [coming out of the sealife centre]
MUM: do you want to do Hocus pocus hall Halloween next?
LITTLE GIRL: No, it's not Halloween any more
MUM: oh really?
LITTLE GIRL: Yeah, it's been rethemed to sweetie land!
(?)

2. [in queue for rattlesnake]
KID1: I swear this is like the ride we did at winter wonderland
KID2: Yeah, chessington copied it
(Wanted to punch them so much)
Jack

[after coming off Apocalypse]

CHAV 1: aw, that was sick man innit
CHAV 2: yeah, we were goin' about 200 miles an hour, sick bruv
ME: yeeaaahh, it's only 50
CHAV 2: no man, that was 200
ME: look up the facts, and then tell me that :roll: *walks off with a smug grin*
Last edited by Jack on Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
obliviongirl

In the queue for Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park:
Boy 1: I can't wait to go on Nemesis!
Boy 2: It's called The Inferno!
Boy 3: I thought we were going on Rita?
TowersManiac0110

Chrazycat wrote: Some kid was doing a tour of all the rides once. We were in the RITA queue and there was this kid behind us with a group of people and he was saying "Now this is RITA. Its name is Alton Towers Intamin Rocket abbreviated backwards." He must have only been about 12, but he got all of his facts spot on... I felt a bit jealous actually...
That's a theory me and my friends came up with! I don't know if that was me or not then, maybe other people think this too!
sw7nutter

Thorpe park announcement thing: Please stop smoking, the smoke interferes with the electrics.

At the top of oblivion (01/11/13): oh look that ride must be the black hole
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
razgriz33

Mini mine train announcer:
"Hold you hands up in the air as the lap restraints are coming down and will be checked. If you feel silly holding your arms up in the air then why are you riding a roller coaster made for 5 year olds?"

"Hold on to all loose items such as hats, glasses, phones, children and dignity"

"Thanks for riding, the original queen of speed"

Flume staff:
In 6 celsius, damp weather, 11am
"How many? Sorry about your wait"
Last edited by razgriz33 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sw7nutter

razgriz33 wrote: Inspired by this thread and my recent weekend trip to AT.

What are the funniest things you've heard from ride staff, announcements etc.

Mini mine train announcer:
"Hold you hands up in the air as the lap restraints are coming down and will be checked. If you feel silly holding your arms up in the air then why are you riding a roller coaster made for 5 year olds?"

"Hold on to all loose items such as hats, glasses, phones, children and dignity"

"Thanks for riding, the original queen of speed"

Flume staff:
in 6 celsious, damp weather, 11am
"How many? Sorry about your wait"
Either the runaway train was saying that all day or we were on the same train.
the best thing i have heard though was definitely "thanks for riding the true queen of speed"
and "If you don't want to swim out the exit use the gate at the front."
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.
Jack

OK, at school today:

CHAV FRIEND: Have you been to Disneyland Paris in Florida?
ME: *facepalm*
Danny

Just got back from my trip to towers and it was hilarious!

Our whole train were waiting in the station on th13teen going choo choo like runaway. The ride operator then went over the tanoy 'there will be no choo chooing on this ride!'
As we returned we done it again and he went 'right all of you get off! I warned you!' In an angry voice, was really funny :)
Shutterbug

danny.g97 wrote: Just got back from my trip to towers and it was hilarious!

Our whole train were waiting in the station on th13teen going choo choo like runaway. The ride operator then went over the tanoy 'there will be no choo chooing on this ride!'
As we returned we done it again and he went 'right all of you get off! I warned you!' In an angry voice, was really funny :)
Today has been great for silly announcements :D the operator for Ripsaw had me and my brother in stitches as he was singing the instructors for getting on and off Ripsaw, taking the mickey out of people on the first row as they came in Halloween fancy dress. "You thought it was scarefest?! Well you've missed it!", singing to himself and saying things like "you don't want it on swingy mode? Well get on again and I'll put it on spinny mode!".

One of the runaway mine train operators was saying #choochoo at the end of his instructors for getting off...he sounded happier than he looked though  :)

The BEST thing I have ever seen/heard though is a ride operator encouraging everyone to sing "I believe I can fly" on Submission.
loulou87

When were on Ripsaw back in September, all our restraints were down and we were just ready to go when the operator announced "Ripsaw is a water ride and you will get wet, anybody who does not wish to get wet stand up now" then laughed and started the ride. My mate sat next to me said "how are we supposed to do that when we're fastened in!!" I don't think she got the joke  :lol:
Last edited by loulou87 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

FYI Guys - I've merged 'funny staff announcements' with this thread and changed the title to 'Funny things overheard at Alton Towers.' :)