The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
stageshoot

I think a lot of the problem is down to the naming of the "VIP Annual Pass"

If they had named it

"Unlimited Annual Pass" or "Fastrack Annual Pass" or something similar, then people would not be expecting more than it promises in the T&Cs

The problem is naming it VIP annual pass, people seem to be expecting more than is advertised and want the benefits that some of the stand alone VIP Packages offer. (The £200+ a day ones), that give first ride of the day all day front row etc.

This is not what the VIP Annual Pass was offered as and nowhere in the T&Cs does it say you can pick a row or expect front row etc etc. The fact some of the staff are going out of their way to be generous and offer this seems to be being abused a bit by people expecting/demanding front row every ride.

Let me say here, I am very happy with what it offers and the T&Cs are clear with what you get. In the first 4 weeks I have used mine 10 times at AT and twice at Thorpe, so its more than paid for already.

What I would like clarified is the rides that use the exit and those that use the fastrack, going often and on some days being sent to the exit and others getting sent from the exit to the fastrack is both annoying and detracts from the experience.

When We picked up our passes we were told by guest services, that Fastrack was just that and you use Fastrack lines on rides where they are available and open, if there is no fastrack line or if it is closed then use the exit. But this does not seem to be what is happening a lot of the time.

At AT early on in the day the Fastrack line at Nemesis is often not open, and several times we have got in a bounceback finding it closed going to the exit and being sent back to fastrack with the promise of it being opened and not being. That is just annoying and plain silly.

So sorry for waffling on but to bullet point I think we just need clarification on the original premise that its fastrack unless entrance closed and any offer of particular seating is if offered just a staff member going above and beyond to provide excellent service and not a right/guarantee.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Can we please remain on topic of the Merlin Annual Pass please and not get sidetracked with the Disabled Ride Access Pass. I have had to delete and edit multiple posts which have become argumentative or are off-topic.
Paul_richard

I don't think the VIP name is the issue, but it's rather the staff and what they've been told.

For example if I buy an ultimate fastrack at Thorpe Park, they tell you when you collect that you can ask for seats if you so wish and use the exit. Now VIP holders get given the ultimate fastrack which obviously carries the same restrictions as the paid version. Every time I've collect my wristband the staff at Thorpe have always said if you want to sit somewhere then ask, obviously rides like Stealth it shouldn't be seen a VIP perk as front row seating also has it's own dedicated fastrack (which is covered on the VIP / ultimate fastrack)

If all the staff are being told the same as it appears they are at Thorpe then everything works right. But it's when a member of staff refuses something then issues arise. I certainly don't arrive at the park expecting to get straight on a ride, sitting where I want - but where my pass allows me to (Stealth) then I expect the terms of the fastrack to be upheld and not cherry picked as per the ride ops mood, that's not unfair is it?

There will come a tipping point where the park will have to decide, maybe we've reached it given the feedback this weekend.
stageshoot

Paul_richard wrote:I don't think the VIP name is the issue, but it's rather the staff and what they've been told.

For example if I buy an ultimate fastrack at Thorpe Park, they tell you when you collect that you can ask for seats if you so wish and use the exit. Now VIP holders get given the ultimate fastrack which obviously carries the same restrictions as the paid version. Every time I've collect my wristband the staff at Thorpe have always said if you want to sit somewhere then ask, obviously rides like Stealth it shouldn't be seen a VIP perk as front row seating also has it's own dedicated fastrack (which is covered on the VIP / ultimate fastrack)

If all the staff are being told the same as it appears they are at Thorpe then everything works right. But it's when a member of staff refuses something then issues arise. I certainly don't arrive at the park expecting to get straight on a ride, sitting where I want - but where my pass allows me to (Stealth) then I expect the terms of the fastrack to be upheld and not cherry picked as per the ride ops mood, that's not unfair is it?

There will come a tipping point where the park will have to decide, maybe we've reached it given the feedback this weekend.
I was not told the above at Thorpe, the twice I have used the VIP Pass there I was told it was standard fastrack only and only to use the exit if the main fastrack line was closed, there is no mention on the Ultimate Fastrack Pass purchase page that it allows exit use or seat selection? The only thing they did say with the VIP Pass that was differewnt to the standard Ultimate Pass was that you could use fastrack on Detenator more than once my showing your VIP Pass. But apart from that it was standard fastrack lines at all times. So if you are being told different then again there seems to be a lot of inconsistency.
Paul_richard

Exactly, the consistency is the issue.

After my first trip and being told not to use the exit line for Inferno, but them being told at the gates to use the exit I emailed VIP@merlinannualpass.co.uk for clarification and they confirmed due to the merging of the queues that you can use the exit, which in turn also stated at the exit you can then ask to sit somewhere as you can't join the front row queue as it's on the otherside of the station.

On the receipt for your wristband it has Stealth on it twice, Stealth, Stealth PP.
Stealth PP is front row fastrack.

And there's the other issue, you have a VIP pass, they have VIP wristbands (Thorpe don't appear to be using them yet) but you get given an Ultimate fastrack pass which has a restriction on Detonator yet VIP pass has unlimited fastrack (I know they've said they will allow VIP's to fastrack as many times as they like) but if you've got the correct wristbands to match the correct pass then use it.

What rules do you follow if the VIP has "standard" fastrack (never knew that) but your being given the ultimate fastrack which the staff on rides treat differently?! It's a mess to say the least and of course if there is a difference between VIP and the ultimate pass then nothing is stopping you from not wearing your VIP pass and getting the better perks of the Ultimate pass.

Thanks
stageshoot

That may be another part of the issue,

both times I have been to Thorpe I have been given VIP Wristbands,, Not the Ultimate Fastrack ones, and the VIP Ones make no mention other than "VIP MERLIN ANNUAL PASS" on them.

Was supposed to be going last Sat for Summer nights but due to my dog being ill I stayed home, so may do Thorpe again next weekend and see how it goes.
Paul_richard

In all my trips we've always been given the Ultimate passes. Do you book your visit or just turn up?

Sorry to hear about the dog, hope all is good now.

stageshoot

Yep been booked in each time. Go to staff entrance and pick up wristbands at 9 am and been given the vip bands each time

As for dog yeah a lot better after a week of antibiotics cheers...

Paul_richard

stageshoot wrote:Yep been booked in each time. Go to staff entrance and pick up wristbands at 9 am and been given the vip bands each time

As for dog yeah a lot better after a week of antibiotics cheers...

Awe looks very rested! Good to hear.

We've booked in twice and gone to yellow door, and of course twice where we went to the fastrack booth on our own. Both VIP host times we've been walked to the fastrack outside the dome, then they just hand the ultimate passes over to the host, they then explain about Detonator and seating.

To be honest though I thought our passes matched the top fastrack available, so we effectively get the ultimate pass but 100% unlimited rides.

When you next go, try not booking yourself in and going to the fastrack booth on your own and see what they give you.

What wristbands do they give you at Alton towers?
stageshoot

Will try that next time

Both times I have been to thorpe I have waited in the staff reception they have brought the silver vip bands to me and then taken us back outside to wait at the gate till they let in the annual pass holders. Maybe it's different as both times I went I got there before the park opened

At Alton they always give you the silver vip bands and not the platinum fastrack passes they have got for the £92 daily fastrack package
Paul_richard

stageshoot wrote:Will try that next time

Both times I have been to thorpe I have waited in the staff reception they have brought the silver vip bands to me and then taken us back outside to wait at the gate till they let in the annual pass holders. Maybe it's different as both times I went I got there before the park opened

At Alton they always give you the silver vip bands and not the platinum fastrack passes they have got for the £92 daily fastrack package
I think that might be difference, you've got there before opening so the team have time to get the wristbands ready, I haven't seen many reports of people getting the VIP bands either. We usually arrive for 2pm and wonder about.

Last night we didn't go until 6:30, had to collect a pink summer nights wristband from the windows next to the yellow door (no windows open inside the yellow door) no VIP or fastrack wristband either.
Summer nights though you don't really need your VIP as all rides operate at the 5mins max wait time.

We've got Chessington planned for week after and then Legoland, never been to Legoland so kinda looking forward to it.
Paul_richard

V to the I to the P wrote:Back from another AT visit. Used exit on Rita no probs and also front seats. Oblivion fast track bit of a joke as when got there they were allowing non fast track visitors into that queue. I'd of demanded a refund if I had just purchased a fast track for oblivion and they were letting people in that queue that hadn't bought one! But as we had unlimited fast track we just went with it. Thirteen used exit and front seats. Nemesis same as usual fast track then have to queue again for the front. Really grinds my gears that one. Air used exit and front seats. So a good VIP day all in all apart from nemesis and oblivion.
I am really looking forward to our trip to Alton. All the reports seem to be positive apart from Nemesis double queuing, why can't they just follow Thorpe's lead and allow exit queuing.
Funkmaster2000

I have been to thorpe park twice - once at 9.30 am and once at 10 am - both times we were given vip wristband
Paul_richard

That's odd, so it seems if you visit at opening time then you get VIP wristband but appears afternoon you get Ultimate.

Maybe different staff or just it's easier for them to just give the ultimate passes out.
Mark-Cal

I think the disappointing thing for me with the VIP pass is that the fasttrack at Alton Towers just isn't a good system.
Most of the rides were never designed to have an express entrance so you end up with the far from satisfactory queue lines at Nemesis, Rita, Air etc..

After seeing how well Portaventura handles Fasttrack it's hard not to feel hard done to at the Towers.
Personally I'm not expecting my VIP pass to give me a better experience than other Fasttrack users, I would just like a better Fastpass experience for all users than Alton towers is currently providing.

With Smiler which was designed to have Fastpass from the start it works much better, and as far as I can see doesn't inconvenience anyone in the main queue line either.

There are always going to be people who hate the idea of fast passes, and these VIP passes are going to irritate people even more, but there are such a small number of them they're never going to make a difference to anyone's day out at the Towers.
Yesterday when I picked ours up from the Boxoffice the woman who issued them told me, "We have quite a few VIP passes in the Park today, with yours that makes 17"
I can't really see 17 people in the whole park spoiling anyone's visit, can you ? :)
Paul_richard

It's great that Alton keep a tally of how many VIP's are in the park, I don't think Thorpe do. Do Alton Towers still radio round the park to let staff know VIP's are in?

And yes same here, no problem at all queuing with other fastrack holders but there is an issue with rides like nemissis.

I wonder if those people who complain about fastrack realise that people are actually paying to do so, it's not free.
Aidan Lowe

Paul_richard wrote:Do Alton Towers still radio round the park to let staff know VIP's are in?
I believe so, I went Thursday and the woman at the express car park said she will tell them I was there. Maybe it's to get a wristband ready, who knows. But there is some communication going on.
Paul_richard

Mabalzich wrote:
Paul_richard wrote:Do Alton Towers still radio round the park to let staff know VIP's are in?
I believe so, I went Thursday and the woman at the express car park said she will tell them I was there. Maybe it's to get a wristband ready, who knows. But there is some communication going on.
Thanks for the reply.

That's good to know, at least they know your around if they use the radio. Plus it adds to the whole VIP status.
thedman31

Definitely thinking about going for one. I'm not sure I understand the "friends" thing. If I buy a VIP annual pass, what can I do in terms of allowing my wife to also get any use out of it too (accompany on rides etc.) or is there no advantage and its just me that benefits? Any advice would be great.
stageshoot

thedman31 wrote:Definitely thinking about going for one. I'm not sure I understand the "friends" thing. If I buy a VIP annual pass, what can I do in terms of allowing my wife to also get any use out of it too (accompany on rides etc.) or is there no advantage and its just me that benefits? Any advice would be great.
No benefits for anyone other than the cardholder, your wife/friend will either need to use the normal lines/buy a fastrack if not using a VIP card.

(They could have a swig out of your free unlimited free refill drinks if they wanted but thats about it!!) :lol

They are very strict on it the benefits are for the card holder only (Lets face it they are a business out to make a profit on these, if its a group or family they want to sell one to each member).

Even using the 2 free friends vouchers that comes with the VIP Pass gets no benefits for that person they still need to buy Fastrack if they want to use the fastrack with you