The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Paul_richard

thedman31 wrote:Topic seems to have gone quiet. Will hopefully be trying ours out at the weekend. Is the pass still working out for everyone?

Which park would people recommend for a first VIP experience? We are thinking of Chessington, Thorpe, Legoland or London. Legoland seems to be really good however will it be packed?
LEGOLAND will probably be busy but it makes no difference to your day if it is, it's exit queues all round and the most you wait is a few mins, I'd recommend you go there first and get a fix of VIP treatment. Chessignton appears to be a decent second (outside of London attractions) with Thorpe Park being a bit of a hit or miss approach.
Paul_richard

Hazard wrote:I know this one has been covered before but went to Thorpe Park today, queued in fast track for Nemesis Inferno then was told to use the exit queues in future.

Also thought the queing times for Swarm was crazy long not helped by the park running one train up until around mid-day, 100 minutes wait for Swarm by 11 and even with Fast Track we waited a good 30 minutes. ](*,)
I wish the hosts would make it clear to people you can use the exit, saves all the unnecessary queuing for Nemeses Inferno.

Was The Swarm waiting time because people weren't going over to the other side or because too many people into the batching area?
Hazard

Paul_richard wrote:
Hazard wrote:I know this one has been covered before but went to Thorpe Park today, queued in fast track for Nemesis Inferno then was told to use the exit queues in future.

Also thought the queing times for Swarm was crazy long not helped by the park running one train up until around mid-day, 100 minutes wait for Swarm by 11 and even with Fast Track we waited a good 30 minutes. ](*,)
I wish the hosts would make it clear to people you can use the exit, saves all the unnecessary queuing for Nemeses Inferno.

Was The Swarm waiting time because people weren't going over to the other side or because too many people into the batching area?
Too many in batching area not helped by only one train running until probably around 1pm. I went to the other side and waited ages. I would even go as far to say its always longer queuing across the bridge. Just a slow day for swarm, one train and nemesis not opening until 11 as well as the likes of rush. Was busy in the park as expected too.

Frustrating waiting that long whether its VIP or even fast track purchased on the day.
Paul_richard

Hazard wrote:
Paul_richard wrote:

Too many in batching area not helped by only one train running until probably around 1pm. I went to the other side and waited ages. I would even go as far to say its always longer queuing across the bridge. Just a slow day for swarm, one train and nemesis not opening until 11 as well as the likes of rush. Was busy in the park as expected too.

Frustrating waiting that long whether its VIP or even fast track purchased on the day.
I'd be very annoyed if I'd purchased a fastrack, I mean as a VIP I don't expect to get straight on but a reasonable queue is to be expected. I wonder why they decided single train, unless maintance couldn't be done before.

On another note that ebay seller is back claiming to offer VIP passes, so beware.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Merli ... 3f3aeaa1b6
pob

Swarm was also only running one train on Thursday morning. Took us about 40 mins to get on via the fastrack entrance. Main queue was advertised as 2 hours.
When we returned in the afternoon two trains were operating.
Paul_richard

Changed our plans and went Legoland again yesterday to avoid the rain today, VIP service was the same as the week before (exit entry on all rides, staff knowing, free drinks etc)

There was a lot of other guests faffing the the annual pass entrance so we decided to use the normal turnstiles and all our passes came up red and not accepted, the member of staff looked at the passes and then said that normal turnstiles wont accept them as VIP's don't use them and our passes require both photo check and to ensure you have your wristband. They then moved us through a gate and scanned them on the handheld device and all showed green.

I wonder if that's true about the turnstiles or if there is an issue with scanning.
Lordmajestic01

Recent feedback on a few of the parks, any thoughts?

The Merlin drinks capsules are in my opinion not fit for purpose. Please let me explain, the seal around the lining of the inside of the cap is not strong enough, as such every single time we have used our 6 capsules they have leaked. I have discussed this with friends whom also hold VIP Passes and they have confirmed that they have had exactly the same experiences e.g the capsules have a tendency to leak even when held straight.

2.      In both Thorpe Park and Lego Land there are NO car park attendants, and each time we had to park on the grassy areas as everyone seemed to park wherever they wanted and invariably this will tend to be as close to the entrance as possible. So essentially there has been no Priority Parking.

3.       The Merlin Hotel discounts and discounts in general is something I believe needs to be reviewed, how can the discount be the same for Standard/VIP when there is a difference in cost of nearly 5 times more for the VIP Pass, the cost of pass of the VIP should thus reflect an increased discount.

4.      There needs to an acknowledgement of VIP pass holders and persons whom purchase a daily ultimate fast track ticket, the VIP holders should be utilising the exits when boarding rides and not waiting in the fast track quee.

5. I have not received any information on Golden Experiences, please send me what is available now and possibly in the future.

Momoffour

I agree should be standard across the board for VIP passes to use the exits
Dan

Momoffour wrote:I agree should be standard across the board for VIP passes to use the exits
I disagree.

The VIP pass entitles you to "Unlimited Fastrack" not "Unlimited use the exit to get straight onto the ride".

When you actually stop and think about how much time we save by using the Fastrack queue rather than the main queue it just shows how much of a perk the VIP pass is (I rode The Smiler 6 times in an hour on my last visit when the main queue was 90 minutes, and it could have been more but I wasn't exactly rushing around)

The issue I have is that there are still different procedures at different parks (at Thorpe staff are telling people to use the exit on certain rides, yet at Alton you are told you have to use the Fastrack queue)

All it needs is a bit of consistency.
chrish

Lordmajestic01 wrote:Recent feedback on a few of the parks, any thoughts?

The Merlin drinks capsules are in my opinion not fit for purpose. Please let me explain, the seal around the lining of the inside of the cap is not strong enough, as such every single time we have used our 6 capsules they have leaked. I have discussed this with friends whom also hold VIP Passes and they have confirmed that they have had exactly the same experiences e.g the capsules have a tendency to leak even when held straight.

They do have a tendancy to leak. I feel the yearly cups would be much better being redesigned. I'd really like a bottle with a screw top rather than one that goes around the neck because it just leaks all over my top.

2.      In both Thorpe Park and Lego Land there are NO car park attendants, and each time we had to park on the grassy areas as everyone seemed to park wherever they wanted and invariably this will tend to be as close to the entrance as possible. So essentially there has been no Priority Parking.

Priority at Thorpe Park in the hotel car park, which is just on the perminiter on the car park. I have never seen any staff on the car park only when leaving. Legoland Priority is sign posted, but if arriving late it can full.

3.       The Merlin Hotel discounts and discounts in general is something I believe needs to be reviewed, how can the discount be the same for Standard/VIP when there is a difference in cost of nearly 5 times more for the VIP Pass, the cost of pass of the VIP should thus reflect an increased discount.

Agree

4.      There needs to an acknowledgement of VIP pass holders and persons whom purchase a daily ultimate fast track ticket, the VIP holders should be utilising the exits when boarding rides and not waiting in the fast track quee.

I agree, but we did just pay for fast track. :-k

5. I have not received any information on Golden Experiences, please send me what is available now and possibly in the future.

See the part of the website for VIP it is on the drop down menu.

:D See above for my answers.
Ladyofthelake

Perhaps all it needs is for each attraction to produce a simple leaflet stating which attractions you can use the fastrack entrance for and which you can use the exit. That way both guests and staff will know exactly what should be happening.
Paul_richard

Dan.N The issue I have is that there are still different procedures at different parks (at Thorpe staff are telling people to use the exit on certain rides, yet at Alton you are told you have to use the Fastrack queue)

All it needs is a bit of consistency.
Exactly the problem is the consistency. Anyone who has been to LEGOLAND Windsor will back me up and say your are actually treated like a VIP - told to use the exits on all rides, when you get to the exit gate for the ride the staff are expecting you and your not going to be told "why are you here etc" (now been twice and the experience was the same both times, so at least at LEGOLAND it is consistent)

Thorpe Park has good and bad days, sometimes we get told to use the exits and others we get told only certain rides. But after our first visit Nemesis Inferno is always exit entry (was confirmed by the VIP team so I can't understand why the don't make a point of telling other VIP's)

I suppose next year things might change, I suspect they will rename it or make it more like LEGOLAND at the other attractions.
Ryan.B

Do any other parks have a perk machine like alton's and on that note where has the perk machine gone? :? Was looking for it on Saturday but couldn't find it.
chrish

AT lover wrote:Do any other parks have a perk machine like alton's and on that note where has the perk machine gone? :? Was looking for it on Saturday but couldn't find it.
I asked about the perk machine in April and was told it was in a cupboard/storage.
Mark-Cal

The Perks machine hasn't been switched on since the start of the season and no one at the gate seemed to know why, and now it's disappeared altogether.
I bet it doesn't make a comeback.
Dom

What is a perks Machine?
Paul_richard

Hazard

I posted this in the Facebook group but felt disappointed that Oblivion were using the fast track queue to split the queue today making the fast track pointless (VIP or purchased on day).
Aidan Lowe

They've done that for some time now, it keeps overall queue down for everyone.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Dan

I've been in contact with the VIP team this afternoon regarding my trip to Towers with the other half in September.

She isn't a VIP holder so I emailed them just on the off chance that they'd be able to arrange some sort of discounted fastrack for her for when we go.

I've been told that I can exchange a Celebration ticket for a Platinum fastrack at the Box Office, which is not what I was expecting. I'm not sure whether this is something they've started doing recently but it is good of them to offer something that allows part of the VIP experience to non-VIP holders.