The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
thedman31

Oh and how do you actually book the river boat experience?
Lordmajestic01

The passes were issues on the 12/07 for 12 months, however Merlin have agreed to re-issue all six to state the expiry on the card as 19/07/15 as opposed to the 12/07/15!
stageshoot

thedman31 wrote:Oh and how do you actually book the river boat experience?
Just phone the VIP booking line and tell them the day and time you want to go, they will reserve a place and issue a booking reference.
pob

Had a good VIP experience at Madame Tussards in Blackpool yesterday. On arrival we were each given a voucher for a free Wax Hand session which are normally £10 each. A nice unexpected bonus.
Lee

thedman31 wrote:I'm probably going to be picking up my pass on Friday.

I remember something about having to bring a passport photo but is there anything else that I will need?
Where are you picking them up from? Most, if not all, MAP issue points have webcams to take a picture of you there and then so therefore the passport photo isn't required :) just some ID and the bank card you paid with is all that's needed.
Hazard

All I needed was my reference number when collecting the card. If collecting on behalf of someone else who isn't there then something like a facebook photo (on your phone) can be used to issue them a pass. Obviously the photo has to be suitable and clear.

Thinking of doing Legoland later in the week as haven't been before so hopefully it will be a good experience, then maybe pop to Alton Towers the same evening and stay over. :D
Dom

A quick question. Does the pass holder have to be there for friends and family tickets?
Ladyofthelake

The passholder does need to be present as you usually have to show your pass to collect the tickets. When I booked a Sealife ticket for my brother I was asked on the phone if I was going to be there too as the MAP acts as proof of eligibility for the discount.
Paul_richard

I don't remember seeing this when the VIP site went live, so it appears to be an update
Your V.I.P. Merlin Annual Pass is your Magic Wand to enter the Fastrack Queue, on rides where Fastrack is available.
Luce

I think that if a ride doesn't have a Fastrack queue, then the exit is used. I used the exit of Rattlesnake at Chessington on Sunday with other VIP pass holders so I believe that's probably what that means :)
Paul_richard

Thanks Luce, I wasn't sure if that was Merlin trying to slip in a change or clarification as there still seems mixed reports of where to queue on some rides (mixed instructions from staff)

What was Chessington like?

Thanks
hursty

Paul_richard wrote:I don't remember seeing this when the VIP site went live, so it appears to be an update
Your V.I.P. Merlin Annual Pass is your Magic Wand to enter the Fastrack Queue, on rides where Fastrack is available.
It used to read "Your V.I.P. Merlin Annual Pass is your Magic Wand to enter the Fastrack Queue."

They also quietly changed the much more prominent "Fastrack. Always." to "Fastrack. Always, on rides where Fastrack is available."

Luce wrote:I think that if a ride doesn't have a Fastrack queue, then the exit is used. I used the exit of Rattlesnake at Chessington on Sunday with other VIP pass holders so I believe that's probably what that means :)

Thorpe, Chessington and Legoland have been superb with VIPs with their combination of Exits or Fastrack Entrances.

Alton seem to have a slightly different take - in that if it doesn't have a fastrack queue, then you should join the regular queue.
CBeebies seems to be one of the key areas of difficulty, in that - whilst they do a special Priority Pass for CBeebies Land (use the exit/disabled entrance), they will turn away VIPs - but equally they don't sell fastrack.

What experiences have people had of non-fastrack entrances at Alton Towers?

I do wonder if the change on the website might be about restricting the exit use at the southern parks.
Whilst Fastrack is technically as product, to me fastrack is fastrack regardless of which entrance you use - so long as your queue-time is less.
"Fastrack. Always, on rides where Fastrack is available." sounds much more like Alton Towers' stance, rather than the southern parks.
Hazard

Someone posted in the Facebook group about VIP passes being allowed in the c beebies land at Alton towers.
hursty

This was a portion of an email I had from the VIP team just over a month ago:
The V.I.P Merlin Annual Pass offers unlimited fast track to the theme park rides where there is a fast track available. Unfortunately as CBeebies Land at Alton Towers Resort does not have this available we are unable to include this in the unlimited fast track service.
I have also been turned away from the gate of In the Night Garden in CBeebies Land.
stageshoot

Paul_richard wrote:I don't remember seeing this when the VIP site went live, so it appears to be an update

I thnk Merlin could be on sticky ground here, changing Terms & Conditions after purchase would be seen as unfair if any case was brought against them.

There have been multiple changes to the wording of the terms and conditions since the passes went on sale, the one about fastrack for example as detailed below

NEW TERMS

AND THE OLD VERSION WHICH WAS IN PLACE WHEN PASSES WERE ON SALE

Last edited by stageshoot on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markfranklin

Yes - if I start being denied access at ride exits on non-FT rides, I will have something to say. My wife and I called the VIP helpline twice before purchasing the passes, and we were told both times that on non-FT rides, we can use the exit gate.

That was a big factor in our decision to buy them, as my daughter is young and uses quite a lot of the non-FT rides.

I have never been turned away thus far (Chessington and Legoland), but will keep it monitored.
stageshoot

With regards to the original T&CS which were in force when the passes were on sale.

Thanks to the waybackwhen machine, they are all available here for comparison with any changes

http://web.archive.org/web/201406260406 ... k/vip.aspx

Sorry that may not be valid, the first date the T&Cs were captured was July 8th, and I think they were edited before then. I think I have a full screenbrab of the orginals from June 18th will have a look for it.
thedman31

Topic seems to have gone quiet. Will hopefully be trying ours out at the weekend. Is the pass still working out for everyone?

Which park would people recommend for a first VIP experience? We are thinking of Chessington, Thorpe, Legoland or London. Legoland seems to be really good however will it be packed?
Zach

In regards to the wording changes you can't complain because of there is no fast track queue as they state how can u join it haha
Hazard

I know this one has been covered before but went to Thorpe Park today, queued in fast track for Nemesis Inferno then was told to use the exit queues in future.

Also thought the queing times for Swarm was crazy long not helped by the park running one train up until around mid-day, 100 minutes wait for Swarm by 11 and even with Fast Track we waited a good 30 minutes. ](*,)