The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Liam_s99

Questions about the Premium Merlin Annual Pass.
Are the share the fun vouchers available to use multiple time at multiple attractions, once at each attraction, or just once at one attraction?
DavidRock

Just got home from work and got a Merlin letter.... they have now cancelled the Merlin Membership Programme (for the people who don't know it was the same as an annual pass but you paid monthly at £15.99)

It was launched a few years ago and they haven't run it in the last two years. So if uou got one it was lucky. I know it cost £50 more but it kinda didn't have the whole outlay of money ey all in one go. Also it never ran out ....well until today :( also didn't need a new pic every year.... I've had a annual pass since 2000 when Tussards ran them and I will go back to the MAP premium I'm just a little9 gutted that they have stopped it.

On the plus side it does say that the last payment would be taken in Feb (so mine has come out my account) and as a gesture of goodwill the pass will still be valid until 30th September (damn just before scare fest and fireworks) it also states in the letter that MAP Membership can purchase an MAP at the sale price until 30th November 2016. The standard sale does end this Sunday for non MAP Membership members so that's kinda a nice gesture.

Just thought I'd let you know as I now go off the Tesco (other leading supermarkets are availble) to grab as many Club card points as possible le to grab a cheap MAP...

Way to start the 2016 season Merlin .......
Morgan

Just to let you know, you have to pay an extra bit of money if you want a premium MAP using Tesco vouchers. These are still available.
DavidRock

Morgan wrote:Just to let you know, you have to pay an extra bit of money if you want a premium MAP using Tesco vouchers. These are still available.
Cheers Morgan .... yeah it's £50 to upgrade as the voucher is only for a standard MAP we didn't have enough clubcard points this year so my partner has just renewed her Premium I just want my pass to start at the same time so there will be no cross over between my new pass and her existing one. Merlin have said I can use the £10 vouchers on the welcome pack for me for scare fest and fireworks aa the membership card will be void.

I reckon get my pass before November when the special members price ends and start the pass on 20th Feb 2017 when her pass is due for renewal. We only renewed her pass on Monday this week.

You have got 6 months to activate the MAP from when you purchase it. Plus in the winter we only really do sealife Birmingham as we train in Birmingham anyway.
Aidan Lowe

I didn't even know about the MMP. Another questionable decision to end it especially if the annual outgoings for the pass exceeded what the actual price of the pass cost all be it for the convenience of paying in installments. Turning away extra cash, strange business decision.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Justin

It has been on the cards since 2014.
I've been a member since the early days; however the membership was soon forgotten about and updates not given to existing members. Certainly with regards to the perks, then with the Annual Pass Privilege packs being issued, Memberships were forgotten about again! Some members have had issues with their pass, although I didn't and some Merlin employees were completely unaware of the pass!

Although paying for an Annual Pass outright was not an issue, I liked the convenience of not having to renew and collect each year. Even though I have 6 months free, I'll be renewing within the next few months as to benefit from future sale renewal prices!
Xenor

lewis97 wrote:I don't know the answer personally, but you could try asking them via Twitter @MerlinapUK whether it's possible to change the pick-up location or have it mailed instead.
I finally got round to asking them. Turns out they can't change the pickup location or change from pickup to post. Whoever designed such a system really should be fired, because changing something like that should be simple. No doubt they just say they can't do it because they can't be bothered to spend five minutes to help their customers rather than that it can't be done.
Last edited by Dom on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of explicit language
Lee

Xenor wrote:
lewis97 wrote:I don't know the answer personally, but you could try asking them via Twitter @MerlinapUK whether it's possible to change the pick-up location or have it mailed instead.
I finally got round to asking them. Turns out they can't change the pickup location or change from pickup to post. Whoever designed such a system really should be fired, because changing something like that should be simple. No doubt they just say they can't do it because they can't be bothered to spend five minutes to help their customers rather than that it can't be done.
A little strong, no?

I imagine it's an assignment and security issue. When buying online, you purchase from the attraction itself (now your MAP home attraction) as you would standard tickets. It is possible in extreme situations for them to do something for you, but it is a case of them going out of their way to do so. I imagine, based on the way that post has come across that you may not have had the most pleasant of interactions with the contact centre which quite possibly lead to your issue.

They may have tightened down on rules recently however, I know that they have elsewhere.
Xenor

Lee wrote:A little strong, no?

I imagine it's an assignment and security issue. When buying online, you purchase from the attraction itself (now your MAP home attraction) as you would standard tickets. It is possible in extreme situations for them to do something for you, but it is a case of them going out of their way to do so. I imagine, based on the way that post has come across that you may not have had the most pleasant of interactions with the contact centre which quite possibly lead to your issue.

They may have tightened down on rules recently however, I know that they have elsewhere.
Perhaps. It just annoys me when a company makes something really difficult/impossible that should be really easy. I work in IT and something like that should be as simple as a database change for the home attraction, and if it's not then the system was designed poorly (which can be the case with older systems). Changing from pickup to post would be a bit more work however as a notification would need to be sent to whoever does the print and posting.

The Twitter account has since replied being more helpful, asking me to contact the attraction directly and giving me the contact information to ask them. If they'd responded that way the first time I'd have not been as unhappy. How you word something in customer service matters.
craig.day.92

Does anyone know if the MAP gets you any discount for Gardaland at all?
Liam.W

craig.day.92 wrote:Does anyone know if the MAP gets you any discount for Gardaland at all?
should do, it is owned by Merlin after all. I'm not sure what the discount is though. You will probably have to ask them on Twitter, facebook or on their website
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

craig.day.92 wrote:Does anyone know if the MAP gets you any discount for Gardaland at all?
Merlin state that it's up to 50% off international entry on the MAP website - select 'In Our Worlds' then scroll down to the bottom.
DeadJack5

I am thinking of buying a premium Merlin annual pass in the future because of the sale but wanted to know what extras I get with the premium. I know it says so on the website but I mean precise discounts for friends, what discounts of food and drink I get and where the free parking is in Alton towers?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post it in, can some post a link to an appropriate forum if I am in the wrong one. Thank you
118hazaman

Deadjack5 wrote:I am thinking of buying a premium Merlin annual pass in the future because of the sale but wanted to know what extras I get with the premium. I know it says so on the website but I mean precise discounts for friends, what discounts of food and drink I get and where the free parking is in Alton towers?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post it in, can some post a link to an appropriate forum if I am in the wrong one. Thank you
Hi Deadjack5, the exact discounts for friends across the merlin attractions can be found here. You pretty much get 20% off most things at the 4 parks, including food and drink and store bought items. Sometimes it might not be 20% but most of the time it seems to be. The free parking at Alton Towers is the standard parking. Upon exiting the park normal guests would purchase a parking ticket. As a Premium MAP owner, all you have to do is scan the card at the exit gate. I think this is the same for all four of the Merlin theme parks.

More information about the other perks can be found here.
Dom

The 20% discount does not apply to actual branded food outlets like Burger King and KFC, which I believe are only at Thorpe Park now
Speedy_no1

In some of the service stations on motorways you can use your pass at Burger King so why shouldn't we be aloud to use them on site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MakoMania

Speedy_no1 wrote:In some of the service stations on motorways you can use your pass at Burger King so why shouldn't we be aloud to use them on site

Because Merlin have a specific agreement with service stations that only apply to Burger King stores at these locations.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Speedy_no1

Well if there on site at Thorpe they should have the same agreement

MakoMania

Speedy_no1 wrote:Well if there on site at Thorpe they should have the same agreement

They are franchises, so in theory Thorpe/Merlin should have control of the ones in the park. I'm no expert though so don't quote me :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
ASturge21

MakoMania wrote:
Speedy_no1 wrote:Well if there on site at Thorpe they should have the same agreement

They are franchises, so in theory Thorpe/Merlin should have control of the ones in the park. I'm no expert though so don't quote me [emoji38]
Franchises can apply to parent company to set up but I think Merlin would be the franchise for the brand stores in park.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk