The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
sw7nutter

Actually the prices were never increased. They were increased the day the sale started. Which certainly isn't a lawful period of time.
Fiyero

sw7nutter wrote:Actually the prices were never increased. They were increased the day the sale started. Which certainly isn't a lawful period of time.
Isn't that what the furniture companies do? Sale Price £899, price after event £2499
Zac

Yes, it may be a loophole in the law, however it is very misleading to label it as a sale
sw7nutter

DFS has done that in the past and have been taken to court over it. It is illegal and not a loophole. They just rely on no one will take action, which often no one does.
Tom G

You're getting confused about what is on sale here.

New passes are what is on sale, not renewals. They have simply matched the renewal price to the current new pass sale price.

Prices do rise and always have - I do not understand the controversy.
Nathan_Fisher

Tom G wrote:You're getting confused about what is on sale here.

New passes are what is on sale, not renewals. They have simply matched the renewal price to the current new pass sale price.

I agree with you Tom, I also can't understand all the controversy, like with all other companies Merlin need to put there prices up. Go into a retail store and prices are regularly going up and there's nothing we can do about it. As for the MAP sale Merlin are offering the sale on new passes and have matched the previous renewal price. No matter how much people complain to Merlin they wont change it. At the end of the day every company needs profit and this is one way Merlin achieve this. :D
NeilHD

Nathan_Fisher wrote:
Tom G wrote:You're getting confused about what is on sale here.

I agree with you Tom, I also can't understand all the controversy, like with all other companies Merlin need to put there prices up. Go into a retail store and prices are regularly going up and there's nothing we can do about it. As for the MAP sale Merlin are offering the sale on new passes and have matched the previous renewal price. No matter how much people complain to Merlin they wont change it. At the end of the day every company needs profit and this is one way Merlin achieve this. :D
How do you not understand the controversy?

People offered renewals via email at one price, then told it is much higher when they try to buy.
Always having been told the renewal is cheaper than buying new. Now it isn't.
Instead of decreasing prices in the sale, prices have instead increased and we are told it is on sale. This is illegal.
Some benefits taken away for both Standard and Premium.
Prices have increased by 20%. This is not a fair increase. 5% might have been ok. 20% is not.
Ignoring or giving canned responses on social media.

I have bought passes for my family for the past 5 years. We've always renewed in the sale as it's been cheaper to renew than to buy new. This year we won't be renewing. I might consider Chessington-only passes as this is what we visit most, and that actually includes parking. It's all very well saying it's good value if you visit 10 times or whatever. But I only visit 10 times BECAUSE I have a pass. Without it, I wouldn't visit. So they also lose on food, drink, merchandise, ride photo sales.
Morgan

Seems Merlin are making less instead of more.
Their plan backfired.
bensaund

Well said you two
Dom

I personally don't see what the issue is here. Chances are that VIP pass holders will have to pay the same price as a new pass to renew. So why shouldn't that be rolled out over every pass? Yes i get that an email stated something different etc.... but In order to renew wouldn't you have had to go the Merlin Website, which did say the prices would be changing on the 26th? Since the introduction of the VIP pass, it was only a matter of time before Merlin changed the perks of each pass.
bensaund

Due to very large number of people complaining there does seem to be an issue due to the hike in price and how things were communicated. I would be interested to see the pass sales for this year against last year as for me I had the money waiting but held off until after Christmas as historically it has always been cheaper. Now so many others including myself will not be renewing. You can't hike up the price call it a sale and reduce benefits and think people will put up with it.
Nathan_Fisher

Every now and then prices will increase, if people are complaining about the price now then whats going to happen in about 5 years time in 2020. I wouldn't mind betting that the passes will be close to £300 when the time comes.
bensaund

We don't mind price increases, but these have to be justified.

Keep them in line with inflation is there is no change

Or do it the Merlin way 20% increase and reduce what you get them force you to pay booking fees on top. Reduce your access to London attractions.

I woukd have no issue if the price had gone up £5-£10 and everything was the same. Can't people see you are paying more for less and more hidden charges?
sw7nutter

Inflation is at 1%. This price rise is not inline with inflation. It is most certainly paying more for less.
Dom

I can see everyone's argument, but don't people think they are making a mountain out a mole hill with all this complaining. Merlin probably won't change their minds now, so either deal with it or lump it. You get the service you pay for when it comes to the perks of the pass. I mean, you wouldn't pay for standard seats on a plane and expect First class.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

No, but then you wouldn't expect, once you've taken off, to be told that you can't use the toilet because it's brand new. ;)
Dom

You've just described Easyjet. :lol All i'm saying is that it isn't just price that people are complaining about. They have also been complaining about the perks you get with the passes. I think people forget that if they have a pass they are more than likely to visit the parks/attractions more than 3/4 times in the year they have the pass, even with restrictions. So by that fact, you would have actually paid more if you didn't have the pass then you would if you had the pass. Plus if you work it out on gate price or even online price for tickets to each park /attraction and then factor in the discounts the passes give you, it still works out a hell of a lot cheaper buying a pass if you plan to visit the parks/attractions more than 3/4 times in a year.
fabiasimon

I can guarantee the only people not complaining here are the people that do not have big families and only by single passes..........

I for one have a family of 5 and it is not a cheap lay out, now in the sale and up to the 26th December I could of renewed for £93.20 PP. (Premium passes)

Cost for 5 would of been £468
Cost now is £595 An increase of £127 (27%)

This for me is not justifiable and is a complete disgrace. Bearing in mind they are advertising the current prices are going to be the lowest this year (2015) so this price will go up further after the so called sale.

I have emailed merlin expressing my disappointment and got a standard reply. We will not be renewing and neither will my brother and his family of 4.

I appreciate prices going up but surely in line with inflation?? Not 27%

I have been a pass holder for 5 years and it is merlin that will miss out not me. Once my current pass expires merlin will not get another penny off me.

Merlin - Greedy company who do not value their customers.

Thanks
Simon
SuperWill

Renewed my annual pass today at Towers! The £10 vouchers aren't birthday ones anymore! Which is great for those who's birthdays are from mid-November to mid-March! I personally like the way how they aren't birthday vouchers anymore (despite that my birthday is in May!).

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
sw7nutter

Birthday vouchers were stupid. None of my family could use them. Merlin have really annoyed me. They have for a while but now I have had enough.