The Merlin Annual Pass

General theme park and attraction industry chat, along with the world of theme park gaming.
Dormiens-Dave

Also on the BOGOF issue the vouchers provide an oppertunity for cheep advertising

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Rollercoaster5000

Someone said on facebook that they have actually emailed watchdog about this. :shock: Hope they feature it on the show to make everyone aware of this.
JUST EMAILED THIS TO WATCHDOG.
Merlin entertainment are ripping people off who are annual pass holders.
We have always had FREE PARKING attractions included in the price of a annual pass.And now they are going to start charging merlin annual pass holders for parking.So we buy a annual pass and have to pay £5 everytime we... want to use it.
They are also trying to force everyone to buy a premium pass,As standard passes are stopping free parking,but the premium passes include parking.
This has been done so when our passes run out we have to pay for parking when we renew.
1000's of people on there merlin annual pass facebook page are complaining about it.
Passes have been returned for refunds.
There is also a facebook page been started to keep free parking.
Some people can not afford to pay £5 to park at a attraction you are paying to enter anyway.
Mr.D.J.Leaning.
AWAITING A REPLY.
Islander

Whilst I think that contacting Watchdog may be a good idea, that is a truly awful letter - very confused, muddled and poorly written. Would be much better to send something half-decent, which a) gets the point across, and b) might actually be understandable... :no:
Chris-TT

I've also been speaking to Watchdog about this issue. Stay tuned...
Deleted

Renewals

Standard Passholders

Standard Passholders may renew to a Standard Pass for

Individuals - £108 inc. VAT

Family of 3, 4 or 5 - £72pp inc. VAT

Or may upgrade to Premium Pass when renewing for

Individuals - £129.60 inc. VAT

Family of 3, 4 or 5 - £93.60pp inc. VAT

Premium Passholders

Premium Passholders may renew to a Premium Pass for

Individuals - £129.60 inc. VAT

Family of 3, 4 or 5 - £93.60pp inc. VAT

Upgrades

All current Standard Passholders may upgrade at any time to a Premium Pass from the 4th January for just £30pp

Tesco Clubcard token holders – 2011

If you currently hold Tesco Clubcard tokens for a Standard Merlin Annual Pass please be advised that if you exchange your token for a Pass before the 3rd January 2011 standard parking will remain free with no further changes until Pass expiration.

After the 4th January, the 2011 Terms & Conditions apply.

Prices and information correct at time of release
Last edited by Deleted on Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiogoJ42

Much as I would love to send a complaint to Watchdog, as a BBC employee, and someone who has worked on the show in the past (not recently), it would be a conflict of interest for me to get involved in such a campaign. :(
However, I fully support any such efforts, and encourage all of you to write in. They love this kind of thing. Just look at how they layed into Legoland over a few wasps!
furie

What's the market value for a Standard Pass? Let's look at the competition shall we?

Flamingoland: £100
Lightwater Valley: £60
Pleasure Beach Blackpool: £90
Merlin Annual Pass: £150

So for less than double the cost of a FL and PBB pass (and a third of the cost of the LWV pass), you get access to the 20-odd attractions. In pure theme park terms though, it's three of the countries best parks.

For Blackpool, you'll also have to pay for parking, around £5 for the day.

On top, you then also get 20% discount on the food, drink and merchandise you buy. The MAP is (comparative to the rest of the country) bloody good value.

The issue here is purely on how it's been presented.

First up, it was the fact the announcement was "leaked", and people got their knickers in a twist about losing free parking on their current passes. So people are straight away narked.

Then, it seems like the Standard Pass is getting a value downgrade - it is. What they needed to do was rebrand the entire MAP system. So the Standard Pass gets a £40 price increase and then there's a "super saver pass" or something with the restrictions. Same details, different names. That way current pass holders get the same benefits they have now, they just have to pay more for it.

There'd be uproar about the price hike I'm sure, but it's all about what the MAP offers to you in terms of value.

We've had a fantastic "free ride" for years now on the incredible value the MAP offers. Just because it offers us great value, doesn't mean that Merlin are seeing massive returns from it. Cost per head for a MAP holder in the park is higher than it is for a paying guest. I don't know what the equation is, but there will be a number of times an AP holder will have to visit before they are a "better" guest than a standard payer (probably around 6-10 visits is the optimum for them on somebody buying a full price Standard Pass (rather than a cheap upgrade or Tesco vouchers). I think if you visit more than whatever the balance point is, then you end up making them little money, or they run at a loss for you.

Hence the changes in the pass prices. You can shout and moan all you want (and it HAS been badly handled by Merlin and their staff), but they can do what they like to ensure they continue as a profitable company, with money to reinvest in the parks you love.

The MAP doesn't hold massive value for family_furie any more as we rarely use it for anywhere other than Alton. So I think in future we'll just be looking at a pure Alton Pass and then bogoffs for the other parks/attractions. The parking fee then tips the entire thing in favour of ditching the MAP.

Will Merlin be bothered? I doubt it very much, they'll still get our custom in some way, shape or form. They'll be bothered that they have to align their prices though to cover their costs. Making a loss on each MAP sold and selling 2 million is much worse than making £2 on each pass and only selling 50.

It's rubbish, it's taken away something we've been using and abusing for years, it's just life. If you can't afford to go to Merlin attractions as much next year, then it's unfortunate.

For anyone to think though that in this economy a company is acting out of greed is wrong headed. Theme Parks are not a necessity, they're a treat. Merlin cannot afford to be greedy, but they also cannot afford to be making a loss. Sorry it's so upsetting, but I'd rather pay a fiver parking and have the parks and new attractions than it be free and we end up with three more Camelots and Light Waters...
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Islander

[quote=""Kryn""]
Or may upgrade to Premium Pass when renewing for

Individuals - £129.60 inc. VAT[/quote]
OK, without actually commenting on anything else (...and I really hate to say this...), the standard > premium upgrade cost actually looks mildly reasonable...
Colossus

But who actually ever pays full price for renewal or even a MAP in the first place? I have never once renewed my pass at full price or bought a new one at full price. I just wait until they have a sale, get a £75 gift voucher and then once my pass has expired, get a new one using the gift voucher as its valid for 10 months from date of issue.

As for what Furie said, yes Merlin are a business, but at the end of the day, I dont care if they make money or not. Thats not my problem. I just try and get the best deal that I can for me and my family.
Anonymous

Gosh, if people are happy to throw another £20-30 at the fire, then burn me up. I wouldn't mind that cash!

My standard pass has never cost me any more than £75-80 a year. £130? gtfo tbh :)

£20-30 extra per pass.
Extra £5s every time. Maybe merlin might knock off some of their debt this year, not surprised they'd have to do this though, Failteen has done this to them.
Dormiens-Dave

I find you dont provide me with the entertainment merlin does though brett ;-)

Its not the worst deal considering the stable price the last two years VAT and blackpool. I think they should however honour all issued tesco vouchers.

Its not ideal but its not horrendous i just hope merlin start investing in their attractions more. Though i wont hold my breath

Rob L

When you take a step back and look at what is now being offered with the Premium Pass, then it is a good deal. The Standard Pass in my opinion is pointless and serves no purpose for me anyway, as I would save more money buying a Premium Pass then I would getting a cheaper Standard Pass but also having to pay for parking. It's very clever what Merlin have done, they've almost just increased the price of the Standard Pass and re-named it the Premium Pass, and the Standard Pass is the "new" option, like furie said, a "super-saver" type pass.

I think Merlin were hoping for more interest in the Premium Pass when it was first introduced, and a lack of interest has made them make this move. I have no doubts that sales of the Premium Pass will now increase. The renewal price of £130 is what I was expected, and overall it's a good deal really. And for people who still wish to use Tesco vouchers, they are still able to do this and then pay the £30 upgrade cost to a Premium Pass so it would work out at £80 for the Premium Pass combining vouches and upgrade costs, which you can't really argue with.

The major downside with all of this is the way that it has been handled by Merlin, they should have clarified things on Monday when the complaints started to come in, as it has been a bit of a PR disaster for them really.

As for no free parking on the Standard Pass, I'm not saying I agree with it, but from a business point of view I can see why they've done it.

:)

bradpeet

[quote=""furie""]For Blackpool, you'll also have to pay for parking, around £5 for the day.

On top, you then also get 20% discount on the food, drink and merchandise you buy. The MAP is (comparative to the rest of the country) bloody good value.

The issue here is purely on how it's been presented.

First up, it was the fact the announcement was "leaked", and people got their knickers in a twist about losing free parking on their current passes. So people are straight away narked.

Then, it seems like the Standard Pass is getting a value downgrade - it is. What they needed to do was rebrand the entire MAP system. So the Standard Pass gets a £40 price increase and then there's a "super saver pass" or something with the restrictions. Same details, different names. That way current pass holders get the same benefits they have now, they just have to pay more for it.

There'd be uproar about the price hike I'm sure, but it's all about what the MAP offers to you in terms of value.[/quote]

You make a lot of good points. But there are some that I see differently.

Firstly, I don't remember the last time that I paid to park when visiting pleasure beach - I can usually find somewhere within walking distance to park without having to pay. Try doing that at Alton Towers!

Secondly, Merlin's prices for food and drink are pretty high. Legoland actually seems worse than the others. The 20% discount makes the prices reasonable.

I agree that the standard pass should have been priced higher - or even abolished altogether. I'm sure this could be spun along the lines of "after the success of the Premuim Pass we have decided to offer a premiere and a budget pass this year to give our valued customers a better choice"

Of course it is their business, and it is up to them how they run it. But this latest change has made me consider whether a Merlin pass is the best use of my money in the future, and currently it seems that it is not. I shall use the money instead towards more trips to parks outside the UK and enjoy more variety. Thanks Merlin - you have unintentionally made me think about having more fun at theme parks - but the non-Merlin ones ironically.
furie

Actually, Madame_furie knows a few people who park within walking distance of Alton to avoid the car park charges. I don't know either area well enough to be able to do it.

I think the food and drink prices are in line with most parks, but I find the quality of Merlin food higher. The 20% perk though makes it affordable theme park food rather than standard priced :) We almost always take packed lunches and flasks though.

Madame_furie did say that we'll probably ditch the MAP. The Tesco voucher deal isn't worth it for us now, and we can get vouchers for Drayton, Blackpool, etc. instead. So for us the changes (over all) are pushing us away from a MAP and into other parks. It really doesn't bother me though. I love Alton and love the convenience, but only when it's stupidly good value. When it isn't, then we'll look elsewhere.

You just have to assume Merlin have taken into consideration customer bleed as part of the over price structure changes.
If you\'ve got a problem, stuff a worm in it!
Come and Visit the Family_Furie family review site here
Mankey

Hmm... well. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do next year. I want to renew cuz my pass has served me well and I've saved A LOT of money with it over the past two years. The only thing is, I cant drive... YET!

I'm debating getting a premium just because I want the full package, and it would be very handy if I get a car, but then again whenever I go to these parks I'm usually with someone who has a pass anyway. I also do like to give fright nights a visit, and the premium would let you in free, rather than costing me about £10 all together.

I need a think, which would serve me better... Standard... or Premium?

Thing is, due to my location I cant come that often anyway, (that is to towers) but next year I should have a job, so that should all add up and I can carry on with meets. I find the pass is essential if we do a south meet like we did last year! (Lego, Chessy and Thorpe)

Meh... I'm sure I can think of something! I want to renew cuz I love visiting, it's not a year without going on at least 3 TTF meets.

:( Confused!
Back from hibernation!
Anonymous

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]I find you dont provide me with the entertainment merlin does though brett ;-)

Its not the worst deal considering the stable price the last two years VAT and blackpool.[/quote]

Smart comments aside, my point was being; People are being deluded into thinking this is a good deal.

Going from £75 a year - £130 is a bit steep, Regardless of VAT increases or blackpool additions to the pass, Which aren't even valid until late next season anyway. So really, it's just the VAT increases which should effect the price.

The reason the annual pass price has been stable is they reap that much money off people as it is, What is it costing merlin to allow people in every day into their attractions? Nothing, people spend when they're there.

If they can afford to constantly put sales on for standard annual passes for the past few years at £75 and still make a profit. Adding no benefit that puts them out of pocket and then now they're charging £130.
Dylan

[quote=""BrettS""][quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]
Going from £75 a year - £130 is a bit steep[/quote][/quote]

£75 was a sale price though? I am sure there will still be sales and offers, admittedly they not be that cheap but they will still exist.
It's a shame the parking charges are going to come into place for the standard pass, it will have an effect on the amount of days I spend on the park (unless I am staying on resort). I feel sorry for the people who have the Clubcard tokens and will be redeeming them after the 4th Jan tbh. Anyone who has already purchased them, should be entitled to the T&C's as per when they paid for them.
bradpeet

Well, it's beginning to look like Merlin have actually managed to avert a PR disaster after all.

I already hear people saying that it is not as bad as it could have been, and that for only an extra £30 they can still get free parking and avoid restrictions / extra charges for some events. But it is still extra.

In my own case though, I woud be comparing £37.50 worth of Tesco points previousy with £50 worth of Tesco points now plus £30 cash to upgrade. It goes from a no-brainer to probably not worth it on balance. (I do realise that the change at Tesco is not down to Merlin, but I'm sure the marketting gurus at Merlin were well aware that there would be a downturn in purchases using Tesco points when they decided on their new policies)

But you pays your money and you makes your choice. I do wonder how Merlin will ever know whether they have increased or decreased revenues by making these changes though - there are so many variables involved.
Dormiens-Dave

Your comments would be valid brett if the old cost of a standard map was £75 however it isnt. It is infact £150 for a new pass.

The cost you quote is the sale price as to whether the new pass will ever be on sale.... I guess we shall wait and see

Anonymous

[quote=""Dormiens-Dave""]Your comments would be valid brett if the old cost of a standard map was £75 however it isnt. It is infact £150 for a new pass.

The cost you quote is the sale price as to whether the new pass will ever be on sale... I guess we shall wait and see

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk[/quote]
I think my comments are still valid, regardless of the cost. If the sale of the new pass is anything above the old sale price. Then its a rip off.

What are people actually gaining from this price rise? Nothing...

The pricing structure is also stupid and not thought out.
Family of 2. I.e couples or single parents. The total cost of standard passes for this family would be £216, Yet for a family of 3, The price would be... oh yes, you guessed it. £216.

So there is no saving to made for couples or single parents? You can get an extra pass for free for a friend if you wanted to.

Standard MAP holders have been given extra restrictions and perks taken away. So now buying a premium pass looks as if they're gaining something. They're not, they're keeping what they had for extra cost!