Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
PhNx Survivor

Dunno if it's just me, but one of those beams looks to be in the way of the track? 8-[ Some serious head chopper moments on this ride haha
T0mPr1ce

Aidan Lowe wrote:Image
That is a lot of rebar :-s
Justin

It is very impressive to see the rate of construction. It is certainly generating discussion!
PhNx Survivor

T0mPr1ce wrote:
Aidan Lowe wrote:Image
That is a lot of rebar :-s
That is quite a bit of rebar.. if you look at this image where that photo looks upon, you can see it's a path cutting under the ride, however there's red lines that look like [ in a line, which is a design symbol for a raised path or landscape with a drop on the side. Usually used on navigation maps.

So at least we can gather the queue will go lower than the pathway.. hope that's right :lol we'll also get a nice view of the Rapids too by the looks of it
simononestop

so its here?

lewis97
Admin
Admin

The plans were amended from what's been used above, with the following being the latest version.

I believe it's clearer to see what that area of rebar is for on the drainage plan, as indicated below with the red arrow.

PhNx Survivor

simononestop wrote:so its here?

Yeah that area, but as lewis97 has stated, the picture I posted was an older version, the newer version shows more of a length than the previous.
cactuselves

PhNx Survivor wrote:
simononestop wrote:so its here?

Yeah that area, but as lewis97 has stated, the picture I posted was an older version, the newer version shows more of a length than the previous.
No it isnt that area - look where the red arrow on Lewis 97's sketch points, it is located half way up the lifthill at the point where the angle of the hill changes. This structure is very likely to be lift hill mechanism related (could it be foundations for parts of the rumoured launch system or just some beefy founds for regular magnetic lift M&E equipment.?)
simononestop

yeah it must be the angle of the photo I couldn't tell if it was the first building or the second bot have 9 trusses. I guess its the smaller one?
cactuselves

simononestop wrote:yeah it must be the angle of the photo I couldn't tell if it was the first building or the second bot have 9 trusses. I guess its the smaller one?
Yes the building with the trusses is the main station, which is the middle one of the three 'buildings' the scale on the photo is deceiving as the reinforced structure is actually quite far away, but because it is at the top of a little hill you cant see whats happening between this and the station / preshow tunnel area (theres probably a full station building length between where this rebar is being placed and the first truss that you can see, and its off to the side a bit too)
Bert

Source: Learn to fly at Tatenhill Airfield

Overview shot of SW8!
Last edited by Dom on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Source added
[Insert Signature Here]
Robert.W

After seeing this image, showing the rides close proximity to the Katanga Canyon path and the rock sign, I think it is increasingly likely that this ride will be in Katanga Canyon. Just look at how close the maintenance building is to the path!

T0mPr1ce

This is something that has always bugged me ever since SW8 was placed under Gloomy Wood on the map. It's ridiculous if it is to be GW! The proximity to the Rapids, and like you said, the Katanga sign is minuscule. Failing that it's practically in Mutiny Bay anyway. If it is to be Gloomy Wood, it may as well be Cloud Cuckoo Land!
Nickolai

If it is Katanga themed, then I just hope they manage to transition it well. When the Flume was at the resort it was classified as Mutiny Bay and personally it felt as if it was in the area of Mutiny Bay.I hope they don't make it too contrasting when you have the pirate theme of the courtyard right next to SW8 with a Katanga theme. However, the Flume wasn't themed to Mutiny at all, so maybe they will get away with it.

Anyway back to Construction Discussion :P
Formally Smiler313
T0mPr1ce

I'd agree actually, I never have felt like I'm in actually in Katanga Canyon until I'm next to Pizza+Pasta, or maybe a decent distance up the path by the waterfalls with the music playing. This coaster will definitely feel like it's in Mutiny Bay especially if the entrance is facing Sharkbait Reef like the flumes did.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The conversation is drifting into discussing what area SW8 will be located, which there is a dedicated topic for here. Therefore if we can return to focusing on construction progress, as noted above, that would be appreciated :)
simononestop

What's the extra concrete foundations on the first turn?
most have 2 sets (tracks) of concrete the top first turn has an extra on the left side and in the centre of the turn? extra supports or extra tech?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

They're for 'extra' supports. If you look on the following plan you can see that most of the turns are supported in a similar way in order to give the required strength and stability.

T0mPr1ce

Are we still meant to be getting "Theming envelope 1"? Clearly the structure going up currently is Theming envelope 2, has there been anything to suggest we are just getting the latter now?
Owen

T0mPr1ce wrote:Are we still meant to be getting "Theming envelope 1"? Clearly the structure going up currently is Theming envelope 2, has there been anything to suggest we are just getting the latter now?
This was expected to be the flume station, however since that's been demolished the likelyhood of it appearing has reduced :)