Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Sawboss

I've just realised how nice this ride will look from the skyride once it's built.

Thanks for the photos!
T0mPr1ce

That theming element s goig to be absolutely mahoossive :yikes:
Teammaddiz

Video of the construction site from the Sky Ride on a rather wet Saturday afternoon! (20/5/17):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0bZvC ... e=youtu.be
Robert.W

Teammaddiz wrote:Video of the construction site from the Sky Ride on a rather wet Saturday afternoon! (20/5/17):

It's very muddy, but it looks like the site has some nice landscaping! Still can't wait until the wood is constructed though!

Dom

Robert W wrote:
Teammaddiz wrote:Video of the construction site from the Sky Ride on a rather wet Saturday afternoon! (20/5/17):

It's very muddy, but it looks like the site has some nice landscaping! Still can't wait until the wood is constructed though!
The mud is a side effect of heavy haulage machinery, soil and rain. It happens on every construction site that gets wet, but cheers for pointing out the obvious :)

Great update, Thank you Teammaddiz.
AltonOperator

Sw8 track work goes vertical!!! There is wooden framework inside the station!

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news-page ... splay/1299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Jack
OhShambhala

Oh my god huvcbcucucucfbcjdwxkszjxhdxhrucguhjxbducg (just headbutted my keyboard in excitement) Never thought I'd be so hyped about a bit of wooden structure agghhhhhhhhh, I'm pumped! Alton Towers finally has a wooden coaster (well part of one anyway).

By the looks of things, the coaster has a dark section which was expected.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Liam.W

What's surprised me, is that the track is banked, hinting at some decent speed in that section, which I wasn't expecting! What does everyone think?
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Liam.W wrote:What's surprised me, is that the track is banked, hinting at some decent speed in that section, which I wasn't expecting! What does everyone think?
The track does go through a modest height change of about 4 metres from exiting the station building to the lowest point beneath the pre show area, so a little bit of banking is probably advisable :P
TheDuke

Does indicate that it'll will be moving at some speed. I wonder how quick we'll see things move now that its gone vertical
Justin

As long as the groundwork is complete, I'd expect to see it rise up at some speed. It'll be just like one giant jigsaw puzzle, but with every piece known to fit in first time!

Hopefully we will see some wood going up next week!
TheDuke

I know its a long way off but I'm weirdly excited to see what the trains will be like
Bert

Alton Towers has a woodie, I can't believe that The Big Dipper isn't my nearest woodie anymore. Exciting tmes ahead! :D

So with the wood in place do you think we are more likely to see a launch, what would be the point in losing the speed from the dark ride section if it were to go into an LSM lift opposed to LSM launch. Or is it just me?
[Insert Signature Here]
ry1996

Very exciting stuff! Also, the strange metalwork they mentioned is likely for the maintenance bay and transfer track, the same type of metal can be seen on Invadr in its bay.
Guitar

Is that definitely wooden track framwork being installed in the station? From the photo's it doesn't look very accurately cut wood, almost like its a temporary wooden support for something else.
Owen

Guitar wrote:Is that definitely wooden track framwork being installed in the station? From the photo's it doesn't look very accurately cut wood, almost like its a temporary wooden support for something else.
Indeed it is. The photo isn't the best but it follows the support structure and the only thing needing to be placed here is track. :)

Whilst I'm sure it'll go up quickly I won't jump the gun, we don't know what kinds of tech they might have thrown in there so although it might get done quickly I would expect there's a reason for it!
TheDuke

Correct me if im wrong but the flume had a surprising foot print that this ride doesn't fully take up maybe we could see a flat near it in the future before sw9
Robert.W

TheDuke wrote:Correct me if im wrong but the flume had a surprising foot print that this ride doesn't fully take up maybe we could see a flat near it in the future before sw9
Much of the area taken up by the flume was classed as garden area so I doubt that a flat ride would be given permission. I think th only area taken be SW8 is the areas the flume occupied that were not classed as gardens. What walking along the new path to Gloomy Wood, you can't see some of told flume parts in the trees!

Dom

The wonderful people at Theme Park Photography recently shared this amazing image on their social media account.

Liam.W

Saw that earlier, and it's really clear now where the layout is going!

Seeing this photo also made me realise how close we actually are to riding Alton's first woodie, and the first woodie in the UK for over 20 years. Exciting stuff!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!