Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

JC13 wrote:
Robert.W wrote:I'm thinking it could possibly be something for the pre show. 
I hadn’t thought of that! That could work well, if there was a screen showing a video and then a light shines onto the statue, with a screen behind it showing flames rising, it might not work, but it could!
Not sure if there’s an entry point large enough for them to physically get it in the pre-show building now though...
Capt.Barnacles

I've got my theory, and I'm well aware I could be horribly wrong. But perhaps a theming centrepiece for the shop? Since none of the structure for that had even started to go up or been brought on site at the end of the season. Of course that could have changed by now but then who knows how much the site may have already changed since Nov 5th.
PhNx Survivor

If it had to be for anything.. my money is on Capt. Barnacles theory, would make sense as the building was only just being started before closed season.. if more than 1 appears then we'll know they could be anywhere on site.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
JC13

PhNx Survivor wrote:If it had to be for anything.. my money is on Capt. Barnacles theory, would make sense as the building was only just being started before closed season.. if more than 1 appears then we'll know they could be anywhere on site.
Let’s just hope Merlin don’t put them everywhere! Has it been considered if they could be on the front of the trains? I know it probably isn’t possible, but would be great if they could pull it off
lewis97
Admin
Admin

JC13 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:If it had to be for anything.. my money is on Capt. Barnacles theory, would make sense as the building was only just being started before closed season.. if more than 1 appears then we'll know they could be anywhere on site.
Let’s just hope Merlin don’t put them everywhere! Has it been considered if they could be on the front of the trains? I know it probably isn’t possible, but would be great if they could pull it off
Even after considering potential errors of perspective, it looks to be taller than one of the shipping containers behind it, so I don't think we'll be seeing it on the front of a train.
AltonBuzz

It looks like the theming element could go by the entrance. If you look at the plans they show two "theming envelopes" where they have planning permission for large structures. :D http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/portal/servlets/AttachmentShowServlet?ImageName=176955
Owen

The 1st one was originally supposedly supposed to be the flume station and the second is the large structure that’s in place now, so I’m not sure if it’ll be going there just yet!
T0mPr1ce

My money is it being part of either the entrance or in the queue. For the entrance I'm thinking in a similar style to Th13teen's entrance with the wraiths.
PhNx Survivor

I could see that.. but why have 2 of the same thing? We can see the massive structure from the queue, so there wouldn't really be a point.. unless like you say just for entrance sake.. I do still think they will add the Themeing Envelope 1, a lot of access was needed for the site, so something could still be put up over the closed season.. if it's just a cover (basically) then it wouldn't need much in making, however this would take away views of the ride, and be harder possibly for vehicles to access the ride if needed.

If it is in the shop.. I don't know what the theming piece is called in the Oblivion Queue line that you walk around on the lower section of the queue, but it could be something similar to that for the shop.. As for the train.. I don't think that would make it through the tunnels/head chopper moments, since its size is big :lol saying that though, I could imagine a face on the front of the trains, if there is 2 trains, 1 human face, 1 goat face (as to reference the structure possibly). This should probably be in speculation topic...
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Nickolai

I believe Themeing  envelope 1 is just full of nearly cattlemen queueline.
Formally Smiler313
Justin

It could just be used as an advertising piece for the lawns in front of the Towers.
Colinweir

Maybe they’ll burn it as part of the opening lol.
ChessingtonSam

Colinweir wrote:Maybe they’ll burn it as part of the opening lol.
You laugh, but I could see it tbh. Didn't Thorpe burn a truck or something for the Swarm?
Justin

You jest, but anything is possible. It could be used for the advert.
Bert

Why would they use this smaller Wicker Man for the advert? 

They use a company in Manchester to make the adverts I believe and the adverts are often CGI heavy, so I doubt it's for the advert.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

Hi Bert2theSpark

Props and cars are often used in adverts as the rides are not usually ready at the time of filming. Take The Smiler for instance, which was filmed using one train in a studio against a green screen.
With regards to the SW8 mini structure, they may use this to actually burn in front of the Towers. Unfortunately, I am not marketing so can't say if it will be used as part of the construction or otherwise. This is just another suggestion to add to the conversation. 

CGI is often mixed in with actual props, so anything is possible. Take ITV's Thunderbirds for example, which often uses props alongside computer effects to generate effects.
Owen

I would be surprised if this was to do with an advert personally.
Dom

I'm sure it will appear somewhere. Why else would they make it. I can't really see Merlin tipping money into something they don't use  :P
Luce

T0mPr1ce wrote:My money is it being part of either the entrance or in the queue. For the entrance I'm thinking in a similar style to Th13teen's entrance with the wraiths.
I agree with your theory Tom, it certainly sounds the most plausible one my in view but if not, I reckon it'll be used somewhere as part of the theming.
Dom

Alton Towers Facebook page have recently shared a lovely teaser video for SW8 which was the start of a time lapse video, ending with a website link to the SW8/The Welcoming website