Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
mikecloud

Along with the Wardley Drop, SW8 also follows the same pattern as Nemesis where a lot of the ride is below the station level. 

This is not gong to be slow. 
PhNx Survivor

Wardley Drop.. love it :lol

Yeah the height difference between the top of the lift hill and the bottom of the site is dramatically different.. I'm looking forward to seeing what speed the trains will be travelling at when it hits the bend near the queue shop.. those Lateral G's..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Capt.Barnacles

Well from interpreting the plans and putting together the recreation I have, it's looking like around a 22m difference from top to bottom. By comparison, that's 4m taller than Th13teen's drop.
Guitar

Justin wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:That first turn just reminds me of Nemesis.. I'm sure that section was one Mr Wardley's inputs for sure! Can't wait.
It most certainly is. It is also known as 'The Wardly Drop'.
I thought it was a B&M thing and it reduces load on the lift chain? Forgive me if I am wrong.
Owen

According to Wardley, although he wasn’t a huge fan of the layout the drop is the only thing he changed as he thought it looked the most dull section out of the ride.

Also I’ve never heard anything about this “Wardley drop” name either! Have people dubbed it that solely because that’s the only thing touched by him this time around? :lol
Justin

Owen wrote:According to Wardley, although he wasn’t a huge fan of the layout the drop is the only thing he changed as he thought it looked the most dull section out of the ride.

Also I’ve never heard anything about this “Wardley drop” name either! Have people dubbed it that solely because that’s the only thing touched by him this time around? :lol
Yes, It has its name as it was re-profiled by the man himself :lol . This was the biggest change although I believe he tweaked one other part slightly, but I can't remember where.
Dom

TowersTimes News takes a look at how construction is progressing as the theme park closes its gates. 

More pictures and details can be found in the article :)
hursty

Can see some nice detail below the track line

And that rock wall is looking nice against the wood

Robert.W

That rock wall has been done so so well. Had I not known it was fake upon seeing the completed ride, I would probably assume it was completely real!

ScottLann

SW8 sKULL.png
Just noticed this. Looks like some sort of skull on the other side of the structure? Interesting...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be Chosen - Join Us - You Better Not Go Alone - Assume The Position - Don't Look Down - Sit Back, It's Fright Time
Kraken

Fantastic construction update - thanks!  SW8 is looking impressive & I look forward to March when we can ride it.  

The only thing that struck me was the queue line fences - plain wood & lots of it.  I do hope these fences will be painted in some way otherwise they will, sadly, be festooned with graffiti in next to no time - especially if the ride has any lengthly downtime.  Remember the Air queue in it's 1st season?  (And Rita & Thirteen).  If left un-treated to deter the vandals, I give the fences until the end of the Easter Holidays before they look a mess.  
Justin

ScottLann wrote:SW8 sKULL.png

Just noticed this. Looks like some sort of skull on the other side of the structure? Interesting...
More speculation regarding the structure... http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... start=4960 :D
PhNx Survivor

I don't think they'll be painting the wood, as it fits with the ride.. plus there is a lot to do, it'll have a polished treatment done to it to protect from weathering, unless this has already been applied to the wood before it got to AT. Either way, the vandals will always happen, it is a shame as it ruins the look of rides, however this is just how the younger generations of the public are.. majority of them don't care, even some adults do it which is really annoying.
Liam.W

I know a good colour for SW8...

I'm sure it would fit in perfectly!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Loakin

Did anyone notice that there is an antirollback system on the small bunny hills going through the theming structure, this could mean that it would be quite a slow section of the ride, allowing for us to take in the views of the theming structure, before descending back down the rest of the layout.
Capt.Barnacles

Unfortunately this isn't the case. I had a similar theory but that sawtooth style thing between the two rails is actually something that RCS use for reference when rail laying. Not sure exactly how, but a similar thing was done with Mystic Timbers which was then removed when the rails were finished.
Loakin

Oh well, way to mislead us xD
Chris
Admin
Admin

Yeah, we almost reported these in the article as anti-rollbacks but quickly realised they were also being installed in places where it would make no logical sense.
Capt.Barnacles

Managed to find a photo, you can see it really clearly here whilst Timbers was being built. But POVs from previews/post opening show they were later removed.
PhNx Survivor

The only difference I can tell from those on Mystic Timbers, and on SW8, they face the opposite direction from that on Mystic Timbers, than on SW8.. I'm not saying they are anti-rollback.. things.. but I understand why they could of been anti-rollback.. things (what are they?). because on Mystic Timbers from that picture they couldn't be?