Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
T0mPr1ce

Wow, that looks great, I hope his path is kept for next season - although I thought it was to be a service road?
JC13

T0mPr1ce wrote:Wow, that looks great, I hope his path is kept for next season - although I thought it was to be a service road?
It is supposed to be a service road. I think it’s only open to get people through the park easier. On a side note, if SW8 does open on opening day next year, is the opening day next year March 24?
Liam.W

Yeah seems likely. Going to be busy with it opening at the start of the Easter holidays!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Robert.W

The way that the path seems to done makes me think that this is probably going to be a permanent public pathway after SW8 opens. Keeping it open would split two other wise very long paths which both get crowded and could ease the crowds a little. This is of course only possible if the current SW8 path does stay open next year, which I really hope it does. Personally I think that the Katanga path is in such a bad location and way too narrow to serve that whole side of the park on its own.

JC13

Just out of interest, with the Alton Towers 2017 season ending in 45 minutes, will this discussing end or continue throughout winter, because we can’t see or get photos of construction?
Dom

I'm sure discussion will continue on SW8 and on all things theme park over the closed season. Just because the season ends, it doesn't mean the passion and enthusiasm ends too. And even though we can't see what's happening, AT will up their marketing game, so there will always be clues and hints to look out for
Aidan Lowe

CoasterForce Twitter posted 4 pictures this afternoon at a few select views, last time we'll see it from the ground until March / promotional videos.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
PhNx Survivor

And I'm sure some of us will be making our way to the hotels over the winter season, so could possibly see things in the parking lots or storage areas.. similar to when The Smiler trains were on the car park, (is that right? My memory is rubbish), could have the same thing this year!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Dan

PhNx Survivor wrote:And I'm sure some of us will be making our way to the hotels over the winter season, so could possibly see things in the parking lots or storage areas.. similar to when The Smiler trains were on the car park, (is that right? My memory is rubbish), could have the same thing this year!
The Smiler trains were never left on the car park.

The first we saw of them on site was when they were being craned onto the track.
Tom170499

AT also released this image when they were using Train 1 to film the advert so something similar may happen with SW8... 

PhNx Survivor

Dan wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:And I'm sure some of us will be making our way to the hotels over the winter season, so could possibly see things in the parking lots or storage areas.. similar to when The Smiler trains were on the car park, (is that right? My memory is rubbish), could have the same thing this year!
The Smiler trains were never left on the car park.

The first we saw of them on site was when they were being craned onto the track.
This is where I remember it, wasn't a car park but was in a warehouse. Thought it was car park for some reason :s

But yeah hopefully we'll see something similar.
Capt.Barnacles

That looks to me like the tech services warehouse next to the Skyride garage. Which would make sense for them to have been put there.
Bert

Here's my SW8 update from last night. 

(You can tell I'm not a World Class photographer)

I'd thought as it's the end of the season I'd go back to where it started with construction pictures, The demolition of The Flume and the fact this picture looked cool. 

And that was my final SW8 update. 
[Insert Signature Here]
SmileAlways

JC13 wrote:
T0mPr1ce wrote:Wow, that looks great, I hope his path is kept for next season - although I thought it was to be a service road?
It is supposed to be a service road. I think it’s only open to get people through the park easier. On a side note, if SW8 does open on opening day next year, is the opening day next year March 24?
Alton Towers were handing out half price entry vouchers to visitors at fireworks. On the back it states "Valid from 17.03.18 to 31.05.18" so my guess is that it'll be opening on the 17th March. Wouldn't be surprised if SW8 opens a week or so later to be completely honest.
If you hear people singing random songs on a rollercoaster, it's probably me and my best friend #SmileAlways

Instagram (there's bunch of random stuff but a tonne of theme parks): @jess_baker.98
MakoMania

Yeah, there seems to be conflicting information with the vouchers being valid from 17th March but the first available park entry date on the Alton Towers Holidays website is 24th March.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
ROYJESS

The service road running underneath the SW8 was briefly open on Saturday night.  According to the staff manning it, Jess and I was the very first guest to go through it.  I spoke to the same staff the following day and they said how lucky we were as they haven't been thought there themselfs. Enjoy the photos, sorry that they are dark, but it was night time.

Last edited by lewis97 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image
Adz
Admin
Admin

When that pathway was open it was really interesting to get up close to the ride. The scale is much more impressive in person and you could really get a sense of the elevation changes between the top of the lift and the helixes down by the theming feature. This is not going to be a slow ride by any means. 

Bring on 2018...
PhNx Survivor

That first turn just reminds me of Nemesis.. I'm sure that section was one Mr Wardley's inputs for sure! Can't wait.
hursty

PhNx Survivor wrote:And I'm sure some of us will be making our way to the hotels over the winter season, so could possibly see things in the parking lots or storage areas
Ah, fond memories of SW7 was the tarpaulined "theming element" that turned out to be one of the ice cream vans...

#-o
Justin

PhNx Survivor wrote:That first turn just reminds me of Nemesis.. I'm sure that section was one Mr Wardley's inputs for sure! Can't wait.
It most certainly is. It is also known as 'The Wardly Drop'.