Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
jackf1tz

One day there will be a UK theme park article that doesn't mention the Smiler crash :roll:
Aidan Lowe

Without the accompanying video, this really doesn't say a lot apart from it's a theatrical experience over a world first & safety after The Smiler is paramount which we kind of know anyway. 

Not sure if it's my end but I can't play the video at all on my phone or laptop.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Liam.W

I can't play it either!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

stevebrown

For those of you who can't wait for ITV to fix that video, here it is.  Apologise for the very quiet audio but you should be able to hear it ok.

[youtube]4wasu_iYVt0[/youtube]
dazza4783

This is the video that was on the itv news site, contains drone footage of the coaster, and timelapse of the construction.
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/ajDnuxDQ/file.html
T0mPr1ce

Wow! A very nice little video.
PhNx Survivor

Not gonna lie, it's going to be upsetting not to see this ride now for a while, however now we can look forward to seeing the trains coming in the next month or so.. 500 tests, then re-tests with people is quite a number.. is that common?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
jackf1tz

I'm guessing so, but they'll be wanting the public to know that it's definitely safe after the smiler. They'll probably have been ordered to to more safety checks by the HSE after the incident as well.
simononestop

from the video I guess it is going to get some kind of show - from the mention of it being theatrical?
other wise I would have just gone for "its a great solid ride/rollercoaster for all" or something 
Chris
Admin
Admin

Will be interesting to see what exactly is in the show section, and how fast the train will go through it.

If it is dark ride pace, then having three trains makes absolute sense.
dazza4783

stevebrown wrote:For those of you who can't wait for ITV to fix that video, here it is.  Apologise for the very quiet audio but you should be able to hear it ok.

[youtube]4wasu_iYVt0[/youtube]
It sounds like they are going for something similar to Hex experience wise. Obviously i'm not implying that a coaster will give the same experience as a madhouse, but while the vault is the main ride part of Hex it is only one part of the experience as a whole. With Wicker Man the coaster part is most likely going to be the equivalent to what the madhouse is to Hex.
Owen

Considering the creative is the same as Ghost Train, I’d be looking toward that in terms of the way this attraction will play out! :)
JamieDeath

Worlds first VR wooden coaster?  :roll:
Owen

As much as I’m sure everyone would love that, creative wouldn’t be involved with that :P

In terms of the ride having a beginning, middle and end though I would expect something similar to Ghost Train personally, and with there being sections that clearly follow this it’s very likely. Beginning being the pre-show/pre-lift section, middle being the tunnels and main ride and then possibly something Mystic Timbers-esk in the maintenance shed fir the end.
streetmagix

Talking of safety it'll be interesting to see if they outfit the trains with additional seat belts under the lapbars like they do in the US. The only coasters I can think off with additional seat belts in Europe at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. 
Nickolai

I’m sure there will be seat belts. As much as throughputs is key I’m sure they would sacrifice a bit of it for health and safety.
Formally Smiler313
Liam.W

On the map released by Alton Towers to aid with the flow of guests after the fireworks it seems that one of the exit paths leads directly underneath SW8... Interesting. Do you think we could be seeing a reveal of something such as the theming element this weekend?

Justin

No. I expect the paths either side of the site to be open. We must remember that the site is very much under construction, therefore health and safety will not permit any public access.
Liam.W

It appears the map was correct! It seems that people will be walking underneath SW8's lift hill later today!

Credit to Theme Park Guide

JC13

Liam.W wrote:It appears the map was correct! It seems that people will be walking underneath SW8's lift hill later today!

Credit to Theme Park Guide
That looks great! A bit disappointed I won’t be at the resort this weekend, but hopefully I’ll be able to see the picture from the path on here later!