Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
PhNx Survivor

So the path that goes through the area to link back to the path towards Runaway/Rapids is now starting to take shape..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
ATI

PhNx Survivor wrote:So the path that goes through the area to link back to the path towards Runaway/Rapids is now starting to take shape..
I don't believe you. You have no picture evidence. ;)
We were born to fly...
Bert

The KC to MB pathway hasn't been altered all season, It's just been closed as it's sandwiched between the SW8 offices and the construction site. I've seen workers use the path all season whilst on the rapids as well, so it certainly hasn't changed. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Robert.W

ATI wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:So the path that goes through the area to link back to the path towards Runaway/Rapids is now starting to take shape..
Is PhNx Survivor not talking about the path that goes through the site next to the Rapids, and will connect the current (closed) Katanga Canyon path and the SW8 path? Some pictures from Theme Park World Wide show this to be getting tarmac put on it. :)

PhNx Survivor

Robert.W wrote:
ATI wrote:
Is PhNx Survivor not talking about the path that goes through the site next to the Rapids, and will connect the current (closed) Katanga Canyon path and the SW8 path? Some pictures from Theme Park World Wide show this to be getting tarmac put on it. :)
That is what I mean yes lol, was at work so couldn't link anything.. and yeah TPW did a video yesterday showing stuff off.. (link provided, credit to TPW)

https://youtu.be/L7RxYDWblng

It's nice to finally see the tunnel leading into the maintenance shed starting to take shape and that we can see a small section of themeing from the structure.. is that actual burnt wood do you think or material to make it look like burnt wood? Looks kinda realistic but cartoony at the same time? Looking great so far! Can't wait!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
lewis97
Admin
Admin

PhNx Survivor wrote:is that actual burnt wood do you think or material to make it look like burnt wood? Looks kinda realistic but cartoony at the same time? Looking great so far! Can't wait!
It’s themed render.
Aidan Lowe

Learn To Fly at Tattenhill Airfield page on Facebook posted this from Tuesday.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Colinweir

Heading down there on Thursday and Friday next week.  What's the route for accessing River Rapids and Mine Train?
Robert.W

Colinweir wrote:Heading down there on Thursday and Friday next week.  What's the route for accessing River Rapids and Mine Train?
The SW8 path that does from Mutiny Bay to Gloomy Wood and then the usual path from Gloomy Wood to Katanga Canyon. You could also take the Haunted Hollow path to Gloomy Wood rather than the SW8 path if you preferred.

Phild94

Robert.W wrote:
Colinweir wrote:Heading down there on Thursday and Friday next week.  What's the route for accessing River Rapids and Mine Train?
The SW8 path that does from Mutiny Bay to Gloomy Wood and then the usual path from Gloomy Wood to Katanga Canyon. You could also take the Haunted Hollow path to Gloomy Wood rather than the SW8 path if you preferred.
Has there been any confirmation that this path will remain during the 2018 season or is it just temporary until construction has finished?
Capt.Barnacles

It was a bit difficult to pick up any photos of it yesterday but the rails have been laid all the way round the turn off the lift and starting to be taken down the drop underneath. Layers are also being built up on the flat turn near the shop. Something more significant worth noting is the chain return wheel and guide rail! :D
andy_sj

Well that seems to rule out a launch... looks like a traditional chain lift, at least for the 2nd part of the lift....
Dom

Thats a shame as a launched woodie would have been pretty cool. I wonder what the reason is as to why they changed what was planned.
Teammaddiz

Dom wrote:Thats a shame as a launched woodie would have been pretty cool. I wonder what the reason is as to why they changed what was planned.
Assuming you mean the magnetic lift rather than a launch, is it possible the planning document was referring to a magnetic anti rollback system similar to what The Smiler has rather than the psychical lift system? I can't imagine something quite significant in terms of noise production  would be changed from a silent system to quite a noisy alternative without any mention in the updated planning documents first, especially as they were quite clear what kind of noise the coaster would produce in the first set of plans. Haven't looked at the plans for a while so could be missing something obvious, but it seems to me everything regarding the lift could be what was planned from the start (with some room for interpretation of course):

"The coaster will have a ‘silent’ magnetic lift system that will guide the coaster to the first and highest drop. This will ensure that lift mechanism noise as the carriage travels to its highest elevation point will not be a concern."
RobJackson85

I think all along it was referring to a system similar to 'The Smiler'.

The old dog system is noisy, clickety-clack all day long, however, with the magnetic anti-rollback the noise will be reduced significantly.
Dom

Teammaddiz wrote:
Dom wrote:Thats a shame as a launched woodie would have been pretty cool. I wonder what the reason is as to why they changed what was planned.
Assuming you mean the magnetic lift rather than a launch, is it possible the planning document was referring to a magnetic anti rollback system similar to what The Smiler has rather than the psychical lift system? I can't imagine something quite significant in terms of noise production  would be changed from a silent system to quite a noisy alternative without any mention in the updated planning documents first, especially as they were quite clear what kind of noise the coaster would produce in the first set of plans. Haven't looked at the plans for a while so could be missing something obvious, but it seems to me everything regarding the lift could be what was planned from the start (with some room for interpretation of course):

"The coaster will have a ‘silent’ magnetic lift system that will guide the coaster to the first and highest drop. This will ensure that lift mechanism noise as the carriage travels to its highest elevation point will not be a concern."
Cheers for making me feel bad :lol In complete honesty, I had forgot all that. I blame me being tired :lol
Adam.W

Aren't the supports/foundations for the bottom of the chain lift underneath the point where the hill changes gradient? I'm thinking that this could potentially be a case of a magnetic system being used for the first part, in order to take it up to speed, followed by a fast chain lift system.
Capt.Barnacles

There's a foundation a fairly significant distance PAST where the gradient change is, which based on observations of other GCIs is where the lift motor will be mounted. (It's that big concrete block that looks really out of place so far)
Last edited by Capt.Barnacles on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
118hazaman

I'm interested to see how they are going to run the chain return to the bottom of the site, especially when latter parts of the layout run directly under the lift hill.
Chris
Admin
Admin

We have uploaded a few photos to the TowersTimes Facebook page showing a closer view of the chain lift cog and return trough, and more.