Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Looks like Leek Signs have worked their printing magic (even if the grammar's disappointing) on the construction site viewing windows, with these photos posted on their Facebook.

AltonOperator

Excellent work! The grammar is really annoying though
Thanks Jack
Shockadelica

AltonOperator wrote:Excellent work! The grammar is really annoying though
Unless the Somethings are Wicker Men aliens and they're coming!

Or their coming, or there coming.

If you're in the business of writing signs to be seen by the public, at least have a grasp of English grammar. #Embarrassing
Bert

Well this might not be the most intresting thing but at least we now know the 2018 park logo. Like this years is Cbeebies and last years was Galactica's. I must say though it isn't as cool looking as previous years'. Certainly when comparing it to The Smiler's AT logo. However it's still nice though! :D
[Insert Signature Here]
Burniel

When respected organisations normalise poor grammar like that, it only helps spread the disease of chavness.

Interesting to see that the marketing technique virtually mirrors that of Air in 2001. I hope this doesn't mean there's no secret elements!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
T0mPr1ce

..Unless, even with the windows, we still can't see the secret element (underground)
Dom

There is a chance that this doesn't have a secret element. Most of the SW's didn't have secret elements and were either worlds first or European firsts :)

The only one with an actual secret element was Thirteen with its drop. Nemesis was Europe's first Inverted coaster, Oblivion was worlds first Dive coaster, Smiler was World's first 14 looping. If SW8 is actually a launched woodie as suggested, than it would be Europe's first, which still counts.
Owen

Or maybe there is no launch at all, and in reality the European first is that it'll have Bonnie Tyler playing in the drop tunnel! :O

#whatsinthetunnel
Bert

Let me just post this here...
It's very accurate but gives a rough idea of how SW8 will fit in the park.
[Insert Signature Here]
T0mPr1ce

Looks like quite a short ride, but I guess we don't know what's happening in that first section out of the station!

Found that Wickerman very amusing :lol :lol
Shockadelica

Owen wrote:Or maybe there is no launch at all, and in reality the European first is that it'll have Bonnie Tyler playing in the drop tunnel! :O

#whatsinthetunnel
Surely she'd be playing in the turnaround (bright eyes)?

Seriously though, this is the most secret Secret Weapon to date.

Previously, we've either been given the secret early on (Air), or the enthusiasts have had a good idea anyway.

But this time, all we've seen is a wooden rollercoaster plan with shallow drops and banked curves.

There must be something more, hence the SW tag...

But what?
Owen

I don't think there's anything more (for layout). Just because marketing hasn't started officially doesn't mean they're hiding anything :)

I expect there will be some kind of theming in the tunnel but I wouldn't think that is what will make this unique. :)
Justin

I'm really enjoying the mystery surrounding SW8!

To be honest, for this attraction, I'm not over analysing things and enjoying watching the coaster rise up before my eyes! I'm rolling with the marketing this time around and it is fun! The least I know, the better and more magical it becomes!
Kraken

Whilst SW8 has the "SW" tag, I think it will be aimed / marketed to the slightly younger & family orientated crowd. I suspect a 1.2m height restriction too which will help. (Just hope Towers Marketing team do a better job than they did with Th13teen - "the only coaster you'll ever want"!) Don't get me wrong, Th13teen is an OK ride, but they cocked the marketing of it up big-time.

Fear not - it will be good. I've ridden White Lightning at FunSpot Orlando (another small GCI woodie) and it was just great fun to ride. We did ride it non-stop [without getting off] for a good 20mins, it was that much fun & re-ridable.

By contrast, the only other ride I could ride non-stop in Orlando is Mako - like White Lightning, it's just great fun. Yes, the other B&M's in Orlando are great, but the forces are intense on them and after a few consecutive rides you start to feel you need a break.

I look forward to seeing SW8 rise from the ground. As above, I think it will be marketed more towards the family audience to aid the Alton Towers recovery following the events on The Smiler. Families are probably more likely to stay over for the night (& thus spend in the hotels = big profits) than late teens / under 30's thrill seekers who would probably do a day trip to keep costs down.
Shockadelica

Justin wrote:I'm really enjoying the mystery surrounding SW8!

To be honest, for this attraction, I'm not over analysing things and enjoying watching the coaster rise up before my eyes! I'm rolling with the marketing this time around and it is fun! The least I know, the better and more magical it becomes!
Same here.

Nice to have that mystery for possibly the first time proper with an SW.

Is it in the trains? The pre-show? The track? The layout? It'll emerge when it emerges, and it's great not knowing yet.
vinyljunkie

i think that sw8 isnt going to have a secret element, i think that alton are going for a decent wooden rollercoaster (gci) and they are going show us what they can to with the themeing. having watched some of the coasters that gci have built, i think alton/merlin may have got it right. :D
OhShambhala

The latest construction update thanks to Theme Park Worldwide shows a better view of the station area and viewing holes and also shows new pipework within the soon to be, main theming structure. Could this mean we could see some fire effects?

Full video can be seen here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
DeadJack5

Managed to get a lot of photos whilst on the skyride today. Warning: This is very photo heavy

Danny

Wow the project really is progressing well- thanks for the update! :)
T0mPr1ce

Great pictures. Does anyone know what those concrete cylinders are for? They've been in that spot there for some time, I originally thought they could be pre-made footers. However, they are too large for wooden coaster footers. I think some have ladder rungs in the insides, could they be for underground pipes?