Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Dom

I first saw this on my phone and due to small screen i thought it looked like a skull. Upon seeing this on my laptop, i now have no idea what on earth it is and I can't quite work out if its any good of not, but yay its uncovered and looks very wickered
DeadJack5

I'm not sure how i feel about the structure at the moment, seeing it fully in person will be much better than via the photos. But at least we can see now how much was hiding behind that tarp. Let's hope the surrounding area suits and fits in well with the structure or it may stick out a bit!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The European Coaster Club have reported that SW8 has begun testing.
DeadJack5

Massive news then. Very positive signs that the ride is ahead of schedule (which we already knew). Fantastic to see the ride is in the testing phase, 3 months ahead of opening as compared to The Smiler where it was still being built passed its oriental opening time. I'm really impressed with how well the ride has been taken and how fast they have been able to construct it. Wonder if anyone over the Christmas event can see (or even record) the ride being tested, or would this be tested when noone is on site?
Bert

Last 2018 coaster to be announced, First one to start testing. 

Well done, Alton Towers. 
[Insert Signature Here]
Guitar

Assuming that testing doesn't uncover any dramatic surprises doesn't this basically guarantee it will be open for the beginning of the season?
Phild94

Guitar wrote:Assuming that testing doesn't uncover any dramatic surprises doesn't this basically guarantee it will be open for the beginning of the season?
Pretty much yes, usually a month of solid testing would be adequate, however you’ve got to remember the great British weather, if it was continually poor from now until February it may still be delayed.

It’s unlikely to happen but I would never guarantee anything in the climate we have!
JC13

lewis97 wrote:The European Coaster Club have reported that SW8 has begun testing.
Just out of interest, how do we know this is completely true? I fully believe it but I don’t think there is any evidence that it has
Nickolai

I would have thought that such a big group as ECC would have had some inside knowledge either from Merlin or GCI themselves.
Formally Smiler313
Bert

Well, ECC are listed on GCI's website however I can't believe GCI or Merlin told them, They probably had someone on-site who heard it.
[Insert Signature Here]
Capt.Barnacles

Well it's been leaked now, so I may as well say, some of my former coworkers at Towers had their returners inductions yesterday and a few said it could be heard running from Magic HQ (the big green building behind Sharkbait Reef).
NemesisRider

It’s very relieving to hear SW8 is already testing! Should be running perfectly by opening day! Let’s hope this gives them plenty of time to work on theming - in fact, the fact it’s already testing makes me hope that there will be some pretty extensive theming there. Taron had track finished early so it could be themed - although I’m not expecting that level on SW8.
Joel Allen

This is brilliant news! Well done Alton. The speed of construction has been really fast and now it’s testing and it’s not even 2018!
DeadJack5

Agreeing that they can now develop the theming if they had any plans to add more dependent on the time. Again, very encouraging that the testing has started. We may well have a major attraction from merlin that opens on time, obviously there has been problems for them not being able to open them on time but it's great thinking that as it stands, we will have the ride open for the beginning of the season.
Justin

Let's not big up the opening too much! We'll curse it! :lol
PhNx Survivor

Would be nice to see it running from the air.. :roll:
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Phild94

I’ve seen this on Tower Street this morning and was wondering whether this means testing has not yet begun as I would’ve thought that track would’ve been laid first?

Quoted as “Spare Pieces of SW8 Track” but surely they wouldn’t need this quantity as spare?
JC13

Phild94 wrote:I’ve seen this on Tower Street this morning and was wondering whether this means testing has not yet begun as I would’ve thought that track would’ve been laid first?

Quoted as “Spare Pieces of SW8 Track” but surely they wouldn’t need this quantity as spare?
You never know, in the maintenance building (assuming the ride has 3 trains), at least one would be stored on other track, connected by a transfer track. The track may not be on those pieces of track yet, and they will need some spare. I believe they have started testing
Phild94

Just seems strange as there looks to be over 60 pieces of track, even assuming they’re double layered there’s still about 120m of track there (at 4m a length)
KrakenKray

JC13 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:I’ve seen this on Tower Street this morning and was wondering whether this means testing has not yet begun as I would’ve thought that track would’ve been laid first?

You never know, in the maintenance building (assuming the ride has 3 trains), at least one would be stored on other track, connected by a transfer track. The track may not be on those pieces of track yet, and they will need some spare. I believe they have started testing
You would assume they wouldn't have started testing with no transfer track, otherwise the train is stuck on the track