Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
PhNx Survivor

T0mPr1ce wrote:Personally, the steel beams don't bother me that much, I'd be more bothered if the majority of the structure was steel rather than wood - such as on Invadr (which looks very ugly).
Ha, I agree with you there..

Also did anyone see the TS post yesterday, about the Rapids having old themed items added.. might just be reading into it too much but could have something to do with SW8..?
Bert

PhNx Survivor wrote:Also did anyone see the TS post yesterday, about the Rapids having old themed items added.. might just be reading into it too much but could have something to do with SW8..?
You mean this?
(Credit TowersStreet Facebook)

It used to be theming from Mutiny Bay, I doubt it has any significance to SW8.

EDIT: Some of it is old theming as well.
[Insert Signature Here]
PhNx Survivor

Ah fair enough, read too much into it :(
ATI

T0mPr1ce wrote:Personally, the steel beams don't bother me that much, I'd be more bothered if the majority of the structure was steel rather than wood - such as on Invadr (which looks very ugly).
Mine Blower is the worst!  :sick:
We were born to fly...
T0mPr1ce

I agree with you ATI. Why do parks set out to purchase wooden coasters with those ugly steel supports? All I can think of is cost, but would having steel instead of full wooden supports be much cheaper?
MakoMania

It is to do with cost over time as the maintenance is much less. Honestly I'm surprise that Merlin haven't gone for it. It's also helpful in a warm & wet climate where wood will rot much quicker.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Bert

I'd imagine it's a wood structure because they could say, much like Mystic Timbers, it is theming. I mean it would be weird having a large wooden wickerman then steel supports everywhere. I'm sure the reason behind it will be revealed in marketing for SW8 in time.
[Insert Signature Here]
Justin

I expect to see more clues given to SW8's theme around Scarefest! 
I believe DBGT worked in a similar way as marketing stepped up just before the closed season!
Owen

Isn't a steel beam just safer?

Remember people will be walking under these for at least 8 hours a day March - November. If the wood above the beam were supported by more wood and it collapsed I can't imagine it'd be held up as well...

EDIT - After reading back through I think I may have gotten a tad confused with what people were talking about... let's try to keep this  about SW8 shall we? :lol
simononestop

really impressed with the look of that drop down under the "wickerman" the twist and drop looks much better than I thought it would.
surely it should get some air time if it goes through it quick enough?

also the steel is used to cover a larger open span.
a wooden beam couldn't take the weight over the span it would bow.
so any openings over a certain width would have to be steel
Capt.Barnacles

Few photos from me again :) Topsoil being laid all over the place, foundations working backwards from the last turn towards the theming element, lots and lots of bents being built around the flume turnaround , but none went up today. The most noteworthy things happening today was the tiles being laid on the station roof, and a foundation being prepared up near the top end of the site. Not sure what it's for, it could be a picsolve unit or a queue shop, from the size.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

Thanks for sharing the photos, Dan :)

That foundation looks like it's in about the right area to be for the queue-line kiosk shown on the plans.
PhNx Survivor

Good photos! TPW has mentioned that wooden beams and plug sockets have been added to the windows on the fence surrounding the site.. marketing could be soon? [-o<
Capt.Barnacles

Yeah I noticed the windows earlier. One by the flume turnaround as TPW showed, and another one near the old flume entrance looking towards the theming element. There's only two set up for it.
Adam.W

Just a guess/prediction, but I think this could involve the use of TVs (making use of the plug sockets) which display what the finished ride will look like, in an augmented reality type thing. Either that or it's just marketing material - I'm fairly confident that it will use TVs though.
JT91

I really cant get as excited and enthusiastic about this coaster. looking at that height and layout I cant see this being very thrilling and I very much doubt were getting a launch, really hoping for once there will be a gimmick of some sort! maybe i'm being to pessimistic.
Justin

I think the height is deceiving as it is technically going up a side of a hill, therefore the true scale can not be fully appreciated until you actually see the construction site.
Aidan Lowe

JT91 wrote:I really cant get as excited and enthusiastic about this coaster. looking at that height and layout I cant see this being very thrilling and I very much doubt were getting a launch, really hoping for once there will be a gimmick of some sort! maybe i'm being to pessimistic.
History goes to show gimmicks & height aren't necessary to build a thrilling ride. Prime example of that is Nemesis.

This coaster will have nice banked turns, airtime, head choppers & hopefully a nice theme as well as being a wooden coaster that should be enough to get people excited.

Because the first drop is inside a sound tunnel which almost covers most of the track until it reaches the bottom of the site and the first turn into the theming structure, I'd hope they can sneak in an inversion similar to Mine Blower in there.

Most of the GP in this country won't be aware wooden coasters can invert, and what a way to have a surprise than an inversion covered up by a sound tunnel. They can easily leave the brief section till last and finish that section of the coaster in no time during close season (so no GP see it) and then begin rigorous testing for March opening.

Construction seems to be progressing well, can't wait to get back on park to see the site again.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Bert

[youtube]aK3HuCVVnS4[/youtube]Just going to dump this here, it's an interesting watch.
[Insert Signature Here]
lewis97
Admin
Admin

In that video it's just about possible to make out a wire mesh at the top of the theming structure, along with what I can only describe as black fins...