Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Bert

Maybe they're spare pieces, Ready for any replacement work in the distant future. 
[Insert Signature Here]
simononestop

And already going rusty, it’s a bit strange. Could be rejects?
Last edited by Dan on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar
stevebrown

That's just surface rust where the water and moisture has come into contact with the surface, nothing to worry about.  It's exactly the same as when you wash your car and the brake discs go rusty within a few hours of washing it.  You could probably wipe the rust off with your finger.
Chris
Admin
Admin

The maintenance track is actually made of steel, and looks more like a Vekoma style track where the upstop wheels sit on the rails, and not the running wheels so they can be maintained.

Wooden coaster track is so custom made, they probably have lots of spare in case a piece was bent in to the wrong shape, etc etc.
Javs

I thought it was a bit early for testing! The last few pics we saw before the park closed showed no signs of the track being laid. I would guess it will take them at least 4-6 weeks to lay all the track down and secure it ready for initial testing! I don’t think we will see a coaster on the track until at least Jan. (P.S. I’m not interested in reports from an anonymous person of testing having been witnessed! It’s more than likely incorrect at this early stage, especially as coasters don’t like running in cold weather)
Tom170499

Javs wrote:I thought it was a bit early for testing! The last few pics we saw before the park closed showed no signs of the track being laid. I would guess it will take them at least 4-6 weeks to lay all the track down and secure it ready for initial testing! I don’t think we will see a coaster on the track until at least Jan. (P.S. I’m not interested in reports from an anonymous person of testing having been witnessed! It’s more than likely incorrect at this early stage, especially as coasters don’t like running in cold weather)
It’s not early for testing. The planning documents stated testing would begin in December. Also, a lot of the metal track has been laid on areas such as the lift hill and break run.
Zach

Chris wrote:The maintenance track is actually made of steel, and looks more like a Vekoma style track where the upstop wheels sit on the rails, and not the running wheels so they can be maintained.

Wooden coaster track is so custom made, they probably have lots of spare in case a piece was bent in to the wrong shape, etc etc.
Here’s an image of the track I believe Chris is describing, hopefully this helps you visualise it a bit better, this is SW8’s maintenance track. If you look at this end of the maintenance track, you can see how/where the train would transfer from the normal track of wood with metal plates to the steel maintenance track Chris was describing.  
PhNx Survivor

Whoa, good picture! Is that paint on the back wall? I really hope the Maintenace Shed is used for something other than being a holding section.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Zach

PhNx Survivor wrote:Whoa, good picture! Is that paint on the back wall? I really hope the Maintenace Shed is used for something other than being a holding section.
I do believe it is paint, black is an interesting colour which may suggest we may see something happen going through there, perhaps a finale, who knows?
Robert.W

Zach wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:Whoa, good picture! Is that paint on the back wall? I really hope the Maintenace Shed is used for something other than being a holding section.
I do believe it is paint, black is an interesting colour which may suggest we may see something happen going through there, perhaps a finale, who knows?
I'm not suggesting that there couldn't be any theming / effects in the maintenance building, but could the black walls also be used to make the inside of the building more dark, so guests can't see much as they go through?

PhNx Survivor

I was thinking that to be fair, it would be a great opportunity missed if there is no finale, however I'm sure the experience and ride itself will be thrilling enough. All honesty I'm just looking forward to that first drop :lol
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Owen

Sure it is black but that may just be an undercoat which will see theming placed over it. This paired with some lighting will make it so the wall itself isn’t so visible unlike if the wall was themed with some sort of texture!

I expect something will happen, nothing incredible (it’s still a maintenance shed) but something to round off the ride! :)
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Attractions Images have shared these aerial images on Twitter and Instagram respectively...

T0mPr1ce

Very interesting. The structure is rather 'boxy' isn't it. All looks good though. Is that the ride shop up now as well?? Also, note the tunnel leading from the brake run into the maintence shed. 
ROYJESS

The Structure looks more like a ram than a man 

I'm wondering if The Wickerman was put out as a red herring?
Owen

I expect there will be the two face idea used here, with the smaller one we saw before having one side being a man it makes sense.

Also remember just because it may not be a ‘man’ it doesn’t mean it can’t be considered as so - an effigy of any kind could be in my eyes. :P Looking at it I’m a bit disappointed with the sound walks, and that queue doesn’t look fun! :lol

It’s also interesting that The Welcoming still doesn’t seem to have been removed for the restaurant yet...
ATI

ROYJESS wrote:The Structure looks more like a ram than a man 

Wicker Ram?
We were born to fly...
Tom170499

ROYJESS wrote:The Structure looks more like a ram than a man 

I will be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong if I am, but I really don’t think it will be called Wickerman. I know there have been so many “leaks” but I think they could indeed be red herrings as you have said ROYJESS. I don’t know why I think as I do, I just have a feeling. The marketing teams know we have access to the planning documents, that we use social media and the internet to find things out, and that we all work together to uncover aspects of new developments so I think it’s entirely plausible that they have led us down the wrong path purposely to keep the real theme a true secret. Like I say, I could be wrong and the “evidence” we have already is compelling but I just have a feeling. 
Robert.W

I have to say, I think that the whole little area around the station and what appears to be the shop looks rather nice! It definitely has a village-y feel to it.
Also interesting to see the sound tunnels go up. It looks as though they are using a darker wood, maybe to make them look less plain from off the ride?

Dan

Some great images there, it really shows just how close this project is to completion. Loving the look of the Wicker Man, I really think it will be even more imposing than the Marmaliser when you enter the area around the ride and queue line.

It must be noted though that only one side of the head of the Wicker Man is visible on these images so we can’t read too much into it without seeing both sides.