Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Justin

Justin wrote:Merlin Magic Making will most certainly be involved. I believe it is the Northern Studios working on the project.  I will have to see if I have a photo.
Found it... 
DAN31 wrote:Really excited for sw8!! And i think the majority are also hyped about it also.
Will be good to have that feel good factor around again after the past events!!
We've still got months of development to go. The future is bright!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I have moved all posts relating to the newly released video to SW8 Speculation and DiscussionWhere possible, please try to keep the discussion in its relevant topic otherwise things can get messy with the same things being discussed in multiple places.

On the subject of construction, Theme Park Worldwide posted the following photo from today showing that additional bents have gone up alongside what looks to be a wooden fence of sorts.

mikecloud

Assuming the higher track in the above pic is the bunny-hop after the initial drop? It then shifts to the left from there into the first helix at some speed out of the sound tunnel - that's going to be awesome. 
OhShambhala

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it seems this section is after the helix and the theming structure fly through going into the turnaround at the top of the site. Of course I coud be wrong but I think this is probably correct.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
Melchi

You can see the really heavily banked bents behind the bunny hop.  This is the turn after the main drop. It does look to be about the same height though so I think you right that its going to leave the sound tunnel and enter the first helix at some speed.
Justin

Theme Park Worldwide has posted the following images...

Tom170499

Justin wrote:Theme Park Worldwide has posted the following images...

Where abouts on the site is this? I've been struggling for around 15 minutes to work it out  ](*,)
T0mPr1ce

Thats a large gap between the two paths, waiting for some queue line theming perhaps?
Justin

Tom170499 wrote: Where abouts on the site is this? I've been struggling for around 15 minutes to work it out  ](*,)
Isn't it just left of the new pathway, on the corner near the newly installed screen?
Adam.W

Interestingly, Google maps has been updated with an image from the beginning of the season.
Where abouts on the site is this? I've been struggling for around 15 minutes to work it out  
Looks like it's to the left of that turny...helix thing which passes through the theming structure twice (down and to the left of the theming structure in the above picture)
PhNx Survivor

Looks to be where the flume would do its first turns before hitting the first lift
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Teammaddiz

Adam.W wrote:Interestingly, Google maps has been updated with an image from the beginning of the season.
Pretty cool to compare it with how the site looked in 2013:
https://imgur.com/a/hL6xu
(Still can't get it to embed...)
Justin

Teammaddiz wrote:
Adam.W wrote:Interestingly, Google maps has been updated with an image from the beginning of the season.
Pretty cool to compare it with how the site looked in 2013:
https://imgur.com/a/hL6xu
(Still can't get it to embed...)

To add images you will need to add the following Image at the end of the image url. There is also a share link on Imgur for forums too. Hope this helps :)
Chris
Admin
Admin

Nice comparison! They have certainly made the best use of the land.
RobJackson85

It would've been nice to see it go into the trees more like the flume did. However, the height would've been an issue and no doubt they are under some sort of protection.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Photos posted by Theme Park Worldwide yesterday show progress on the cladding of the station/maintenance/comms buildings, the roof of the small building near the theming element, and what I think are additional bents for one of the turns at the bottom of the site.

andy_sj

I think the station and surrounding buildings are looking superb, the cladding they have chosen will work really well with that area.
PhNx Survivor

They've covered the maintenance building quickly.. don't suppose it couldn't have anything inside waiting for us?
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Capt.Barnacles

Update from me! Work has been progressing unbelievably quickly with the construction team back on site today working hard at putting up more of the ride. First thing we noticed was the newly laid out queueline edging, which covers two loops. Secondly was a part of the land has been dug out between two of the concrete rings on the flume turnaround, not sure what that's going to be for since the wooden structure is in the way of any potential pedestrian access. Third, handrails are now installed on the flat turn by the queue shop, as well as the entire first drop leading up to the current end. Track laying has finally moved past the wooden platform at the crest of the lift as well, and has also begun in the flat turn too. About 4 new bents were laying stacked by the final turn of the ride as well, ready to be put up, so I'm expecting these will go up this week.

ImageImage
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Is it plausible that the wooden cross-bracing between the bents where the turf has been dug up could be removed or repositioned higher up at a later date so that the queueline can pass underneath the track, as is shown on the plans? While it does seem a bit odd to do it in this way, I thought maybe for a narrower crossover that doesn't require metal beams the process could be something like fully securing the bents, laying the track, and then adjust the cross-bracing.