Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
PhNx Survivor

Think it's clear to say we are definitely more than half way constructed now?!?!?! Getting exciting now :p
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
Capt.Barnacles

Definitely, I've edited an image of the plan to show just what's gone up now and what's left, with the areas left for foundations marked in yellow.

MakoMania

Wow, that really puts into perspective how far along construction is for mid August! It amazes me how close to the ground some parts of this ride are going to be, I just hope the layout will retain a sense of speed throughout.

Slightly off topic but I just can't believe it's been 5 years since the construction of The Smiler and here we are watching yet another SW project, how time flies!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Kraken

PhNx Survivor wrote:Think it's clear to say we are definitely more than half way constructed now?!?!?! Getting exciting now :p
GCI know what they are doing - but I think the installation of the bents is the faster part of the ride going vertical, as you just crane the bents in and bolt them into place.  Once the bents are all in place the actual track has to be added, which will take a while.  Anyone who has been on a rough woodie will know what track profiling errors feel like! 
That said, I agree it's really encouraging to see the speed of progress.  Didn't they say the ride should be complete by the end of the year, to allow 10-12 weeks of testing & staff training before opening for the 2018 season?  If that is right, then they are pretty much on schedule as a guess.  I am excited by this ride - yes, it's not going to be GCI's biggest coaster by any means, but anyone who has ridden White Lightning at Fun Spot Orlando will know what small GCI's can pack a  punch and be good fun for a large age-range of guests.  
This is deliberately not a Smiler (i.e. appeals to extreme thrill-seekers) - it much more a family orientated ride, probably with a 1.2m height restriction, which is just what Alton Towers needs to help recover the ground it lost back in June 2015.  
Capt.Barnacles

Tbh, I can't fault anything you've said. GCIs really do pack quite the punch, and as for schedule, the last I heard they were about 2 weeks ahead, but I heard that like a month ago so i have no idea where they stand now.
PhNx Survivor

As long as it ain't an ass killer like Grand National at BPB.. I'm happy :D

(I doubt SW8 will have any painful points unlike GN)

Also for anyone who is worried about the ride being slow at points.. this guy makes the coasters to a near 1:1 scale using the plans as guidelines (made quite possibly the greatest Smiler recreation that is spot on!), check out this vid if interested.. is a nice watch anyway to be fair.

jackf1tz

This looks great, if SW8 is anything like this i'm sure it'll be a great ride
Ladyofthelake

TowersTimes News have a full construction update which shows the latest progress across the site. The metal frame for the pre-show building has been erected, whilst further bents are being added across the site. The shell of the queueline shop has been constructed, whilst work is ongoing on the lift hill to prepare it to receive the metal track.

Save
Save
PhNx Survivor

On the plans it states that the sound tunnel is rather long.. but looking at pictures it ends before the bottom of the first drop? Do we know if it's changed or if there is still more tunnel to be made..
lewis97
Admin
Admin

PhNx Survivor wrote:On the plans it states that the sound tunnel is rather long.. but looking at pictures it ends before the bottom of the first drop? Do we know if it's changed or if there is still more tunnel to be made..
It's not really possible to know for sure until they start work on enclosing the tunnel, however I would agree that it does look as though the bottom of the first drop will be uncovered, but that's not to say the track won't enter another tunnel as it climbs back up on the other side of the lift hill.
PhNx Survivor

lewis97 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:On the plans it states that the sound tunnel is rather long.. but looking at pictures it ends before the bottom of the first drop? Do we know if it's changed or if there is still more tunnel to be made..
It's not really possible to know for sure until they start work on enclosing the tunnel, however I would agree that it does look as though the bottom of the first drop will be uncovered, but that's not to say the track won't enter another tunnel as it climbs back up on the other side of the lift hill.
Hmm.. that could be an interesting concept, like coming out the first tunnel with flashing lights, then entering the next tunnel going up and so on.. Similar to what people create on Planet Coaster ! Would be a good effect for Scarefest I suppose, but the likeability of that happening is probably minimum, and like you say most likely enter another tunnel.. fingers crossed though it doesn't! [-o<
Jcoaster

I know that they basically have no choice about the tunnels but I really don't like the idea of the track being enclosed, the whole point of wooden coasters is that they look visually impressive as well as fun and thrilling. Hopefully they dress the sound tunnels up a bit and not just have a big wooden rectangle encasing the first drop.
simononestop

Jcoaster wrote:I know that they basically have no choice about the tunnels but I really don't like the idea of the track being enclosed, the whole point of wooden coasters is that they look visually impressive as well as fun and thrilling. Hopefully they dress the sound tunnels up a bit and not just have a big wooden rectangle encasing the first drop.
I said this a while back. I agree. would be better left open. how much noise can I make?
PhNx Survivor

simononestop wrote:
Jcoaster wrote:I know that they basically have no choice about the tunnels but I really don't like the idea of the track being enclosed, the whole point of wooden coasters is that they look visually impressive as well as fun and thrilling. Hopefully they dress the sound tunnels up a bit and not just have a big wooden rectangle encasing the first drop.
I said this a while back. I agree. would be better left open. how much noise can I make?
It's not the case they don't have a choice, they have a choice, but due to previous coasters getting complaints from the local village.. (just move???) they have to minimise noise, in which case tunnels would be taking up sound, although I always though tunnels enhanced the noise with a roar but meh, I'm no expert! however if you do want to hear a woodie in the UK for the noise they make, then BPB or Whitewater Valley will have your best bet. Although I doubt that these newer coasters will sound anything like what they did with traditional wooden coasters years ago.
Jcoaster

They don't really have a choice, if they don't take noise into account the planning application won't get accepted (one of the more annoying things about having a theme park in a conservation area  :roll: ) I was just saying that I personally think they will look ugly
TheDuke

I know its a long way off but I'm so excited for the trains to arrive and for us to see some queue line progress. The coaster is also looking great
simononestop

yeah I know all about the noise restrictions.
would it not be better to make a quieter coaster cart and leave it open?
 than just add loads of tunnels? and spoil the view?
I just wonder how much noise is reduced by the tunnels
Dan

SW8 construction has taken another turn today with some interesting additions to the top of the theming structure

I have said for a while that I believe the structure will be a Minotaur of some sort and the addition of these "horn like" pieces would go some way to confirming this.
OhShambhala

If only they removed the cover off that scaffolding so we could see underneath!  [-( 
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
PhNx Survivor

soo.. this could also confirm that it is half way constructed? (Thought about the Smiler then.. miss that audio :( )