Wicker Man Construction Discussion

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Count-Vonduel

I also think it looks like a burnt ship!
Ship=pirates=mutiny bay=mutiny bay themed coaster=return of pirate show...please?
Dan

Count-Vonduel wrote:I also think it looks like a burnt ship!
Ship=pirates=mutiny bay=mutiny bay themed coaster=return of pirate show...please?
So you want the most ideal end game of SW8 construction to be the return of the Pirate Show? Sorry but, no :P

While I agree that I think the theming element will have a burnt/charred effect of sorts, it won't be a ship.
RobJackson85

Owen wrote:I'm sure you have noted the complete lack of banking on the turn which would suggest a low speed at this point, hopefully this is for a reason or another banked section will be added on top,  rather than the coaster slowing down... :nervious:
Hopefully, it's just an area where the speed will still be fairly high, and they just want to give us a taste of some lateral g's!
ROYJESS

Dan wrote:
Count-Vonduel wrote:I also think it looks like a burnt ship!
So you want the most ideal end game of SW8 construction to be the return of the Pirate Show? Sorry but, no :P

While I agree that I think the theming element will have a burnt/charred effect of sorts, it won't be a ship.
I agree, it won't be a ship.
Wickerman is probably the most likely, that would have been set on fire as part of the rituals, 
.......but only time will tell
Owen

RobJackson85 wrote:Hopefully, it's just an area where the speed will still be fairly high, and they just want to give us a taste of some lateral g's!
Possibly, but if this does end up being a family coaster I doubt they'd want it to be too full on. Dont want kids flying all over the place! :lol
Brett

So my guess is that the preshow building will be similar to the likes of what we saw at efteling with Baron, projection mapping on a high walled room. 
AltonOperator

Was it an actual preshow with some kind of story telling or do you think it will be just like smiler with random projections?
Thanks Jack
dazza4783

Owen wrote:

Also this image popped up in a discord server showing the turn around half way through the course...

I'm sure you have noted the complete lack of banking on the turn which would suggest a low speed at this point, hopefully this is for a reason or another banked section will be added on top,  rather than the coaster slowing down... :nervious:
Is it possible that this could be a spinning wooden coaster? Would make it a unique coaster and would also explain why banking wouldn't be necessary there rather than because of a lack of speed, unless they are going for the lateral forces on that turn.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
streetmagix

Is this section towards the end of the layout? GCI aren't afraid of using less banking than is considered 'normal' so I'm not too concerned
ATI

dazza4783 wrote:
Owen wrote:

Also this image popped up in a discord server showing the turn around half way through the course...

I'm sure you have noted the complete lack of banking on the turn which would suggest a low speed at this point, hopefully this is for a reason or another banked section will be added on top,  rather than the coaster slowing down... :nervious:
Is it possible that this could be a spinning wooden coaster? Would make it a unique coaster and would also explain why banking wouldn't be necessary there rather than because of a lack of speed, unless they are going for the lateral forces on that turn.
No
We were born to fly...
PhNx Survivor

Owen wrote:Also this image popped up in a discord server showing the turn around half way through the course...

I seriously doubt that AT will install a second spinning coaster.. Especially since its a woodie! Also TS have uploaded a 360 Degree photo that shows the bottom of this drop, provided by Owen, is either connected to the section going under the theming structure or is close to completion.. If you look carefully through the bents you will see what I mean on TS' picture. (This may be old news though.. I'm a cabbage)
Capt.Barnacles

I just had a look at the same panorama, I can see what you're referring to, what I also noticed was the smaller wooden beams that go under the rails starting to be mounted to the top of the lift, so I'm thinking track laying could be happening soon!
Owen

streetmagix wrote:Is this section towards the end of the layout? GCI aren't afraid of using less banking than is considered 'normal' so I'm not too concerned
"Also this image popped up in a discord server showing the turn around half way through the course..." ;)
PhNx Survivor

Capt. Barnacles wrote:I just had a look at the same panorama, I can see what you're referring to, what I also noticed was the smaller wooden beams that go under the rails starting to be mounted to the top of the lift, so I'm thinking track laying could be happening soon!
Yeah I wouldn't be too surprised if track is laid down soon, think the packaging that states 'Alton (Number)' is definitely track.. wouldn't cover it up if it was wood as steel stacked together creates rust, even if the steel itself is galvanised or something similar. Time will tell!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
streetmagix

Owen wrote:
streetmagix wrote:Is this section towards the end of the layout? GCI aren't afraid of using less banking than is considered 'normal' so I'm not too concerned
"Also this image popped up in a discord server showing the turn around half way through the course..." ;)
Doh, you're right. Sorry. 
I'm still hoping it'll be towards the end of the layout but we'll see I guess. I just have that feeling that Merlin/GCI are hiding something in plain sight (and I don't mean the theming element!)
Capt.Barnacles

Thought I'd post my photos from yesterday, showing what Jordan and I observed whilst on park. About 12-14 bents went up down in the pit, forming the last turn before it jumps up and drifts into the brake run, the airtime hill before the third theming element pass through is just about complete with stuff to go up above the trench gap, crossbeams are in all the way up the lift now, with a gap left between the bents above the wooden platform at the top, and something a little more interesting in the development, path edging went in just behind the main fence, quite close to the edge of the slope down into the pit too. On top of these construction developments, more ground was being cleared near the theming element for foundation prep of the three concentric turns that still need pouring.

Peet

Thanks for a really good update, that airtime hill straight after the drop into the pit looks great!
OhShambhala

ImageThis photo is confusing me, there are two bents going off into two directions (after the drop into the pit) but in the plans it does not show track to be in that location, I'm trying to get my head around it??? Unless that section is after it goes through the theming element the second time and into the turn around at the top of the site?  :-k
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!
ROYJESS

OhShambhala wrote:ImageThis photo is confusing me, there are two bents going off into two directions (after the drop into the pit) but in the plans it does not show track to be in that location, I'm trying to get my head around it??? Unless that section is after it goes through the theming element the second time and into the turn around at the top of the site?  :-k
I think this is where you are seeing on the plans Image Image[/img]Image
OhShambhala

Ah I see now, thanks for that I was getting confused.  :lol
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!