Wicker Man Reviews & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Feed the flames! New for 2018.
Stan.H

TPC wrote:During the pre-show when the runes around the room first light up I always felt a slight movement. I never figured out whether they blasted some air from the sides, or if it was purely the boom on the bass that they use at that time.

I also entered one time and it seemed like some smoke was in the room. But never saw it again.
They do use a smoke effect in the pre-show (just to show the lighting breaking through the thatching), but I'm guessing the op forgot to spray some more (I believe its them who do it, not automatically). 
wamdue

Ok so spoilers, i'm not a big rollercoaster nut, but I guess this is like an MCU movie to some of you here.

Talking of movies, I really like the idea of having the final 5 minute of que, be a video, sure it's basic, but it does what it needs to tell, and really sells the theme.

Talking of the theme, the Wicker Man, just wow, make no mistake The Smiler is my favourite ride, but in the age of smart phones and social media, it lacks a visual centre piece. The Wicker Man on the other hand, has a giant Wicker Man, it's early days true, but right now, it looks amazing, and quite unique. The Rams head in the pre show is also really cool.

It is a really fun ride, but there are a couple of things that bugged me about it:
  •  The "hut" for the pre show, is too small, the staff are pushing people forward, to the point they can't see the screen.
  •   The staff have the best merch, going in I knew of course there would be a shop with mugs with t-shirts, and the long sleeve t-shirt the staff wears look great. So much better than what was in the store.
Talking of the store, I may have splurged.

At this point I'm going to be honest and say I dont know how to do a proper review of a rollercoaster, other than to say, it's a strong mid range rollercoaster, taken oven the top with strong theme and amazing over all design. I rode it 3 times over 2 day (Smiler, 8 times), so it is a really fun ride.
Last edited by wamdue on Fri May 11, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swarm Chris

I also saw staff urging people to go too far forward and then when the doors closed there was lots of space at the back and those at the front struggled to see.

A bit odd, but hopefully something that will sort itself out as everyone gets more experienced.
wamdue

TPC wrote:I also saw staff urging people to go too far forward and then when the doors closed there was lots of space at the back and those at the front struggled to see.

A bit odd, but hopefully something that will sort itself out as everyone gets more experienced.
No question at all, it's early days, it can be improved. I'm sure it will be, but the general public can be unhelpful at the best of times, but for a ride which hits everything else bang on, this one nail seems to have not been hit by the hammer.
Last edited by Justin on Sat May 12, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling and punctuation
Dom

I rode this for the first time on Friday afternoon and I have many positives and a couple of negatives about the coaster and thought I would share them. They have a solid addition to the park with Wicker Man, there is no denying that. It's big and theatrical and your can view it from so many different angles which makes it feel huge. It's a loud beast and it has a recognisable roar to it and it gets you quite excited to ride it. I didn't experience the main queue line but the fastrack one offers some fantastic views. 

The pre show is ok. It's nothing amazing. DBGT's pre show, for me, still wins. The problem I have is once the Wicker Man's face is revealed it looks a bit computery and if you look at the right side, you can see it glitching ever so slightly. That being said, a normal person wouldn't notice it was there and would be amazed by it. But having watched it 10 times I got bored and started looking at things more in depth. (Plus everytime it started and went dark, all I wanted to say was It's a fact). The station is very well themed and its really nice not having to step up to get into a train. 

The ride on this coaster surprised me. It's quick, like stupid quick. Watching it go round, it doesn't look it, but jesus, this thing flies. It also makes being flung around like a rag doll enjoyable. It has many air time moments, even if they are over in a blink of an eye. It made me laugh a lot every time. Back row is by far THE best row to ride as its just bonkers. And having a looser restraint helps so much. I made sure I breathed out/in to make sure they couldn't click it down to far :lol

The biggest issue I have is with the brake run and back into the station. It's just black. I know why it's just black, but it's just black. Nothing happens other than a bit a smoke. I mean, they could have done something with it, even if it was just themed curtains. Or even just a bit of a voice over to say something like in the pre show.

Overall its quite a fun coaster. It's not amazing, but its far from terrible. It's a 7.5 out of 10 for me
Jack

Dom wrote:(Plus everytime it started and went dark, all I wanted to say was It's a fact)
TT takeover idea then, Dom? ;)
Justin

It is a thing of beauty, but I must agree with you about the tunnel :) While it is suppose to represent death and darkness, I would like to see some lighting effects under the track, giving the appearance that the track is burning underneath. :)
Mikw

Justin wrote:It is a thing of beauty, but I must agree with you about the tunnel :)  While it is suppose to represent death and darkness, I would like to see some lighting effects under the track, giving the appearance that the track is burning underneath. :)
Now that's a great idea
Michelle

Justin wrote:It is a thing of beauty, but I must agree with you about the tunnel :) While it is suppose to represent death and darkness, I would like to see some lighting effects under the track, giving the appearance that the track is burning underneath. :)
Exactly what I thought when I was sat for what felt like an eternity on the break run.
Nickolai

And while you are sat there the fact it feels like burning would ramp up the fear and tension!
Formally Smiler313
theparklifekid

Finally rode Wickerman for the first time today and let me just say WOW I LOVED IT, I did it back row and middle row and they were both fantastic experiences, a world class coaster and my first wooden coaster! I think I still prefer Nemesis in terms of layout, but overall, this is my fav ride in the park. 

A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
ATI

Were you in back row with Taylor B?
We were born to fly...
theparklifekid

ATI wrote:Were you in back row with Taylor B?
Not in this pic, but me and Taylor both did back row.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
DerpyQuark

I rode Wicker Man for the first time on the 18th May. I queued for 45 minutes but it was well worth the wait. The queue line, as everybody else said, is very well themed, although it is a shame about the vandals.

The pre show, I found a bit too loud and scary, but I have sensitive ears. However, it tells the story of the ride quite well, and reminds me of Dodie Clark for some reason.

The ride itself is just about one of the best rides I have been on. When I was boarding the ride, someone had to do the walk of shame, which was slightly sad but my aunty was in the shop at the time and she comforted her. It was intense for a family coaster, which only makes it more fun! I love Big Bob, he is just a perfect addition to an already perfect ride! There was lots of airtime hills, and being an airtime lover, I enjoyed this very much, and the drops were extremely thrilling too. I loved Wicker Man so much, I rode it on my last day as well.

The shop is very well themed. On the last day of my visit (19th May) there were a member of the Beornen there, who interacted with me, which was scary but great at the same time.

Ratings:
4/5 for the queue line experience
4/5 for the pre-show
5/5 for the ride itself
5/5 for the shop

Overall 5/5
JayTricky

Visited the park yesterday for the first time in over 2 years. Turned out there was about 4,000 school kids in the park so the Fast Track option meant we were in the park at 9 and out by 2pm having ridden everything. A mere miracle on a very, very busy day.

Got my first ride on Wicker Man, on the first train of the day at 9:30am having somehow managed to get in the queue with just a normal day ticket.
Not going to go into a massive review but it's a game changer for the UK in my opinion. The whole package, the whole immersive experience. The coaster itself isn't the hero, it's how it all comes together from the moment you enter the queue to the moment you walk out of the gift shop. I've been to Orlando and the Disney/Universal parks many times and it's on the same level as those ride experiences.

Best way I can review it would be to maybe break it down into sections;

Queue line - 8.5/10 - Immersive and interesting views of the ride from all around the queue with the awesome music blaring out.
Music - 10/10 - such a great score. Perfect for the ride and building up the atmosphere.
Pre show - 10/10 - perfect length. Awesome theming. Quality experience.
Station - 10/10 - amazing feel to it. Theming once again unbelievable.
Coaster - 8/10  - by no means the most thrilling coaster, but very fun. More airtime than I expected and it feels quite fast. For me, doesn't have a boring moment and kept me interested the whole way round. Amazing theming, interaction with the queue line and Wicker Man itself. Just really fun. A coaster doesn't have to be amazingly scary to be a good coaster.

I will be heading back to the park in September to ride it again. I really want another ride so I can give it a better review once the novelty wears off.

Well done Alton Towers.
Wagstaff04

Okay, I think I’ve recovered enough to finally talk about this monster of a ride in depth. Here we go: 

Entering

Well, just entering the ride area is incredible! As the courtyard was closed due to Scarefest, we had to go round, and as you turn the corner, everything in Mutiny Bay changes. The music (which, in my opinion, is second best to Galactica) is booming out in everywhere you can imagine, and the whole sub-area is so well themed. 

The Queue

This has just strengthened the fact that Merlin are the world’s best queue-makers. This one in particular surprisingly interacts a lot with the ride itself. It made the 60 minute, and later 80 minute queue feel like 20. 

Pre-show

What I’ll always remember from this is the utter shock on my best friend’s face after the pre-show. It’s so well done,and the lighting in the room just adds to it. 

Boarding

I don’t believe the station smoke was on during my trip, but to be honest, this station taught me that there is such a thing as too much theming. I couldn’t focus on something as there was so much happening. As well as that, I do wish that the plans for a separate unloading station went ahead, as that would’ve made it so much better. 

The Ride

The key thing about this ride, in my opinion, is speed. I had two rides on it. Both were great, but the second one. Oh. My. God. It ticked every box. End of the day, check. Back row, double check. Raining, check check and check again just for good measure. It was amazing. 

Overall, second best ride in the park. Nemesis just pips it. But old Nemmy better be up for a fight, because this ride will only get better with age.