The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
colin_p

Link here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb ... 232333.stm - Will try to watch East Midlands Today on watch again later, we get Look North from Hull here :twisted:

This is not really much of a suprise is it? We have gradually watched this drama unfold over the last few months, the fact that rides were vanishing before they even officially closed the indoor play area was the final nail in the coffin of evidence.

It will be interesting to see what options the Council considers for the future, sadly I don't think a theme park will be one of the contenders, the market has changed since 1987 and there just aren't the investors out there to make it happen. There is also likely to be local oposition to that sort of plan.

RIP American Adventure 1987-2006 - Let's drink to happier times :drunk:

Colin :cry:
Altonator

Just seen this on the This Is Derbyshire Website

AMERICAN ADVENTURE CLOSES A DERBYSHIRE theme park has confirmed that it has closed down.

A spokesman for The American Adventure Theme Park, near Shipley, blamed a fall in attendances for the closure.

Its rides are currently up for sale.

See tomorrow?s Evening Telegraph for the full story.

Thats not very good news is it. It doesn't mention anything on there website http://www.americanadventure.co.uk/
I wonder if Alton Towers will buy any of the rides?
The Twinlooper would be good perhaps they could put it in coaster corner!
Not sure if flying island is still there or not but that could go in Blades place.
Whatever the weather outside it\'s always tropical at Cariba Creek
haydn!

[quote=""Altonator""]Just seen this on the This Is Derbyshire Website

AMERICAN ADVENTURE CLOSES A DERBYSHIRE theme park has confirmed that it has closed down.

A spokesman for The American Adventure Theme Park, near Shipley, blamed a fall in attendances for the closure.

Its rides are currently up for sale.

See tomorrow?s Evening Telegraph for the full story.

Thats not very good news is it. It doesn't mention anything on there website http://www.americanadventure.co.uk/
I wonder if Alton Towers will buy any of the rides?
The Twinlooper would be good perhaps they could put it in coaster corner!
Not sure if flying island is still there or not but that could go in Blades place.[/quote]

You might wanna try reading that last several posts... plus, the Flying Island went out with the nineties.
Dara

Despite it not being much of a suprise that its closing, I think it's fair to say that this has come around pretty quickly. If you cast your minds back to the last week of October after the fireworks display and in the months before that, the general mood on this thread was that everything was really looking up for the park. We all thought that the park finally seemed to know what they were doing and that it had a direction and some potential.
It wasn't until the first week of November when the job cuts were announced that we started to question just how well the park was doing.

I really do think its fair to say that 2006 was a terrible year for small theme park (except Paultons Park obviously). I'm actually quite worried about the long term future of theme park in the UK altogether.

The only parks whose visitor numbers have been up this year are thorpe park and paultons and thats because both have installed multi million pound new roller coasters. Parks cant afford to keep building expensive new coasters every year just to keep the visitors coming.

As so three smaller (but still major) theme parks have closed this year (and 3 in one year really is a lot), could this mean that larger parks could eventually suffer the same fate?
I know parks like Alton Towers and Drayton Manor are managing to keep going and keep making lots of money at the moment, but they certainly can't be described as prosperous times for them.

Could American Adventure, Rhyll and Southport just be the start of things? Certainly hope not!
Ash

Well all i can say is, Alton have been interested in rides from AA and i wonder what they may get their hands on, on the cheap of course! Perhaps coming in as a cheap addition for the 07 season?

Where will these rides be sold? On the net etc?
CGM

Yet another small UK theme park gone. Always sad to see. I can't say that this is all that suprising as the place was on its last legs anyway- any park that needs to close its biggest rides to keep going is as good as gone.

Being in a country where there are so many parks so close to each other, it's easy to see how the smaller parks lose out to the more succesful parks such as AT and Thorpe.

I suppose that leaves only two parks left struggling for survival- Dreamland and Camelot (although I'm still not quite sure what this 6 year arrangement is about).

I'm interested to see what will become of the JCB Looper now
fireball4eva

FUN FAIR ARE COOL LIKE ALTON TOWERS
Rita 2005

This has been common knowledge since last October when they put all of their rides up for sale.
th1

Sorry William, again you are completely wrong, i can assure you that the Log Flume has been scrapped and turned into bean tins.
it does not share the same supports as the Runaway Train and there is nothing left in the mountain.[/quote]
iriderides101

Oh dear another park pulls the plug. Anyway it wasn't going anywhere it was a crap park
colin_p

Quote from Derbyshire County Council:

A Derbyshire County Council spokeswoman said the authority received notice before Christmas that the theme park intended to surrender the lease from August.

She added: "A list of options for the future use of the land will be drawn up and presented to the full cabinet to make a decision.

"This could happen within the next three months as we would seek to have the situation resolved by the time the lease expires in August."

Taken from thisisderbyshire

Many reports to Derbyshire's cabinet are uploaded to their website, minutes of meetings are also there too, but often the jucy bits are left out due to sensitive commercial information being contained! The search box is here. Might be worth keeping an eye on that over the next few months!

Colin
Anonymous

[quote=""th1""]Sorry William, again you are completely wrong, i can assure you that the Log Flume has been scrapped and turned into bean tins.
it does not share the same supports as the Runaway Train and there is nothing left in the mountain.[/quote][/quote]
No, I'm not.

As for inside the mountain, Roger Lloyd himself confirmed it was all still in place and that he was considering opening it back up as a walkthrough type of thing. The channel is still in place.

The support structure _IS_ shared between the two rides within the mountain, this is completely true. Why else, then, do Runaway Train's supports go substantially higher than the Runaway Train itself?

I've also seen a blueprint of the combined support system.
Ash

Opening back up as a walkthrough even though the park has closed?
haydn!

[quote=""Titler""]Opening back up as a walkthrough even though the park has closed?[/quote]

Previous discussions with the big chief, I beleive this was over last summer...before the fate of the park was sealed.
Sazzle

What a rubbish time I picked to have my afternoon nap - I missed the bloody news coverage!

Evening Post has a large section on the closure with it making front page news in a small column.. Ouch :(.

They don't seem particularly happy with el Lloyd's Jeckyl and Hyde stunt either :-|.

And to say you lot doubted me!!
Nick

You can view some great Bird's Eye View shots from the following link;

CLICK!

Click on the little button with the buildings on
Crofty

Yobe! Please use This topic for all your American "Bovis" Adventure needs (where you will find info on the news of the themeparks closure) :)

Tarr

:D :D

*locked*
Sazzle

Yeah we've had that before, Nick. The images are from around 2000 as Flying island is there (Snake Island, top right).

Would be interesting to see if someone could get some pictures now!