The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
themadman26

40 x 15 = £600
sorry I think that these free vouchers were a bad idea for a park that is struggling for cash :D
Good Bye I\'m off elsewhere
Anonymous

aparently, american adventure is soon to be taken over by white flags the american thrill company.
Anonymous

[quote=""themadman26""]
40 x 15 = £600
sorry I think that these free vouchers were a bad idea for a park that is struggling for cash :D[/quote]

But consider this, those 40 people who entered with free tickets would probably not have gone if they had to pay full price, so as long as these people spend some money whilst in the park they are at least contributing towards the fixd costs of operating, which remain constant whatever level of guests are on park.
colin_p

aparently, american adventure is soon to be taken over by white flags the american thrill company.
Who?? :?:

If you mean Six Flags - forget it! That is an old rumour well and truly dead. They would not be interested in buying a UK park, they have some serious group problems which resulted in the sale of their European parks, they would not pull out of Europe and then buy a UK park with quite restrictive planning regulations being imposed on it and locals keen to oppose any developments.

Off course if you mean another company that I can find nothing out about then I stand corrected!
Anonymous

Another crazy rumour colin_p, i would take it with a pinch of salt, i was considering deleting it, but thought i would leave that for Sarah-TTF :)
Sazzle

It can stay.. It'll be something to look back and speculate on later on I guess, but I take no responsibility for the owners of the post being mocked/laughed at if nothing suffices.

I also forgot to mention there lorries carrying top soil going to the overflow car parks? Maybe soiling them over.. They have trouble filling the main car parks they have, let alone the over flow ones! The process is still going on - a lorry drove past me this morning on the main road at half past 8.

I also can't find anything on a "White Flags".. so I'd be interested to hear more of their proposals... If there are any.
colin_p

I also forgot to mention there lorries carrying top soil going to the overflow car parks? Maybe soiling them over.. They have trouble filling the main car parks they have, let alone the over flow ones! The process is still going on - a lorry drove past me this morning on the main road at half past 8.
No doubt it's also a nice little earner for the park, especially as they don't own the land!! There is apparently a market for this sort of operation, there was a documentary about it on TV last week, although that concentrated on some rather dubious firms dumping Asbestos with the soil.....

Of course it may well be a Derbyshire County Council led initiative and I might be wrong, it has been known :roll: I would imagine the plan would be to re-seed the area and let nature take it's course, which of course looks good on the park's environmental credentials.....

Just catching up on posts, it's a shame that the Missile seems to be suffering, although I'd say that the track has perhaps oxidised (turned a dark brown) rather than rusted. It's not quite the same but one does lead to the other!

As to the car parking, is it a certainty that staff park in the main car park? I always thought they parked up at the top to the left of the old main entrance. Has anyone seen any car park marshalls/security this season, they were not around back in April when we visited and I wonder if they have got the chop as a cost-saving.....
Sazzle

Possibly, hence why I once saw a car backed into a tree which was rather amusing.

The cars I refer to were parked in the coach bays rather than the actual car prak - prompting me to think them staff rather than guests. Staff do park in the old main entrance car park as it monitored more closely and has members of staff/security patrolling the area frequently.

I was contemplating the process of oxidation on The Missile - which may have occured with the track not being painted, you'd be very shocked to see the current state of it. If they don't keep their eye on it - it WILL turn to rust, and I dare say became irrepairable what with the state they leave their rides in.

My dad and I were commenting yesterday on the fact that they planted some 'baby' trees a few years ago, and this summer have bloomed to look gorgeous - they now block out the empty space on the hill where you could previously see the local hospital. I think they might be extending this area of woodland to create a smiliar effect as the one they've recently experienced. If it is a council plan.. I dread to think how they must be mumbling about the bills they're picking up for it :roll:
the_j

Has anyone been recently , have they started to remove any of the sbno rides , any signs of the old pirate ship and rapids being repaired/rebuilding, have they started work on the indoor play area and is attendences still at the park low (hand full of people on park each day)

on a different note found thsi article quite intresting read about what is a family park and quotes aa as a park trying to use the family title as a way to avoid ride investments , intresting read ,

http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk ... _06_01.htm
Sazzle

Okay..

1) No the rides have not been removed, they're all sta there still in the same sorry state - see previous post.

2) The Pirate ship won't be back until the end of June, and there is no work that I could tell of happening on The Rapids.

3) I can't tell, I've not been :P

4) Attendance is still very low, we debated this in the past few posts if you'd care to read back...

On a different note, I was leafing through mountains of old family photos a few moments ago, and happened across this one (this is only around 25% of the full picture, email for the full one as you can see detail more clearly):

A little tiny Sazzle with the old AA mascot and my cousin. Notice, the place is teaming with people, there's a horse in the background, and there's also the blue bit on the bottom right is a lazy lil type show girls dress. You can see the paint is fresh, and the singing bears are working in the background.

Just thought I'd share with you... The picture would have been taken around 1995.

I have a few more, but I don't think I'll scare you with them lol.
Anonymous

God bless those bears... I really hope they're still there when the area opens back up this winter.
spark

wow, i hope you will share some more of them Sarah :)
Anonymous

95 and your cousin has those trousers on, looks like 80s lol!

Sorry onto topic - I went a few years back out of interest and found it to be dead and to be honest reading this I give it another 2/3 years before it closes unless something major happens.
I cant see why they have these rides not operating, yes they want to change to a family park but change costs money and having less 'attractions' attracts less people!

Also just thinking about the rapids, that will be one looong walk to get to them once they have been done-up unless of course they add rides around there.
Sazzle

I've just read the whole of the article posted above, and I must say, they're quite right. Unless American Adventure really buck up their ideas, they've got no hope of created a successful park.

Family parks have to hold some kind of magic - something that captivates the children and lets them use their imagination. At the moment, a lot of crusty of fibre glass themeing really isn't doing the park any good. SBNO rides are hardly something to help the kids get 'lost' in the atmosphere, and there's nothing that special about having an 'American Adventure' without the American!

At least at Gullivers Kingdom you have the backdrop of the countryside, where children can imagine a world far beyond reality, of escaping in the trees etc.. I know it sounds really daft, but thats how kids work!

Even in that picture, you can see the scenery around, that's something special for a kid. All the colours of the park add to their experience - I craved colour when I was younger, hence I now have a ridiculous addiction with the spectrum :tongue:.

There you have a really good view of the many Derbyshire Valleys... Okay so American Adventure have Shipley Park, but the areas where you get the best views are blocked off!

Now thats what you call a family roller coaster - not The Buffalo. Switchback has the colour, the twists, the look... Attemping to turn Iron Wolf (Twin Looper) into a family coaster isn't really the smartest idea - it has two loops, and the restraints really aren't the best for reassuring a child they're not about to fall to their death... Gullivers Kingdom have done their research and have their feet well under the table when it comes to being known - American Adventure made their decision within a few months, at the haste of what would appear to be their realization that they've failed themselves. Having two rides written off in a year isn't bad going!

Okay, so Gullivers have been established longer - but they started off as a family park, just like Chessington did. The transition from thrill to family is going to be hard, so many pople are going to remember the tatty state the park has come to be known as, and they're going to remember what AA used to push - their signature coaster and the 60ft drop of Nightmare Niagara. AA don't really go for advertising, so how are they going to shift their target audience into wanting to visit? Answer... They're probably not.

Simply cutting back on investment doesn't mean your park is going to magically transform into a family park. Smaller investment doesn't mean smaller people!
Roddy

Personally I believe American Adventure shouldn’t go down the path of a family park.

Gullivers kingdom had one of the most disappointing seasons last year, even with the launch of their new ride. There’s no big money to be made and gullivers kingdom only survives because it has two sister parks for financial support.

American adventure is looking for an easy solution, because they’ve not got the money for any major attractions their dubbing down the park and slapping a family label on the place.

AA is in a perfect position to develop the place into a thrill park, got some landmark rides (or used too) and isn’t too near any other parks to rival it. But now it’s a family park there only going to appeal to a much smaller audience. They’ll be open much less to coordinate with when children are off school. And also they’ll lose out to gullivers every time with 28 years under their belt.

Also they need to get advertising. I picked up a leaflet for AA and it had the missile and nightmare niagra on the front. A localised advert on television would be a great way to get the message across that there a family park, just like gullivers did with a 30 second, really well planned out ad which gave the place a much needed boost.

Here at gullivers we get some many people coming in the closed season with kids (who should be at school) and needing some sort of day out. So I suggest American adventure and they usually say ‘its not really suitable for children though is it’ because there’s no way of knowing it’s a family park now.

p.s the second picture of gullivers is out of date, they bulldozed western world down and replaced it with a new indoor area.

-Roddy
Sazzle

[Thanks for pointing out the area has been removed, though the picture was to show thr Derbyshire area in the background - why did they remove it?]

I don't know what the park are up to, but they're giving out mixed messages.

I picked up a leaflet in the local town, which clearly explained they'd changed their audience, but it was laughable just how they were trying to market themselves. It was all patronising talk about how they've got their mascot bears dressed up in pink frilly frocks, and Rascal Rocket (which I hasten to add was closed last time I went) which they claim is the best thing since sliced bread.

There's no point advertising the park locally, we don't care any more, everyone can see its been run to the ground, and no one I've spoken to this year plans on visitng again now they know the best rides in the park are gone. Everyone is shocked at their disappearance, and are somewhat mystified as to why they're still standing.

IMO AA have no place in the family market, in fact I'm beginning to think they have no place at all!

I just don't think the park is set up for this audience, and with a lack of cash, there's not a lot they can do to re arrange the park to cater for families of the age range they're directing at. Besides, what fourteen year old will jump onto Rascal Rocket with high spirits? At that age they're chav wannabes who're more likely to laugh at the operator!

They need far more interactive facilities for the kids to touch and play with; like Alton have games in the Spinball queue. If they're not planning on keeping the whole American theme up to scratch, then scrap it - its not very well done anyway what with the removal of Nightmare Niagara, which in my opinion upheld what little credibility of 'Americanism' they had.

They said they added colour to the Pioneer Playland section by painting the faces, but it looks horrendous... From a childs point of view, its something to look at and it'll stick in their mind.. But really.. The colours could have been a little bit better thought out!

You see families at DMP, and they cater for all the family. They have th whole Robinsons thing with the slides and all the kiddie rides, not to mention the spectacular Carousel. Meanwhile, they have Apocalypse for the hard core riders, and Maelstrom which the whole family can ride. My mum is like a kid - she hates rides with a passion, she wouldn't even ride Nightmare Niagara when it was around, but she rides Maelstrom and Apocalypse. Now thats what you call catering for the family.

I know its difficult to compare the two, but I really am having doubts about them pushing the park in this direction, I feel it is a disastrous decison now I've thought about it. If you guys came to the park and just saw the amount of people it attracts, I dare say it'd bring a sinking feeling to the majority.

Now, I'm talking a long way off, but some day, I'll have a family. If the park remains in the state is is, even living down the road wouldn't be enough to convince me to take my kids there. I'd much rather take the 45 minute trek to DMP and give my kids a real day out. Thinking about the whole colour thing, DMP's rides are bright, they're fun, they're noisy, and they look like a 'big kids ride' but they're tame enough for children to ride (Flying Dumbos, Golden Nuggets, Cyclone, The Sombreros, Flying Dutchman).

Would you believe they're charging £14.99 (adult) entrance this year? DMP is just £19 (adult) at their maximum rate.
Lightwater valley rules

Lol Lightwater valley charge £15 and thats £1 pound up from last year!

On an other point do u think american adventure is keeping its big rides to test out if the family way is the way forward. The presuming they arnt up for sale.
Next trip to Lightwater valley = 29th october
bigblade40

The missile has been sold hasnt it?
bigblade40
spark

Well it was still standing on Sunday when i drove around the car park,