The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
spark

pics pics pics :lol:
colin_p

Health and safety say that it is structualy unsafe and therefore it has been condemmed.
Can't be that bad - they wouldn't let the RMT run under and around the structure if it was really that unsafe. Unless of course it was the 3rd drop that was unsound, judging by the rust on it I can easily belive that!
Not only that, it was breaking down on an hourly basis. I'm sure that water and electrics over time become the death of it.
:lol: Not the best combination by any means! However that is no excuse for a ride that is only 18 years old - both Alton Towers and BPB have had flumes for much longer without as many apparent problems, so perhaps maintainance is an issue....
As for the Rocking Tug, it's in it's place at the end of the Mall, where the Helter Skelter used to be and nope it will not be moving. The theming has been put up and it's a hard job to remove it all.
Thanks for the info - I was actually expecting it to end up on the island, near the water, but hey-ho, this is AA, with a rocket in Aztec Kingdom.... :roll:
Sazzle

http://sazsparkle.myphotoalbum.com

There you go guys - one set of AA pictures! Click on the pictures for full size images.

I managed to have a wander over there this afternoon, and took up my standing offer of a chat with Mr Lloyd.

The first thing I must mentioned is that on numerous occasions he stated that he reads this thread... Be very careful ;)

I had instructions to visit reception and ask a member of staff to radio Mr Lloyd, and my eventual reply was that he was tied up, and would meet me at Rockin' Tug at quarter past one... The poor lass Pauline didn't half look confused when I knew where it was! "Well its not on the map!"

I had a wander around, inevitably resulting in me disgressing back to my childhood where fond memories still stand, though the rides that hold them unfortunately don't! There were around twenty cars in the car park, and the number of guests was nothing less than pitiful, but then again - it is low season and the weekend had held high visitor numbers for the park.

What also became apparent was their remarketing is already beginning to have an impact on the park - I was the only teenager in the park (besides staff) and I saw one family with three generations - Grandparents, parents and the kids. This is something the park were hoping for and its already started - I for one didn't expect such a quick reaction.

Anyway, lets skip to the point :P.

We chatted about numerous things, and I can't remember everything (blonde and umm.. forgetful) but it'll come back to me with discussion. One of the most unforgetful things was that Spaceport will not reopen in any shape or form - that area of the park will stay as it is for a while until everything else is sorted, i.e. the deconstruction of Nightmare Niagara (which conveniently started while I strolled by).

I was rather nosey, and asked about future investment - he said he didn't mind, but there's nothing planned so far, they're scouting the market and looking as and when new attractions become available. He suggested a plan that spans three or four years for adding attractions and making a turn-around of audience, though I can see it happening in a few. He added that there wasn't a shortage of space that was the issue, rather cost-benefit analysis playing a huge part in the planning and addition of new rides, which led him to add that the availability of funds is also a factor... Make of that what you will!

As we walked around the park, I was pleasantly surprised at the attention to detail - painting had been carried out, staff were pleasant (perhaps that may have been because I was with their 'boss', I'm not sure) and the park looked really clean. I was also surprised to find my eyes fixated on the return of the now colorful and eye catching Yankee Clipper - a job well done! I hadn't expected to see Fire Brigade in action, but it was - and the kids love it! Mr Lloyd said he was aiming to introduce rides that parents and children can ride together, of which Fire Brigade is an excellent example. I can't really explain it, but I know for a fact if I rode with my dad I'd have liked to try and give him a good soaking ;).

As we spoke about the future, one thing he did mention was looking at a junior roller coaster - though it was a thought mentioned in passing, so don't get your hopes up too high!

I enquired about Fort St Laurence and his reply was that they'd have that area as the end of the park - blocking off Space Port. There are no definite plans for the rapids in terms of what they'll be changed to, but he mentioned that they'd be rebranded as faster and better etc - I asked whether the boat style was to change and he simply replied that they were playing with ideas.

One other thing thats just popped into my mind was the topic of Skycoaster. I asked whether it was to leave and the answer I was given indicates that it might be, though when I don't know. "The area its in is one where we can operate it without a problem" now, thats all well - but it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the park now, does it? The lease is about to go, so maybe the ride itself is... I saw no one 'book' a flight on it, and it looked positively dead today.

I can't remember a lot else at the moment so forgive me until it returns to me!

Once we'd parted company, I went for a waddle around with my camera, and found it odd that staff were now speaking to me as if I knew them.. Now, if you want nice staff - walk around with the manager for a while ;).

As I neared The Runaway Train I heard the ghastly noise of machinery.. Say hello to Big Bad Berty, drawn in to help with the demolition of Nightmare Niagara. I walked to The Runaway Train with this monster plodding along behind me, and by the time I'd had 8 goes on the thing (oh its lovely knowing ride ops ;)), Berty was in place at the side of the first lift. As I watched for an hour or so, the only thing I could see happening was a smaller digger making a hole near the channel. I heard someone suggest it might be for a pipe the drain the area with? Then the construction guy said "I bet this is the most interesting thing you've seen all week! Wait 'til the cranes start coming in!" Ouch.. Costly! And for what, the complete lack of maintenance over ten years; quite shameful really.

I had a little bitching session with the lad I knew about how a little bit of TLC would have made all the difference - and it wouldn't be today that The Missile and Nightmare Niagara are being removed. The Missile needed £4m spent on it for repairs to get it back to its original, working state, so the park have instead decided to sell it for £3m... On the Internet I hear (I could be wrong, this is hear-say). That one afternoon it was seen running was for the prospective buyer to have a look-see at her in action. There was nothing happening over that side of the park, so I didn't even bother going!

While I was chatting away around The Runaway Train, I noticed some post cards in the cabin - how sparkly and new did the place look then! I also saw an old tea towel of the park that's now used for cleaning the station cabin window... Harsh :roll:

My mind has gone a blank, so that concludes this post for now ;) Enjoy!
Lightwater valley rules

Depressing to see a park fall into such a state. Wouldnt like to see my local park to fall to bits like that. Anyway did he mention where the missile has being sold to sarah?

Intresting to see who would take up the challage of repairing it.
Next trip to Lightwater valley = 29th october
Sazzle

I'm not sure, as its (questionably) an Internet sale, its open for anyone to have a bid on I expect.

I can't see someone paying £3m for it, as it'd need £4m repairs.. So why pay £7m overall when I dare say you could get another second hand one thats in a more reasonable condition for around £6m and save yourself some pennies! (Or Euros, whatever..)
phil2k4

i think you could get a new boomerang for less than £7mil. they are a basic, small footprint coaster designed to provide smaller parks with a respectable thril ride on a budget. considering rita cost about £10mil with the rest of the ugland refurb, id say your looking at £4-5mil for a vekoma boomerang brand new. i doubt a roller coaster could get £3mil spent on repairs anyway. whats so badly wrong with it?
spark

Thats an excellent write up sarah and theres some interesting pictures too.

The Yankee Clipper looks excellent, lets hope the rest of the attractions are cleaned up to match it
Anonymous

thanks for all the info and photographs miss marshall! Looks most interesting - i will be making a visit myself sometime in the next few weeks!
colin_p

Great set of pictures Sarah - good to see you had that chat as well, very revealling!!
The Yankee Clipper looks excellent, lets hope the rest of the attractions are cleaned up to match it
Agreed - the standard of work is very impressive, it must look better than new! Having said that, all of the recent ride unit rehabs have looked like quality jobs, the Runaway Train's train is shining, the job Rundle's did on the Buffalo train is excellent and even the two year old Twin Looper respray looks better than some of the obviously brush-applied paint jobs of the past. If they can get the tracks of the Runnaway train and Buffalo to the same standard as the trains it would greatly lift the image of the park. I'm starting to almost like the bright colours - it certainly fits the new 'image' :D

Rockin' Tug looks good as well, very impressive and just enough in the way of theming to keep the target audience happy. Hopefully it will draw more people into the upper area of the park, although I guess there is still nothing to do in the mall itself?

Fire Brigade looks interesting, I would like to see that in action! It looks like it ought to spin but it can't posibly do that as there are no safety restraints - does it just go up and down the ladders? Good to see though that it is a permanent installation and the ghost of Flying Island is probably well and truly burried :wink:

I can see their point in keeping Spaceport closed - it allows them to concentrate on one area at a time. I.e. the fort for next year, perhaps the year after that something in the log flume space (I'm hoping they landscape the area in the meantime if no ride is due to go in straight away). Perhaps it will be 5 years before the gates to Spaceport open again, and it will be interesting to see how the park redevelops over that time.
Sazzle

Fire Brigade moves around the base while the holder things move up and down the ladders, you squirt the fire things in the tower and the more things you hit - the more lights light up at the side. It's a really evil thing to describe but its fun to watch kids trying to out do their parents! Oh, and it's the first in Europe (ping!)

Yep Colin they are going to landscape the area left behind from the Log Flume (see, I told you stuff would come back to me ;)). I had something else in my head but that's wandered off for a coke I think... It'll be back.

It was mentioned that you guys say 'throw money at it' but the answer is to prioritise funds to immediate needs - at the moment that's removal of Nightmare Niagara, refurbishment of The Rapids and trying to get the message across that the park is changing.

Some other things I haven't posted but have pictures of, is that near the staff entrance (close to Aztec) is a piece of landscaped garden with 'AA' in plants, admittedly it's not the best but there are some nice hidden gems in the park if you look hard enough! Image 16 in the photoalbum.

I also haven't mentioned that The Buffalo now has on ride photos - I took a picture of the photo stall but forgot to mentioned it! :| Doh.

Oh, the horse show is returning this Saturday, only 2 horses but they're doing trick riding. Silver City has had some refurbed theming, though Lazy Lil and her show girls have left the park.

Right, now to wait until that thought comes back from the kitchen... :?
colin_p

Yep Colin they are going to landscape the area left behind from the Log Flume (see, I told you stuff would come back to me ). I had something else in my head but that's wandered off for a coke I think... It'll be back.
Phew! I was dreading an area of drab concrete in the middle of the area.... Actually, I could do with getting the Time Team in to establish the true location of the original railway line once they have removed the flume.... :roll:
I also haven't mentioned that The Buffalo now has on ride photos - I took a picture of the photo stall but forgot to mentioned it! Doh.
We've got one of those at home! :D An interesting symptom of the late decision to close the Missile and the Flume is that on-ride photos for Buffalo and Twin Looper come (or did in April) in a plain yellow sleeve with no park or ride details on them, very odd!
Sazzle

Yeah my Nightmare Niagara picture from last year was in a yellow sleeve with nothing on, I actually find it quite ironic that I purchased a picture from The Missile and Log Flume last year and now they're closed... Odd! However the sleeve for The Missile was somewhat themed, though with a dodgy bit of photoshopping I must admit! Maybe I could cook something up for them in PaintShop.. ;)

Oh, and (ping!) they're not removing the mountain that housed the logflume, and they're keeping The Runaway Train open during the deconstruction process.. However they're going to manage that I'll never know seeing as they're practically intertwined, with the second drop of NN directly overhead The Runaway Train...
colin_p

Oh, and (ping!) they're not removing the mountain that housed the logflume, and they're keeping The Runaway Train open during the deconstruction process.. However they're going to manage that I'll never know seeing as they're practically intertwined, with the second drop of NN directly overhead The Runaway Train...
Glad you remembered :) I imagine that it will take some time to dismantle the flume, by the time it comes to the part of the ride over/close to the Runaway Train it might be the period in which the park is closed in the week (by my reckoning they have about 9 full weeks of opening left), so they will be able to work around ride in safety, and have the Runaway Train running again at the weekends. That's my theory anyway!

Thanks again for sharing all the info Sarah, I'm starting to look at the park in a different light again!
Sazzle

Well Mr Lloyd said they're looking at the end of July for total completion of removal.. At the pace I saw them working yesterday I suggest they get a big kick up the behind else it'll not be done for August!

I really do think judging by what I saw yesterday that this turnaround will work - I was skeptical at the start of the season but seeing it first hand has made me think a bit differently - a lot of work has been done to improve the guest's experience.
colin_p

Well Mr Lloyd said they're looking at the end of July for total completion of removal
:shock: :shock: :shock: That is very suprising, it gives them 5 weeks to work in, but it doesn't seem that long, especially in such a public area. Once they get started they will probably be on a roll, and although they will be working within strict H&S rules there is less precision taking things down than building them up, but I'm no engineer!!
I really do think judging by what I saw yesterday that this turnaround will work
Glad you are coming around 8) I'm looking forward to next season as I think the difference will be much easier to see. This year will be difficult for them, but next year the message will be well and truly out about the new style park and the tide will turn in their favour, as long as they market the park in the right way and don't dwell too much on the past.... and keep the pricing 'family friendly'!
spark

Some of them bolts that hold NN together would be very rust, I can imagine they would have a hard time shifting them
fanm

Thanx for the photos Sarah.

What Mr Lloyd says is very interesting, and it sounds as if the only reason the park announced it's change of heart a few weeks before the season was because they were busy getting at a master plan. I hope it goes well for the park. (but the refurb for the mine train looks a bit tatty!)
Argh! REVISION
Sazzle

Well I couldn't be bothered to do revision today so here's giving you

http://www.freewebs.com/sazzles_americanadventure

There's only the real basic stuff on there as I've spent most of my day doing thumbnails etc. I'll try and add some of the park's history as and when I feel the urge to do so, but for now, enjoy :)
Anonymous

Yeah, for now just look at whats allready online, seing as it's more than adequet to be honest. http://www.eparkguides.com/eAdventure/features.php

Im shocked, distressed and downright angry at the park. To be honest, it's their ignorance to park maintenance that has caused this, nothing else.
Anonymous

Hurrahzio!

American Adventure for me on wednesday! Just rang up and after hearing several times that "Alot has been happening at the American Adventure this year...", I finally got through to a human who told me that the park will close at 4:30, and they are currently having technical difficulties with Tennessee Tentacles and Yankee Clipper. She also advised me that they may have to close the rides surrounding Nightmare Niagara - Im guessing that was probably an educated guess more than anything.