The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Thomas

Doubt it, they have so much trouble with neighbors like Alton, and if six flags were to buy it they would want to build big rides and would not be able to

Thomas
colin_p

[quote=""Scream""]But what we want to know is if Six Flags are really going to take over AA - I sure hope so![/quote]

Er, No!

Six Flags may well have looked at the park in the past, but decided that with UK planning regulations being the way they were, and no doubt other factors too, they weren't interested.

As Six Flags have sold off their European operations, and are looking at selling off/closing some of their US parks, they are not going to be interested in buying American Adventure!
Sazzle

The Sun today:

"Raiders took 650 Shrek cuddly toys, 60 Tiggers and 60 Winnie the Poohs worth £1500 from the American Adventure theme park in Heanor, Derbys"

Oh dear.. Nice security they have LOL. My jaw dropped open when I read this on my lunch break at work today. The article was in a small box a fair way into the paper at the bottom of the page.. Seems small, but its evidently significant enough to make it into a tabloid!
caffeine_demon

how on earth do you walk out of a shop witth over 700 toys and not get challenged?
colin_p

Mmmm :roll: I think the Sun might have missed the fact that that this was probably a raid on the storeroom for the games consession. Even so, not the best advert for the park!
James2001

I don't know if anyone is interested (probabally not), but I uploaded some old home videos of The American Adventure to YouTube. They are from 1991, 1993 and 1994. They were filmed by my aunt, and I wasn't there at the time, so I'm not in them. The 1991 and 1993 ones are split into multiple clips because of YouTube's 10 minute limit.

1991 (includes show)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRNlN7iy0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFqwZlEqkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9M2YaKK23Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irRJ4p-gBgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aP33XnDUyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpN2c_Id9s

I do have a video that I filmed in 2001, but as it's just the Twin Looper and the Skycoaster, I don't feel it's worth uploading.
ukool

thanks so much for this, i love watchin things like this
spark

Thats really bad. I hope they sort out the security in future :x
haydn!

Park security is dire. The middway game storeroom is actually on the park behind the Silver City facade, so can't really see it being from here. Unless a delivery had been left early by the security entrance which does happen occasionally.

But to top this, two years ago the park had six 42 plasma inch tv's delivered. They managed about fifteen minutes on the park before they were stolen from right outside the security entrance!
Udder

A few years ago aswell the 3D cinema had a break in and one of the main projectors was taken.
colin_p

According to This is Derby it was an overnight raid, not a robbery from a shop in park hours. Security must still be lacking somewhere though!

Colin
haydn!

[quote=""colin_p""]According to This is Derby it was an overnight raid, not a robbery from a shop in park hours. Security must still be lacking somewhere though!

Colin[/quote]

Deffinately, because its meant to be 24 hour patrol. Though if its still the same as it was when I was there, they would either be asleep in the cabin or playing on starbase slide in the dark! (Popular pastime).

Seeing as they were for a Basketball Game too, they were obviously from the middways. So this would be from the storeroom behind the Silver City facade. Thing is, they wouldn't to go past the security gate as there are several other points of access across the park, not forgetting the fact any abled person could scale the fence.
Sazzle

For a start that dire fence to the front of Mini Mine Rush (where I used to put my camera through the hole for NN pics :P) is a joke!

I know people who - years ago when the park was worth visiting - climbed either over or under that excuse for a security fence to get into the park. Throwing some toys over a fence into a trailer or what have you (probably a wheelbarrow with a wheel missing knowing the louts around here) isn't exactly rocket science but I shouldn't have thought it too hard to stop them either!

Someone wants their behind booting unless this was some master mind prison-break scale effort.
Thomas

AA security is crazy

I can remember once when i climbed through the fence to into the park, and on the admission kiosk area nobody checked tickets or anythink last time i went so anybody could just smuggle a kid in, even an adult :wink:

Something to look forward to are the fireworks, always a good display and normally quite long too :D

Thomas
Dara

Does anyone know anything about AA's visitor numbers for 2006 yet? Have they picked up on last season? When I went to the park earlier this year it didn't seem any busier but that could have been because I went on a wet day
colin_p

[quote=""Dara""]Does anyone know anything about AA's visitor numbers for 2006 yet? Have they picked up on last season? When I went to the park earlier this year it didn't seem any busier but that could have been because I went on a wet day[/quote]

A bit too soon to say I would think, they have another few weeks trading to go before the end of season. The figures are not always released straight away anyway, often in the new year.

Colin
haydn!

Did anyone else realise this years fireworks are only going to be held one day!

This is a massive move by the park, despite the parks poor performance in recent times the fireworks have remained legendary in the local area.
Thomas

Really

I always thought fireworks pulled big crowds for AA, even so the car park is always full with people just watching them in there cars

Thomas
Dara

It will only be on saturday 28th october. However I got an E-mail form the park's sales and promotions team saying that although the fireworks display will take place at 7PM as usual, selected rides and attractions will remain open untill approximately 8:30PM (not sure what they mean by approximately :? )
This is something new as the rides normally close at about 6:50 just before the firworks start.
To be honest, I think it's a good idea to only have 1 display. Fireworks cost alot and the park is very unlikely to reach maximum capacity- almost impossible! It saves money and if the rides do get long queues at least the park is open till late.

On a slighty unrelater note, I think UK parks are starting to see the benefits of staying open later. They all seem to be trying it out this year. Thorpe park is the best example, staying open till 10pm on some summer dates. Also AT and flamingo land closed at 7pm on certain dates this summer and AT closed at 9:30pm on gaydar day and now that AA are experimenting with late closing hopefully it wont be long before we see all UK parks going beyond the 10-5 that we've recently got so used to. Sorry for going off topic a bit there :lol:
haydn!

No thats incorrect, selected rides have always remained open after the fireworks. In the past, all rides past Silver City, so it was basically the everything from the Log Flume right around to Space Port closed at 6:30.

All rides closed briefly between 7-7:30pm for the fireworks and the rides in the Alamo area re-opened including the Buffalo, Twin Looper and Sky Coaster. This has always been the case.

I can only imagine this will be the same this year with the obvious exceptions that the flume and Space Port no longer exist. But expect the Runnaway Train, Mini Miner and the Fort all to be closed earlier than the rest of the park.