The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Sazzle

I agree with you Dara, people argue that the RMT at AA is rough, though that's what I thought RMTs were supposed to be about! AT's is way too smooth for me, there's not enough 'throwing about' of the riders.

The Missile is extreme... Extremely painful :? However if you sit in the middle of the train it's not too bad - front and back give you whiplash on the cobra roll.

IMO the park is crying out for an inovative thrill ride, even if it only draws a few of the younger generation that could pass the message on by word of mouth.
spark

Yea

If they installed a second hand flat ride it would surly increase punters
Dara

Vortex at thorpep park apparantley only cost £1 million to purchase and install and it's now one of the park's most popular rides. I think AA should follow in their footsteps and install a KMG Afterburner. Although knowing their current buissness outlook they'd probably charge guests extra to ride it.
Sazzle

That actually wouldn't surprise me in the least :roll:.

An afterburner might look a bit too common though, what with Drayton having the Maelstrom Gyro Swing, though it would be a hell of a good investment for the park.

A topscan may be a good addition to the park, as the nearest one is at FI on the east coast - hardly 'close'. Depending on the ride setting, the throughput wouldn't be too bad either.
Adz
Admin
Admin

Depending on the ride setting, the throughput wouldn't be too bad either.
Unless they do a Thorpe Park. everythings crap, throughput, setting, queueline! you get more Gs on Ollie Octopus.

Hopefully if another park got a Topscan they would run it to its maximum.
spark

[quote=""Sarah-TTF""] Depending on the ride setting, the throughput wouldn't be too bad either.[/quote]

lol well it could run for 10 mins at a time and it would still have awesome through out
Emmaly

I think the park should emphasise their Water Rides more, with an Intamin Plunge installed, but with more than one drop.

They need to break the mould though, UK Theme Parks are getting way to repettetive for my liking.
Phantom

I don't think Intamin are going to make River Plunges anymore, after PP and Hydro accidents plus they cost about £6 million to build (approx)
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3
haydn!

The current water rides are pretty good as they are, although obviously in a pretty poor condition.

It would only take minor alterations to improve them, for the rapids, they should add alot more rock features...to emphasise the Rocky Mountain part of the rides name, and perhaps a few added water features... waterfalls, sprays, etc.

Then for the flume, well that just needs a dam good clean, but one thing they could do to improve it is add a turntable to the second drop, and make it reverse! Now that would be interesting, and do-able.
Dara

I think their water rides are fine. In fact I think the park are actually relying too much on their water rides at the moment. This is Britain and we have alot of cold and wet days so water rides aren't always what people want and while theyre great on hot summer days these are quite rare especially in Derbyshire.
They should install some cheap (but good quality) flat rides like thorpe have done (a KMG Afterburner, Fabbri drop tower, top spin. etc) which aren't that expensive, are quite low (so easy in terms of planning permission), and provide good thrills. They'd be a great investment for the park and would bring increased profit. Then, a couple of years later they could start installing decent coasters.
Andy_uk

Well in the closed season this year American Adventure have got to spend some money on the log flume because it has been classed as unsafe by health and safety. They can use it until the end of the season but after that they have to spend money on it otherwise they cant use it.

other info

They are moving rascal rocket

As from next season ( Park opens March 19th)
Rascal rocket will be relocated to Spaceport. They are getting rid of a ride called driving school and putting rascal rocket there. Also they are outing the old go-karts and replacing them with new ones. Also i have heard they are buying a new,bigger pirate ship. Also they clame there having a new film in the motion master. will be one from 5 years ago knowing american adventure.

And finally the holiday park plans have been passed but dont know when the construction will take place :)
colin_p

Well in the closed season this year American Adventure have got to spend some money on the log flume because it has been classed as unsafe by health and safety.
:lol: This could be interesting, will they take the plunge and go for a total upgrade or just a refit?
Rascal rocket will be relocated to Spaceport.
It just begs the question of why bother to concrete it in on the other side of the park in the first place :roll:
And finally the holiday park plans have been passed but dont know when the construction will take place
This is a new one on me, as both applications to the Amber Valley DC were withdrawn, I take it it went to the ODPM for approval, I've seen nothing on the websites of the local papers about it though. I'm taking this one with a pinch of salt at moment I'm afraid.
Sazzle

I'll have a heart attack if the plans for the holiday park have been passed - we (the residents) have not heard anything of the plans since they were withdrawn due to an influx of complaints. I'm sure we'd have heard something, even if was just another huge uproar.

Proposed Development 1

Planning application and PDF map of extension 2

I don't know if you can see on the map at all, but there is a large housing estate just at the bottom of the map, slightly to the east. I believe that the residents and myself would have something to say about this development, as to spoil the local environment in such a way would be disastrous.

I have just emailed the relevant section of AVDC to confirm whether or not the plans have been pased, and I await with baited breath for the reply.

----------------------------------------
With regards to the Pirate Ship - that thing is well over due for a replacement! It makes a most disturbing sound when in sequence, and it wobbles (for want of a better word) from side to side when swinging! Let's hope it's a Huss :)

Nightmare Niagara is in diar need of some attention, as I never finished my TR froma few weeks ago (must remember to do that), I never posted that at the bottom of the second drop, the channel has been *fixed* with white sealent! Made me laugh at any rate, even if I was both shocked and a little anxious. They've had some problems with poison algae in the past, so this is just another spanner in the works for them.

I can understand them removing Driving School, as it's not particularly worth of such a large part of SpacePort - not only does it not attract children, but it floods when it rains!

A new film for Motion Master? Nah, they'll dig one out of the box and hope no one notices! At least that's what happened when I was there - they were showing Secrets of the Lost Temple (the film that made them provide what little themeing there is in the queue line).

I'm making no comment on Rascal Rocket, as I find it such a poor marketing point, as well as a poor ride full-stop! Also the Go-karts.. Hmm have never been on them.

Here's to a better year for AA :)
Sazzle

Sorry for the double posting, but I found this on the local paper's website. It has been over a year snce the plans were first discussed with the residents of the local communities, and I can't say anything else has been made known to us:
Saying no to holiday village

A PETITION signed by more than 1,400 people against American Adventure proposals to build a holiday village in greenbelt land, has finally been presented to Amber Valley Borough Council.

Since March this year, the Shipley View Residents Association have been trying to contact the council to find someone who would accept the petition on their behalf.
Five weeks later, the group said they had not received a reply and so on May 18th they wrote to Mr Peter Carney, Chief Executive of Amber Valley Borough Council, but to date failed to receive a reply from him also.
Ron Sweetland, chairman of the Shipley View Residents Association said: "It is difficult to see why they have been so reticent in allowing us to do this.
"We are not a politically motivated group and neighbouring Erewash Borough Council have allowed similar requests with a number of groups in the past."
Ironically the group did receive a letter on June 4th from Carl Whysall, the Director of Borough Development, apologising for the late delay on replying to the request.
A spokesman for the council said: "People from the group had contacted planners for advice on when to hand the petition over. But the elections had started and the application itself wasn't due for committee, So we had offered to accept it at a later date."
But by the end of May, the group were getting frustrated and instead decided to contact their local MP Judy Mallaber, who agreed to accept the letter and petition on behalf of Amber Valley Borough Council.
And on Monday, June 9th, a group of people from the Shipley View Residents Association, the STOP action group who are against the theme park proposals and a number of Shipley Parish residents, turned out to see the petition being handed over on the steps of Ripley town hall.
Mr Sweetland added: "We are very grateful to Judy Mallaber for stepping into the breach at relatively short notice.
"We hope that our action will re-focus people's minds on what the American Adventure are proposing to do and just how much these people will lose if this proposal does get the go-ahead."

12 June 2003
I don't think they can ignore 1400 names, especially bearing in mind that their development is proposed for Green Belt land.
colin_p

I'll have a heart attack if the plans for the holiday park have been passed - we (the residents) have not heard anything of the plans since they were withdrawn due to an influx of complaints. I'm sure we'd have heard something, even if was just another huge uproar.
Thanks Sarah! I knew you would have heard something locally if they had been passed.

I believe the plans would have to have gone to a planning enquiry - this would have been attended by representitives of both sides of the argument and a decision made - this would certainly have been reported in the local press. Also, I have kept an eye on the 'Planning' magazine my dad receives (he's a retired town planner) and there has been no mention of the plan in their either.
With regards to the Pirate Ship - that thing is well over due for a replacement!
ALL of the original flat rides look as though they need replacing - Pirate Ship, Wagon Wheel, Tennessee Tenticles and the Balloon ride all look well past their best. I do hope AA get a new pirate ship, I was most impressed by the new one at Flamingo Land surrounded by water - that sets the standard for me now!
Here's to a better year for AA
Amen to that! :)
colin_p

Just found this whilst browsing the web:

http://www.postcardworld.co.uk/cards/En ... s/ship.jpg

It is listed as being Yorkshire (there is a Shipley near Bradford), but to me looks suspiciously like the bottom end of the lake at The American Adventure, which was once known as Shipley Reservoir. The bridge looks like the one over Paul's Arm, the smaller lake outside the park.

Any thoughts??
Sazzle

Wow, I'll eat my hat if that's not Shipley Country Park, Ilkeston!

I think you're right there colin - though the land to the left hand side of the photograph looks rather close to the bridge, and IIRC, the marquee now stands there and is a fair way back from the bridge.

Though, saying that, earth can be moved as easily as one two three!

Regarding the planning applications, I intend to visit the proposed areas for development and take some photographs, just so that you all know what exactly AA are trying to destroy. It may not look like much to you... But to the residents, it's a haven.
colin_p

Though, saying that, earth can be moved as easily as one two three!
There has been a lot of earth shifting at that end of the lake. Somewhere I have a photo taken in 1988 which shows no path along the bottom of the lake, just the railway line. The railway looks closer to the edge than it does now, I guess they have built up the land later on.

I think that photo is taken on what is now the path that runs outside the park fence, and is close to the point where the emergency gate is near to Spaceport - this is the western of the two bridges and the background perspective makes it look different. I'm 100% convinced it is Derbyshire though - there isn't a reservior of any size in Shipley, Yorks!

Any chance you could check locally - library etc to confirm it is Derbyshire?
Sazzle

Righty then, just to quash the recent rumours of the planned holiday village. I emailed the planning department iof the council covering the project (Amber Valley Borough Council) and this is what I have in reply:
To: 'angels_whisper@btinternet.com'
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 11:59 AM
Subject: FW: American Adventure

Dear Sarah

Rumour is a nuisance !

The recent proposals for American Adventure have been withdrawn and the file closed. Officers had prepared a recommendation of refusal for the application but the applicants withdrew it from the Planning Board agenda before Councillors could make a decision. In addition, an appeal against a parallel application has also been withdrawn.

Currently therefore there are no formal proposals for development at the theme park.

Hope this helps

Dave Brooks
Team Leader, Development Control
:D

And I'll forever be against the plans!
colin_p

Thanks for checking Sarah, it's good to see that the council actually replied to your query, at least it settles the matter for now.
And I'll forever be against the plans!
To be honest, as much as I want the park to succeed they were OTT, the area isn't really suited to a caravan park on that scale. Flamingo Land get away with it due to it being 'that' sort of area, for example Haven have three sites nearby and it is an established caravan destination. Derbyshire isn't, the Peak district might have the odd touring site but there are no big sites full of static vans.

I would like to see the park develop some sort of accommodation, but on a smaller scale using log cabins, possibly with a 'western' theme. The area identified in the recent plans for these was close to the old main entrance and above JCB world, this might have worked oK. The other possible site would be the area behind the log flume/RMT, where there is a field within the park boundary that was originally (Britannia Park plans) to be log cabin accommodation. This could use Lazy Lils as a nighttime venue, and offer theme weekends such as line dancing....

Before they do that though, they need new rides and refurbishment of the existing park to make it a credible destination.