The American Adventure

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Dara

I thought that 1998 map was very poor.
Ive always thought that the entrance should be where it is now due to the fact that the park doesnt go all the way round the lake. It was weird the way there was just a little bit to your left and everything else to your right when the old entrance was there. Its a much better location now and you dont have to walk up that hill from the car park like you used to.
Sazzle

With all the talk about this entrance, does anyone know where the emergency exit is now? The said new entrance used to be ambulance etc access, but now they have nothing around there. The small road next to the entrance is blocked by the marquee if I remember correctly, and surely they couldn't make an ambulance drive all the way from Silver City all the way around? Besides that, the path isn't wide enough in some parts :? (benches, rides, bins, people!).

I agree that the positioning is now fairly decent, though the decor leaves a lot to be desired!

Looking at images of the Disk'o model planned for FlamingoLand, I'd say AA could do with one. Just a thought, but maybe they could turn 'JCB world' into a thrill corner, as the height of rides wouldn't really be an issue, and it could be a real seller for them. *Sigh* I can dream!
haydn!

The path is actually wide enough all around the lake to take vehicles, except the stretch across the far side of the lake between the entrance and space port. The only obvious blockage being the Fort, but this is by passed by the service road across the back of the rapids ride.

I remember the path being wide enough because of a number of occasions, including witnessing the installation of the Skybounce which arrived on a fairly big truck, the transportation of numerous logs from the flume across the park to the maintenance area on the front of a JCB digger!, fire engines attending the fire at what was once the Blue Finn resturant, and a few ambulance incidents, mainly one involving a young child breaking a collar bone whilst riding the Octopus. (Now Blue finn food court). And regular trips made in the security van after hours.
Emmaly

On the subject of paths, they REALLY need resurfacing. On the path twixt Fort St Lawrence and SpacePort USA about one quarter of the path has been - looks stupid, and kids keep falling over, grazing their hands. They're also badly banked in places.
Dara

Yes it does look quite odd at the side of that path. Id like to see the whole thing re-surfaced.
One area where the park could improve dramatically is its music. At the moment, as far as I can see there is no themed music except for in the log flume tunnel and around the panning for gold area. I think that this themed music should be played in the log flume and runaway train stations too. I find it rather ruins silver city's theming (which I think is the best in the park) having load rap music played in the log flume station. They could also play all sorts of exciting music in spaceport. Instead its just silence in most areas. :evil:
Theres so much potential that isnt being met and its a great shame but unfortunately that seems to be the way with everything at AA at the moment :(
Sazzle

They used to play country and western in the station, but evidently some chav culture took over and decided to implement a 'street choon' theme.

I'd be happy with some form of Shania Twain CD in place, but I doubt they'd manage it.

RE: Potential
I think it was you, Dara, who argued the idea of the park not having potential. It was said by groups offering to take over AA that the lack of potential was the reason why they declined. I think what's needed is current management to do some work on the park, but a lot more than they are already. I.e. flat ride investments and much needed improvement on first impressions. By following a few simple measures of improvement, I believe they could increase their potential three-fold, and possibly secure a take-over bid.

Other than that, I'm at a loss as what to think about the current state of the park - it's just not worth visiting more than once a season any more!
Martin1

[quote=""Sarah-TTF""]
Looking at images of the Disk'o model planned for FlamingoLand, I'd say AA could do with one. [/quote]
i agree they are prety good and can i see pictures of the disc'o planed for flamingo land please please please lol
scargill

On Sunday I went to AA. It was a weekend, and a beautiful day.
I managed to get on each of the big rides 4 times and quite a few of the smaller ones, now that sounds excellent, except I'd prefer to queue more and actually go on more different rides, the only ride which I enjoyed more than the same of any other park is the flume.
Everything else is just mediocre. And the twin looper is just painful now
Dara

[quote=""Sarah-TTF""]
RE: Potential
I think it was you, Dara, who argued the idea of the park not having potential. [/quote]

It wasn't me who said that. In fact I said quite the opposite.
Sazzle

Oops, I missed out 'against'! My bad! 8-[

Try again:

I think it was you, Dara, who argued AGAINST the idea that the park has a lack of potential... :blah: ...

#-o

Sorry about that!
Dara

Now I understand.
Emmaly

[quote=""scargill""]On Sunday I went to AA. It was a weekend, and a beautiful day.
I managed to get on each of the big rides 4 times and quite a few of the smaller ones, now that sounds excellent, except I'd prefer to queue more and actually go on more different rides, the only ride which I enjoyed more than the same of any other park is the flume.
Everything else is just mediocre. And the twin looper is just painful now[/quote]
I hardly think the Twin Looper suffers from being painful - it is if you're really big, but for most it's fine!
scargill

I'm 6ft 3, maybe that was the problem. Actually got bruises on my shoulders from it; but I really thought that the ride just shook too much, my sister who is quite small thought the same too.
Dara

In general I'd say most people find the twin looper quite a smooth ride. However I have bashde my jaw on the restraint on a couple of occasions.
spark

I have read the whole of this topic (22 pages!!!)

I think that the managment are in a catch 22 situation. They dont want to invest in a big coaster incase it fails, but like wise if they only add a small ride then they would more than likely fail to increase visitor numbers
Dara

How long did it take you to read all 22 pages?
I think youre right about the major coasters. But I dont think management are scared to add small things. There have been a few small rides added recently- most of which have been failures but the management have expected them to be more succesful than they possibly could be.
spark

I read them throughout the day, I was very impressed that you could talk about this park for so long.

I love this little park, I have been going since 1988 when it was awesome. Although there has been a lack of investment over the last few years i do think the park is slowly regaining some pride.

The last few additions have been really aimed at children, This is probably because the attractions are cheaper to install. I think something like a top spin would be excellent in the park and although there is plenty of room I think they should aim at being a thrill park with loads of flat rides rather than coasters
lilg2004

Yeah,and who agrees that the attempt to make the twin looper fit in was awful.Oh yeah,a few centimetres of white stones makes it stand in all its glory :?
they need to take their fingers out and start thinking about what people want.
Not some daft trucks from JCB that u use to pick up some plastic ball pool balls.
I think that the flume was the best ride there.tis annoyin how everything else in the park cant be the same extremeness,but i have to say the rides do need a revamp and so do the workers attitudes.
I mean god it took them half an hour in the restaurant to get us a coke :evil:.
Martin1

attitude you gotta laugh at this we went to get a drink in 1 aa cafe and we asked fora fanta or sumthin and they started givings us about 20 quid change in bout 5ps and they could have given us it in a note i was wetting meself with laughter so funny.
Dara

Thats happened to me in the past at AA.
I disagree with what lilg2004 said about other rides in the park apart from the log flume not being extreme enough. Most people would agree that the missile is a very extreme ride and the runaway train is the best powered coaster Ive ever ridden.