Fuji-Q Highland

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Sazzle

Fuji-Q Highland - Moonsault Scramble.

I mentioned the coaster in the AT future topic because of the G comparison. I thought I'd make a topic for it, as it's so darn special :p

Original Post -
pushing G force any past 6.3 is pushing it a bit
http://www.rcdb.com/id1292.htm

Image One
Image Two

The ride was closed and dismantled to make way for Steel Dragon 2000, though the most common story arising from Moonsault was riders exiting feeling ill, or in some cases, unconcious!
--------------------------------
Yep, it was SBNO for numerous years as they couldn't decide what to do with the coaster that providing thrills and spills, but also the opportunity to pass out!

Anyone have any other info on it?
Anonymous

Look at that gorgeous lil pretzel loop! Gotta be the most impressive-looking inversion(s). Definitely an extra-special coaster...sometimes for the more..errr..intense of reasons - typical of Vekoma! Although I've heard going through the loop is quite smooth, even at 70-odd mph!

Definitely prefer Steel Dragon 2000 in that setting though. The passing out problem with Moosault is a bit of a problem with that number of Gs! :lol:

:twisted: :P
loop_the_loop

That would of been a great one to have a ride of. Looks pretty intense......espically comming out of the long hills straight into the loops!!
.........Chance favours the prepared mind..........
Phil

It was removed to make room for Dodonpa. Dodonpa was once the fastest full-circuit coaster (the fastest semi-circuit being Superman:GE at Magic Mountain), which looks the better ride to me.

I think the pretzel knot on the moonsault was a proto-type for vekoma, but as it caused some passengers to pass out, it was scrapped from other developments!

Looked a good ride anyway!
Sazzle

Didn't B&M install a pretzel knot on one of the Superman rides? Modified of course :tongue:

I read somewhere it was removed for Steel Dragon, granted it wasn't a particularly reliable site :|

I remember admiring Dodonpa for it's launch... And not a lot else! There's nothing else after the vertical is there except some bunny hops on the return?
evil cod

Steel Dragon 2000 was at Nagashima Spa Land
where as
Moonsault Scramble was as you rightly said at Fuji-Q Highland
where Dodonpa now is

so steel dragon 2000 couldnt of been the replacement
Phantom

[quote=""Sarah-TTF""]Didn't B&M install a pretzel knot on one of the Superman rides? Modified of course :tongue:
[/quote]

No you got it wrong that's a Pretzel Turn.

But i'm loathing over the support work not the track!
Gerstlauer Fanboy <3
evil cod

damn, yeah i didnt notice the supports those are amazing
Sazzle

Haha shows how much I take an interest in foreign activities! Ah well.
No you got it wrong that's a Pretzel Turn.
I said modified, you damn moose!! And you're wrong, RCDB says Pretzel Loop, HA! :tongue:
Superman Ultimate Flight 1
SM:UF 2

I have a picture of the supports of MS that shows them clearly:

Lovley stuff, some good engineering!
Satch

Looks pretty spectacular. If they just widened the dimensions on the pretzel loop/knot/turn/donkey it would remove some of the intensity. Id love to ride that, or similar
Adam

lol, *says donkey and laughts to self* 8-[

that dose look a damn good experience! :D :D
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
Phil

Yeah, apparantly the pretzels on the B&M flyers are pretty intense and offer an amazing experience (as can be expected in a flying position!). I think B&M made them wider so the G's were lowered? Ack, i'm no expert anyway! :lol:
jpecool

Hmm it is a nice coaster. And its more astounding when viewing it onride than it is off! :shock: :shock: I wish they had kept it!!! I have an onride video of it on DVD!! Its amazing

^^ And the G's arent as intense on a flyer through a pretzel loop, as it isnt taken at 70mph like it was on Moonsault!

Fright nights on the 28th. Im ready to scream!!!!
rip_saw

That is such a beautiful coaster. I love pretzel loop inversions and that just looks amazing.
Anonymous

damn that looks nice, so when it was replaced was it just melted down? or did it move to another park? Id imagine a few parks would like to add that beast.
Anonymous

I'd expect the forces on Moonsault Scramble were higher than on the B&M flyers due to the way you enter and exit the inversions.

On Moonsault Scramble's Pretzel Knot you are swept off to the left/right depending on which direction you are going, whereas on Superman, you enter and exit on a straight line.

The twisted entrance and exit would clearly be more forceful, because your body is being pulled out of the line in which it wants to travel by the track.

For example, if you look at this picture you can see that as you travel down the section of track on the right hand side, your body would like to continue in a straight line, instead it is whisked off to the left.

This dosen't happen on Superman, hence on Superman there is less force around the Pretzel Loop.

Of course, the speed that the inversions are taken at would also have an effect, because you would be pulled over to the side quicker. The riding position could also be significant to the amount of force.

This differance in entrance/exit could also explain the different names, Pretzel Knot for Moonsault Scramble and Pretzel Loop for Superman.
ASR

The ride pulled posative 6.2 G during the pretzel loop, that, along with the Tower of Terror at Gold Reef Park (SBNO) were the most intense coaster's around, Moonsault Scrabble was removed and melted down in 2000.

Keep in mind some of the travelling Schwarzkopf coaster's can match that kind of power, I'm not sure about them these day's - but they used to pull around 7 G on Olympia Looping Bahn (now Zonga I think) when they ran it with seven car's at OktoberFest!
Beaver Dude

I'm not sure about them these day's - but they used to pull around 7 G on Olympia Looping Bahn (now Zonga I think) when they ran it with seven car's at OktoberFest
I doubt it was quite that much as this would mean very bad blackouts although it would still be pretty intense. Plus as far as I'm aware Olympia Looping is still running it was Thriller that ended up in a SF's park as Zonga.
LiamC

Has anyone got any pictures of information on this ride?
It looks amazing and very scary!
Liam=)
P.s not sure if this has been asked before in another topic but htought id give it a blast!
P.P.s its basically a walkthrough of a haunted mental hospital that uses live actors and is thirty minutes long and the bigges one in the world spaning 500 meters and four stories i think :D !
Mankey

ive read a full review about it somewhere, record holder if im right, TPR went there but didn ride it :( well, when i go to japan, im riding it... that could just be my best way to settle my urge for asian horrors :D
Back from hibernation!