The Bear Grylls Adventure - Birmingham NEC

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

As you may have seen, Merlin have recently submitted a planning application to Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council for an activity centre type attraction to be located in The Pavilion which is a part of the Birmingham NEC. The planning documents state that it will include indoor skydiving and a high ropes course with zip lines, as well as a number of other indoor attractions.

The attraction is set to cost between £15 and £20 million, although there doesn't seem to be any time-frame given for its opening at this stage. The plans show off the fairly impressive exterior theming, which includes a large helicopter at its entrance, as well as giving an indication of the interior layout. The attraction will operate pre-booked slots with the main experience consisting of four 30-minute activities, with the option to then add-on additional activities afterwards.

Here's an article from the Birmingham Mail with a few further details.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

At today's Trading & Strategy Update, Merlin have announced their new midway brand, The Bear Grylls Adventure:
Partnering with the world-famous survival expert, international TV host and bestselling author, ‘The Bear Grylls Adventure’ will be targeted at the adventure-based experiences market, with the first attraction to open in Birmingham, UK, in 2018.
Merlin have worldwide exclusivity to roll out the midway attraction concept, with the initial exclusivity period lasting until 2026, but will be extended by 10 years for every 4 attractions they open.

It was stated that the Birmigham attraction will not be included in the MAP, however there will be "some benefits" available.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

This Express & Star article contains a few new (I think) visuals for the attraction.

lewis97
Admin
Admin

This article contains more details about the attraction's different challenges, along with the following video:

[/center]

It also confirms that it will cost from £25pp to take on the four 'Basecamp' challenges, which the website details as follows:

BREAK OUT - Escape Room
Use your brain and the skills of your team to crack codes, solve puzzles and find your way out of the room. If you never give up and believe in your crew, you will escape.

TARGETS Archery
Get briefed in the bunker on safety, mind-set and technique. You’ll need ultra-focus and precision for the targets ahead. Get a score to be proud of, but will you beat Bear?

SURVIVAL MAZE
Sharpen your mind and you’ll find the inner strength to overcome anything. Because when all goes dark, you will find your way out. When the walls are squeezing in, you will find your way through. When faced with challenge, you will keep your nerve.

ASSAULT COURSE
Balance, jump, climb and scramble your way through the assault course against the clock. Tackle high walls and tricky ropes. You won’t know your limits until you push yourself over them.

The website now also features further details of the four main activities that will be available - tickets to participate in these will also include the above Basecamp challenges. However, the actual pricing of the activities seems to not yet be confirmed.

Climbing - 60 minutes climbing and bouldering experience with the great summits of the world in a group of up to 18 people
Get harnessed up for an indoor climbing experience like no other.  Warm up by bouldering routes inspired by the giant formations of Fontainebleau (France) before taking on belay climbs which include the famous face of El Capitan (Yosemite, USA).

There are more than 20 different terrains and routes to choose from. They're on different levels to test your limits, whatever they may be.

Our expert team will be on hand to encourage and push you to conquer the summits.

iFLY - Freefall tunnel time equivalent to three, 12000ft skydives; The full experience will take around 90 minutes
Take the leap and get ready to feel the rush of freefall. You will be briefed by a highly skilled jump instructor and fully kitted out. In the tunnel you’ll experience intense wind speeds equivalent to the freefall time of more than three skydives.

Realise the adrenaline of flight in our indoor vertical wind tunnel where you will be thrown into free fall using leading wind speed technology and without the need for parachutes or planes. In our aircraft hangar pre-flight you’ll learn all the body positions and hand signals you need for freefall and your expert instructor will fly with you in the tunnel.

Dive - A 2 hour experience
Our pro dive team will help you gear up for scuba or snorkel. Underwater, your senses are altered, so stay focused and tune into your environment.

Our expert diving team will train you before your adventure, so no previous diving experience is necessary. With newly mastered diving techniques and knowledge you’ll be ready to explore the sea bed in our purpose built dive environment.

High Ropes - 60 minutes on the 5 storey High Ropes confidence course including a heli-zip wire from The Bear Grylls Adventure Chinook helicopter
Zip slide from the Chinook helicopter then choose your route. Use strength and balance to navigate high above the ground. Once you’re in there’s no looking back - and only the brave look down.

Inspired by the famous military Tarzan course, there are 36 different challenges over 5 storeys on our confidence high ropes course. Zig zag across rolling beams, climb ladder bridges and cross snake steps over 20 metres above the ground. Buckle up for our most thrilling challenge.
Justin

I'm actually quite impressed with the offer. I'd be tempted to try some of the activities out!
Dom

This actually looks pretty cool and the four activities you get for the £25 look really fun. I mean, who doesn't love a good assault course. I may have to go pop up and go experience this as the idea of zip lining from a helicopter screams to my inner child :lol
abigsmurf

It's closer to an extreme sports center than the usual "2 hour fast moving tour" that Merlin usually put into their attractions.I quite like it.

They will probably make a killing from corporate outings.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Tickets are now available to book for dates from Monday 1st October - seems it will actually be £20 (not £25) for the four Basecamp activities.

Standard and Premium Merlin Annual Passholders can get 25% off various ticket packages, while VIP Merlin Annual Passholders can get 50% off. Those with MAPs can also get the usual 20% discount in the restaurant - The Canteen - and in the retail shop.
DeadJack5

Yesterday, me and some others got to experience the basecamp and high ropes activity.

I must say to start off, the inside of the building is fantastically well themed and such a good place to be inside whilst waiting for the activities. There's a gift shop, foot outlet and many viewing platforms to see a lot of the activities taking place.

First off was the basecamp section where we experienced a survival maze, an escape room, assault course and archery. Each of these acitivies were extremely fun with a lot theming, high paced action whilst inside to keep you on your toes. My personal favourite was the archery, I would easily pay to just do the archery solo for the price as it was a lot of fun!

Next we experienced the high ropes, you start off zip lining out of a helicopter platform before climbing a 5 storey climbing structuon all within 60 minutes. Even though I didn't do the climbing structure fully, the activity as a whole was great, some great viewing from up on the zip line and on the strutuce. The others I was with (TT Member Jack) completed the sturture and said it was incredible while at times very intense!

Overall the package we had was great! Selling at £35 normal rate, I would say that it is worth the money you are paying to hire out the equipment and experience what you get to do. I would definitely like to go back in the future to try out the other big acitivies like diving and the climbing.

Swarm Chris

There is currently an offer for Merlin Passholders, with heavily discounted entry. Base Camp is available for £1, with individual additional activities available from £16. The offer isn't on for much longer, but it seems to have good date availability for future bookings.
Michelle

That seems like a good deal!
I'm pretty intrigued by this attraction, but because I heard reviews that it is fairly physically intense , and I am as unfit as people can be, I don't know if I will attempt it!
AltonOperator

That is a fantastic deal! I don't have a MAP but for those prices I highly recommend trying it. It's a great opportunity to try obscure, expensive activities such as indoor skydiving at a far more affordable price.
Thanks Jack