Fun Spot America Theme Parks

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
themealgang

http://www.screamscape.com/html/orlando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... potAmerica

Scroll down slightly, and something very exciting has been announced for International Drive and their "Fun Spot" attraction. The small leisure area has confirmed to be building an "L-shape" wooden roller coaster built by the legends that is Great Coasters International! The ride is expected to open by February 2013, along with another small roller coaster that design and manufacture is yet to be confirmed. I find it very exciting that Florida has landed itself another wooden roller coaster, and I think it will make a fabulous addition to International Drive. Ultimately, this large scale development for the site that also owns numerous Go kart tracks and a Ferris Wheel will transform the place into "Fun Spot USA".
Last edited by themealgang on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
BigAl

According to their blog:
People want roller-coasters also. But should we get a wooden coaster, or a steel coaster? People were quite vocally in their opinions with Steel the present favorite. Which would you want?
source: http://funspotattractions.blogspot.com/2011/04/surveys-surveys-surveys.html

So they asked people what they wanted. The majority said steel. They went against this and purchased a woodie from GCI. Good on them! :lol:
themealgang

They went AGAINST what the majority of the market wanted?! Now there is a brave decision for such a small park; I hope it works out okay for them!

Chris W

I think they are also getting a Steel coaster.
BigAl

Two coasters? Wow! :shock:

I think they'll be fine. American's love big roller coasters and wooden roller coasters. This park is situated in one of the most popular holiday destinations on the planet. I think it's wonderful that such a small park is installing something like this. Take a look at their existing ride line-up and you'll realise just how major this is for them! :)

I wonder what Merlin will think? A great big woodie for Europa ark next year, the most popular theme park Europe and now a tiny little amusement park in Florida is installing one too. Add to this the possibility of one (or possibly more) of the UK parks possibly installing a wooden coaster within the next few years and Merlin will suddenly be lagging behind.
themealgang

Chris wrote: I think they are also getting a Steel coaster.
They are- apparently that is on the "small scale". The main addition will be the woodie. How exciting though?! I think a woodie will make a perfect attraction for the centre of International Drive.

ponder

Well, more to the north of I-drive to be precise. Fun Spot is up at I-Ride stop 6!  ;) Still, a good location though, and I'm sure it'll be a successful development as the majority of it will be viewable from I-drive, on a section of road that almost every tourist will drive/ride past to/from Premium Outlets. Plus you'll view it from Universal Blvd. too, and Wet & Wild is walking distance.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
merm

The manager of fun spot gave a interview regarding this on "in the loop rebooted " last week, its a woodie from GCI, a steel coaster the company not known yet, 12 flats, 4 water rides and one of the go-kart tracks is becoming a 5 storey one park is to be trebled to 15 acres.
Let our dreams become your nightmares
Craig

Quite a few interesting images from a planning document have been posted at Park Rumors.  Quite surprised at the size of the expansion to be honest.  Definitely ups the place in terms of quality and pretty much triples in size in terms of land size!
BigAl

Bloody hell! I really wasn't expecting that!

So they're getting a new parking lot and garage, a 120ft Ferris wheel, the 65ft gci woodie, a 260ft Sky coaster, expansion of their go-karting area and then a new water park, a 220ft tall Windseeker, a 20ft family suspended coaster, 7 smaller thrill rides and finally a new Kids area?

Woah! :shock:
Sazzle

Okay guys so the woodie seems to have INCREASED in height and intensity, as the park have said finances permit this! Meet White Lightning!

Also, key points to note:
+ Rebranding of the park to Fun Spot America
+ Vekoma steel suspension coaster
+ 250 foot SkyCoaster as previously mentioned.

Press release as given to ThemeParkReview on 28/5/12:
Robb Alvey - TPR wrote: Dear Robb,

In the past you have been kind enough to help Fun Spot get the word out about a number of different events or new attractions we have. We wanted to thank you by providing you information about one of our new roller coasters before it becomes public. Initially, the wooden (with steel supports) coaster that GCI was building for us was going to be “family Friendly’ and unique to Central Florida because of it’s wooden ride. However, as finances have permitted, we can develop a more challenging and thrilling coaster experience than we first planned on.

Below are some details about the new coaster and attached are 4 drawings of what GCI is presently building. This stills fits in with the Master Plan approved in March by the City Of Orlando. This coaster will be part of Rebranding to Fun Spot America, with a Vekoma steel suspension coaster and a 250 foot SkyCoaster, plus other family themed rides. The Grand Reopening will take place in February or March of 2013. This wood coaster will be called “White Lighting” and on clear night, you will see Moon shine off the steel struts. White Lighting will run parallel to two streets; Grand National and Touchstone.

White Lightning Stats:
Length= 2000ft
Height= 75ft
Max Speed= 48mph
Max drop= 58degress (world record coined “Claire Curve”)
Max bank angle= 90degrees (world record coined “Ariel Dive”)
Air time moments= apprx 18
Ride length= apprx 1:15min
Rumored by International Coaster Experts to become “the BEST coaster ride in Central Florida, maybe the world!!!”
Opening Feb 2013
New layout designs here as given to TPR.

Ninety degree banked turnaround? Oh go on then!
Adam James

With this proposal being merely 10ft taller than the Big Dipper (which has next to no banking), this does look like Fun Spot are getting quite a bang for their buck. I've never been abroad before, but when I think of Florida, this place never comes to mind - hopefully this GCI can change that perception.

It's been said above, but that turnaround simply looks immense.  :D
Owen

Fun Spot Kissimmee have today announced a brand new wooden Gravity Group coaster. The coaster will reach a top height of 82 feet and hurtle along 2256 feet of track at 48.5mph! The ride also features a barrel roll and will be the first wooden coaster in its area to feature this element. Not to mention the 11 air time moments the attraction is set to feature.

The attraction is set to open in summer 2017, and theming is still being decided.

Here is a POV of the attraction. :)

Owen

Fun Spot Orlando have now announced that after its six uses at IAPPA, Freedom Flyer will be adopting VR permanently for 2017!

ponder

You see, that's exactly the sort of coaster that should use VR, as it's otherwise just a bog-standard, and fairly unexciting family coaster. Much better use of the tech than shoe-horning it into already successful rides as other parks have done...
Owen

It seems that Freedom Flyer's VR aspect didn't take long to implement at all - you can now experience Freedom Flyer with VR on selected seats at Fun Spot Orlando, with the option to ride normally being available as well! :D
theparklifekid

As much as I find VR cool, I kinda think its taking over too many coasters, sure it adds re-rideability but sometimes the visuals bur out. At least its VR Coaster whos developing it.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Liam.W

I agree with what you're saying TPLK, but only when it is put on thrill rides. However, VR is perfect for a tame ride such as Freedom Flyer because it doesn't give much thrill normally, so VR is a great way to boost the rides excitement levels!
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Ladyofthelake

Ahead of an advert which is due to be screened during tonight's Superbowl, the Orlando Sentinel are reporting that Fun Spot Orlando's new wooden coaster is to be called: Mine Blower.

The ride is being described as a 'one-of-a-kind for America' and posters reportedly show rocket-shaped dynamite marked 'Acme' attached to the lead car. The coaster is also set to have it's own mascot in the shape of a cartoon dog named 'Nitro'. The project is costing $6 million to construct.

Personally I'm not sure what to make of this name, it seems rather an odd name for a coaster. However, as with any new addition, I shall wait and see how it fits with the overall theme of the ride :)
Chris
Admin
Admin

Yeah, bit of an odd name - but makes sense if they are simulating a mine blowing up each time.. lol