SeaWorld San Antonio

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
AstroDan

Following on from the Water Coaster incarnations of 'Journey to Atlantis' in Florida and California, SeaWorld Texas is now to open its very own take on the ride, but this time it won't be a Mack Water Coaster. Instead, it's planned to be a Mack Super Splash with exactly the same layout as Atlantica SuperSplash at Europa Park which can be seen here: http://www.rcdb.com/id2928.htm. The ride features a 100' lift hill, before a turntable turns the craft round. Following this the craft will plunge down through a reverse camelback, before rising again to a 2nd turntable. Then comes a 100' drop, through a bunny hop and down into the splash before a gentle sail round back into the station.

In all fairness, I can safely say Atlantica is a reasonable, but not mind-blowing ride - it is the theming that makes the ride, so, if SeaWorld do their's properly, I am sure it will be a worthy addition.

Such developments of new Water Rides are of particular relevance these days, with all the speculation on a new Water Ride of some description to be opening at Alton Towers come 2008 - it is interesting to see what other parks are doing with their Water Rides at present. Other new Water Rides of interest other than Atlantica and Journey to Atlantis include Efteling's new-for-2007 Kumbak-made ride plus the four Mack Water Coasters currently in service. All of these rides are interesting and gives great scope to any such ride at Alton Towers.

The new ride is due for completion come May 2007, and its page is now up here:

http://www.rcdb.com/id3635.htm

http://www.rcdb.com/document218.htm (press release)

:D
MostMagicalCat

sounds great astro d, its a shame that projects of such magniude are rarly attempted in the uk. Am i right in thinking the closest thing on these shores is vallhala.

Would be nice to see such a feat in our park, but sadly cant see that :cry:

p.s is that the l.a seaworld?
[
AstroDan

The ride is due for opening next month, and theming is well underway. It is, as presumed, a direct replica of Atlantica Super Splash at Europa-Park:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_texas.htm
Nick

Ugh what is it with Six Flags and always using clones. One of the most well known themepark chains and they can't be bothered to invest some proper money into a decent NEW attraction. I custom Mack water coaster would have been much more impressive instead of saving money and just buying an existing product
Chris1

[quote=""Nick""]Ugh what is it with Six Flags and always using clones. One of the most well known themepark chains and they can't be bothered to invest some proper money into a decent NEW attraction. I custom Mack water coaster would have been much more impressive instead of saving money and just buying an existing product[/quote]

Six Flags don't own Sea World do they........?! :?

*Prepares to be corrected*
Nick

[quote=""Chrïs""][quote=""Nick""]Ugh what is it with Six Flags and always using clones. One of the most well known themepark chains and they can't be bothered to invest some proper money into a decent NEW attraction. I custom Mack water coaster would have been much more impressive instead of saving money and just buying an existing product[/quote]

Six Flags don't own Sea World do they........?! :?

*Prepares to be corrected*[/quote]

Lol, for some reason I was thinking of Six Flags Texas and not Seaworld, I have no idea why though :lol:

Anyway...my thought on this clone still stands anyway :roll:

Seems as though there may be a few additions to this one though, using the same king of things as found on SheiKra and Griffon for the water effects in the splash zone, the rear of the Atlantis boats seem to have these too...

Images from Screamscape
LiamC

Is it only me, or does that last image look edited?
Nick

In what way? The 2 water jets at the rear of the boat look a bit shadowy as they are under the cover of that themes building by the looks of it
iriderides101

Doesn't look aswell themed as versions in california and florids,which is a shame because they are themed realy well.
Thomas

Hmm im in two minds about this, yes nice ride & all but nothing compared to the originals, in fact looks very poor in contrast! Just some little themeing compared the whole lot found in Florida. Such shame

Thomas
Danzaw*nk

Judging by those photos it's looks terrible!

The main splash should be indoors, end of. Made an amazing experience in Florida last year. They really have messed up there!

Im talking theming wise btw :)

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
AstroDan

Yeah, it looks no Journey to Atlantis. In all honesty, Posiedon is a better ride than Atlantica. So I don't know why they'd go for the Super Splash...

:?
Maelstrom

The other two parks most probably generate more income and have higher attednace levels, where if wouldn't be cost effective to build a version like they have at Orlando as they are not going to build something they can't get a return on in investment.

I don't see the problem with clones as 99.9% of visitors are not enthusiasts who certainly would not know tthat here this was a copy of an attraction in Germany, in fact most wouldn't even know if a park in the next state had one.

The same as a park in the uk adding a Batman the ride clone (enthusiasts might moan saying there are copies all over the world) but well 99.9% of visitors would't have a clue it was clone and most wouldn't care. (slightly different if say if DMP had a copy of Rita) but when a clone is unique to that country or state i don't hink it matrers, plus for most parks on tight budgets means they get more for there money than they would with a custom designed ride
Danzaw*nk

If they're gonna build a 3rd of two other fantastic rides then keep the trend looking good because it certainly doesn't look good!

I disagree though, it is surprising how many people know of rides/clones at other theme parks. I hear of it alot.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Thomas

But if there cloning a ride then why not clone one of the original Atlantis? I'm sure it would be cheaper then like you say when they clone rides

Thomas
AstroDan

Don't faulter though, Atlantica is a good ride. And bare in mind Atlantica is in a park that ALSO has a very good Water Coaster in Poseidon. SeaWorld won't have another Water Coaster, so I am sure guests will lap it up.

:)
MakoMania

A new SeaWorld thread, this time for San Antonio, Texas :D

The park's new attraction for 2016, Discovery Point, is opening in May and I'm very excited about it! Recently, construction updates have been posted to the @SeaWorldTexas twitter account:

https://mobile.twitter.com/seaworldtexas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, it is pretty much confirmed (99.9% certain) that the park will be recieving a SeaWorld Rescue themed launch coaster in 2017 and then the confirmed new Orca Encounter attraction in 2018.

In 2017, the park will also be the subject of a historic event in the form of the final birth of an Orca at any SeaWorld park.

However I'm guessing that for some reason the main focus on this forum will be the new 2017 launch coaster :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
MakoMania

Another new picture of Discovery Point progress posted to the @SeaWorldTexas twitter page showing how stunning the new area looks. I look forward to its opening in just over a month and (hopefully) experiencing it in 2017. As well as the new Dolphin habitat and swim experience, the park's shark and coral reef attraction will be refurbished and renamed to Explorer's Reef.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MakoMania

Discovery Point update: picture of the underwater viewing area. WOW!

MakoMania

Discovery Point opens Saturday May 21st!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bizj ... -orange-gb#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also the first picture of a dolphin in the new habitat!

It certainly looks to be a fantastic attraction investment for SeaWorld San Antonio. The cost of Discovery Point is believed to be around $50 million.