SeaWorld San Antonio

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
MakoMania

Inside the Magic has revealed the new lineup of attractions and events coming to SeaWorld San Antonio in 2017!

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/09/s ... ents-2018/

Highlights include Taumata Racer: a new family thrill slide at Aquatica San Antonio, the Texas debut of Electric Ocean and a new daily Sesame Street float parade.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
MakoMania

*2018, bit of a late correction!
MakoMania

No confirmation yet but I'm hearing that Beluga Whale Crissy's calf (born in September) is male and has been named Innick!

Also, the park have confirmed that marine scientist and artist Dr Guy Harvey will be opening the park for the 2018 season with a 2 day event on February 24 & 25.
Chris
Admin
Admin

Ahh he did Mako's beautiful mural.
MakoMania

Chris wrote:Ahh he did Mako's beautiful mural.
Yes! It's goregeous isn't it? He has also done a mural on the side of Great White at SWSA, just need one at SWSD now :P
MakoMania

Absolutely horrible news out of SeaWorld San Antonio:

https://amp.click2houston.com/news/chil ... eports-say
JC13

Oh no... that’s awful. My thoughts are with the family
abigsmurf

Worst fear as a driver, horrible for everyone involved. 
MakoMania

Construction has begun on a large new project at the park for 2020 in the area between Orca Stadium & the Rio Loco rapids ride. Just opposite the new Turtle Reef expansion opening next month.

It is rumoured to be a large wooden coaster from GCI. We will see!

Original source: https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters ... nio_today/

Aquatica San Antonio recently opened up their new multi drop slide attraction Ihu's Breakaway Falls as well.

As I alluded to, Turtle Reef is due to open next month. The attraction includes a new Sea Turtle habitat as well as two new family thrill flat rides: Sea Swinger and Riptide Rescue!
Chris
Admin
Admin

Exciting! Certainly a ride type Texas is short of.
MakoMania

Turtle Reef, Riptide Rescue and Sea Swinger are now open!

From PR Newswire:

"Ocean pollution, oil spills and habitat degradation are some of the biggest challenges facing sea turtles, and Turtle Reef provides an immersive opportunity for guests to learn how they can help the species," said SeaWorld and Aquatica San Antonio park president Carl Lum. "We are excited to showcase a species that has never been featured before at SeaWorld San Antonio, while educating guests about our mission to protect animals and habitats worldwide."

Here's a great overview video of the new expansion: https://youtu.be/GZ0ZGgbVDFU
MakoMania

The new wooden coaster is rising quickly and has been topped off already! It uses a steel frame much like InvadR at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, although this ride is already far taller than InvadR. The current rumoured name is "Abyss".

https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters ... erm=c5xxul
abigsmurf

It's utterly insane to me (in a good way) that you've wooden coasters tall enough to dominate the skyline, Pepsi Max style.
Ladyofthelake

Earlier this week, SeaWorld San Antonio announced that they are building a brand new wooden coaster, set to open in Spring 2020.

Texas Stingray will feature a 100ft drop, 3, 379ft of track and travel at 55mph, making it the tallest, longest, and fastest wooden coaster in Texas. It looks like the ride is being manufactured by GCI (the same company responsible for Wicker Man at Alton Towers and InvadR at Busch Gardens Wiliamsburg). The park has released a full POV, which has been uploaded to YouTube by Midway Mayhem:

It certainly looks to be an interesting ride, and not one I would have expected a SeaWorld park to install! It's very unlikely I'll be able to get to San Antonio to experience this one, but if for any reason I do get the chance it's certainly a ride I'd want to give a try.
Ladyofthelake

GCI has unveiled the trains for Texas Stingray during the first day of IAAPA.

Image credit to @Coaster101 on Twitter

I do kind of like this train design for Texas Stingray, it just seems to fit right with the ride type and park. In what would seem to be a light hearted dig at RMC and the Texan Six Flags parks, Clair Hain from GCI said he was "Excited to bring a 'real' wooden coaster to Texas"!