Warwick Castle

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
ThrillJunkie

Merlin have announced details of their Halloween event at Warwick Castle this year.

Attractions include:

A brand new walk through attraction called "The Revenge of Henry Black"
When his wife was murdered Henry sought revenge against her killers. 100 years later 6 beheaded bodies have been found in the castle grounds. Has Henry returned for revenge?
A new show called "The Dueling Dead"
Warwick Castle's finest swordsmen take to the Central Courtyard arena in a dazzling show of authentic Georgian Swordsmanship.
An Indoor attraction called "séance"
Venture deep into the Castle and witness a séance that may unleash ghosts from the castle’s past, enter if you dare!
Plus returning this year there's "Paranormal Investigation", "The Haunted Hollows" and the even scarier "Castle Dungeons"

Will anybody be visiting this year? I visited last year and was extremely impressed with the theming around the castle and the Halloween attractions.
ThrillJunkieUK
evenstar120

Hi all

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct or not? It looks like Warwick Castle are now charging disabled visitors for parking? I am taking two disabled people on a visit on August 25th and have a premium Merlin pass so I wouldn't need to pay for standard parking but unfortunately, the two people I am taking probably won't manage long walks back and forth from the car park off Stratford Road. It looks like my only alternative is to fork out £10 for parking next to admissions. I think that to charge disabled people for parking is absolutely disgusting, given that both people have blue badges. Can anyone shed any light on this?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Unfortunately it seems that you are correct, going by the following which can be found on the Warwick Castle website.
There are a limited number of disabled parking bays available on a first come first served basis, subject to availability, in our both Stratford Road and Stables car parks. Parking charges apply for disabled parking. Please ensure a Blue Badge is clearly displayed at all times.
evenstar120

Absolutely disgusting IMO. Is there no avenue that is seen as off limits for financial exploitation. Just another money making scheme for Wallet Castle. Couldn't they at least have a concessionary parking rate for the disabled instead of trying to gouge another £10 out of me on top of over inflated ticket prices.
thedman31

Hi all

Has anyone been at Halloween? What did you you think?
ThrillJunkie

Hi thedman31,

Yes I have visited Warwick Castle for their Halloween event for the last 2 years and plan to return again this year. Personally I think it's a great event with something for everyone :D

For the last two years they have run an event called "The Haunted Castle" over the Halloween period. The opening times are extended to 9pm during this event and the whole castle is themed and lit up at night creating a great Halloween atmosphere. During this event the castle have also operated a few additional attractions which have included:

The Haunted Hollows - An outdoor family friendly themed walk through attraction with a few actors along the way. If your with kid's this is great too do during the day but if you're with older kid's or adults it's great fun to do after dark.

The Castle Dungeons (Paid attraction) - During this event they apparently step up the scare factor after dark. Although I hadn't noticed any changes to the normal day to day show.

Then there's the main attraction. It changes every year for example back in 2012 it was called "The Seance of Mary Black" but there is usually a walk through attraction that takes place inside the main castle that is aimed at adults and is usually pretty intense. In fact "The Seance of Mary Black" is still one of my favorite Halloween attractions of all time (and I visit all the main theme parks during the Halloween period).

And there are also many other Halloween themed activity's such as live shows, The fireball Trebuchet, Themed Actors, Record breaking attempts and Eagle displays.

Although the castle haven't officially released details of the 2014 event the attractions calender is showing 9pm close between 25/10/14 until 02/11/14 so this would indicate something is in the pipeline.

If you have any other questions about this event let me know :D
ThrillJunkieUK
thedman31

Thanks, really appreciate it. I remember going as a child and liking it, so with a bit of Merlin magic it ought to be brilliant.

I wonder if they will make an "extreme" version of the Haunted Hollow for an hour or so before closing. That would be epic.
Momoffour

It also says on the website you can drop people near admissions and then go and park in standard parking. Perhaps you could do that
Lee

I'm not quite sure I understand the issue? I'm presuming it operates the same as Alton Towers in that unless you have a MAP, then disabled bays are charged the same rate as standard. If you wish to park in a premium space then you pay for the premium service.

This way no one is discriminated against. Unless I'm misunderstanding the parking arrangements?
Michelle

I've never had cause to consider it in depth previously but I was under the impression that at Towers the disabled parking is charged at the same rate as standard parking (£6) and it is in the same car park as the premium parking which is charged at £16, therefore meaning that people displaying the blue badge in effect get reduced rate premium parking.

If that's the case then it doesn't seem unreasonable for a similar system to apply at Warwick, if the premium parking is charged at £10, disabled could be charged at £6(if that's the standard car charge) I find it slightly odd that this isn't the case.

It's an interesting (slightly off topic) thought however that if the OP is a premium pass holder who would get the £6 ordinary parking free at towers, is it reasonable to charge them for disabled parking when it would be the same cost anyway?
Lee

Towers don't charge them. If the OP is disabled pass holder, they'll be allowed to park in the disabled bays for free as if it was a standard parking space as that's included in the pass. :)
ThrillJunkie

In the past the Haunted Hollow has remained family friendly thought the day and evening although it is much better in the dark. Personally I'd love to see another attraction for us adults but I don't think extreme Haunted Hollow would work.
ThrillJunkieUK
ThrillJunkie

Warwick Castle has started releasing some details about this years "Haunted Castle" event.

Looks like most of last years attractions will be returning including The Castle Dungeon, The Witches Tower, The Haunted Hollows, Paranormal Investigation and the Séance.

The main Halloween attraction this year will be called "Blackout!" and will continue the theme of Mary Black. The official description of this years attracts states:
The spirits of the Mary and Henry Black are now loose in the house which has been closed off and boarded since last year’s fire. In an attempt to rid the castle of these evil sprits a team of paranormal investigators have been called in to track down Mary and Henry and close the spiritual portal which has been left open for two years. But where are they? Lurking in the shadows? Hiding in the pictures or peering out of the mirrors? Are you brave enough to join the team and bear witness to the castles ultimate battle between good and evil?
Full event details can be found here:
https://www.warwick-castle.com/explore/ ... astle.aspx
ThrillJunkieUK
jon18uk

We went back in 2012 and it was great. Haunted Hollow during the day was just fun but the "adult" walkthrough haunted attraction in the castle was very very well done.
Apparently last year they added a haunted seance in the gaol dungeon too which got good reviews.
ThrillJunkie

jon18uk wrote:We went back in 2012 and it was great. Haunted Hollow during the day was just fun but the "adult" walkthrough haunted attraction in the castle was very very well done.
Apparently last year they added a haunted seance in the gaol dungeon too which got good reviews.
I can confirm the Gaol Dungeon was very good. A bit short but very clever. Still not quite sure how they done it (even went back this summer to try and figure it out).
ThrillJunkieUK
Dom

New for 2016 at Warwick Castle is the Horrible Histories Maze. The maze will consist of 6 themed areas within the maze,

Measley Middle Ages
Fear and curses lurk around every corner as you try to avoid persecution and execution by proving you are not a member of the coven!

Stormin' Normans
Join the ranks in the Norman army and learn about castle defences and the mighty siege machines used at Warwick Castle

Frightful First World War
Follow the orders from HQ to discover the history hidden away within the network of tunnels, nets and trenches and can you spot the spy?

Terrifying Tudors
Meet the Tudors and adhere to their crazy laws or you could find yourself in the stocks… or even headless!

Vicious Vikings
The Viking longboat has sunk! Only the figure head and mast is still above the water. Pass through the wall of water and follow the path to make it to the longboat and discover the Viking Loot!

Slimy Stuarts
These barrels are ready to blow! Follow the fuse through the barrel maze to find the gunpowder before it EXPLODES!

Meet the Gunpowder plot conspirators and listen to the talking tubes of treason!

The maze is included in the ticket and will include uneven floors, special effects, water and theatrical smoke.

More details can be found Here
Justin

This sounds really good!
Michelle

I really can't imagine this at all, but I'm glad they're getting a new attraction. I wonder if this is the only Horrible Histories aspect that the castle will have this summer.
Justin

I suppose they will have some kind of tunnels between each section?

I've just looked at the link Dom provided and it will be suitable for all age groups, including those carrying babies in their arms. It seems you will also be given a 'Passport to collect stamps along the way' and once the card is complete, you can claim an exclusive Pop Badge!
MrsT2015

My 10 year old saw this over my shoulder the other day when i was looking at all the stuff we are going to do this year once we have got our passes. He got all excited and said mum that will be the best day ever. Cant wait now its 27 days till we pick them up from AT not that I'm counting or anything lol.