Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Don't_Look_Down

A launch coaster could be a possible investment for the future, but the most we're looking at is a Vekoma booster bike system. Drayton Manor is a very modest park, and they certainly don't have the budget for a Mack launched coaster.

If recent installations are anything to go by, then people could be waiting a long time for a new thrill ride.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
A

Have to disagree with the people who say that they can't compete on the thrill market. If they were to exploit the fact that alton is now £46 on the gate by making drayton MUCH cheaper than alton (Something along the lines of £25 on the gate and £20 online), I think that they could begin to attract the thrill seekers. To be honest I think now is the right time for drayton to try and move into the thrill market because they have a well established family market that is starting to generate them a profit, which could be used to extend their market further to thrill seekers. There are however various ways of doing this I think:

-Installing an intamin, mack, gerstlauer of Vekoma launched coaster with some good theming and a whole lot of hype
-Installing an off the shelf eurofighter or el loco and investing in another decent flat ride
-Installing an SLC (yes I know that's controversial but I believe that drayton is one of the few parks that could benefit from an SLC) with lots of theming
-Installing family thrill rides for the bigger kids such as a Maurer and sohne spinning coaster or a gerstlaur bobsled coaster. In light of what has been said on this topic this is probably the most likely scenario.

I think the key to continuing draytons success is to take one of these four options and put it into practice, but I also think it will only work if they undercut alton with their gate prices, which wouldn't be a bad thing as a bit of competition is a good thing to try and make alton work harder with their rides. And one last thing, since drayton is a small park I would be quite happy to see them filling the park with off the shelf coasters, like flamingo land, to boost profits because the general public will probably not recognise the fact that they are off the shelf coasters. :)

I would also like to take this time to say I hope they get rid of the ball crushing section of apocalypse, that thing is lethal.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
DeanGaryCox

If you notice, by looking on google maps, or in person there is a pretty large area next to the Buffalo Coaster, Apocalypse and the lake... i'm guessing this is to be the location of whatever new attractions they will be getting.

I personally would love to see an Intamin ZacSpin as there isn't one yet in the UK, and been on the small version at Terra Mitica in Spain and loved it, and is that sort of unique ride that would fit perfectly at drayton manor, as well as the fact it has a small footprint which is ideal, and would leave space for another family/thrill flat or two in the future :)

The Buffalo Coaster could probably do with being replaced by an up to date family powered coaster with possibly a slightly longer layout and a bit more height.
Image 2014
TheDarkStar

If a launched coaster is made i believe it would most likely be like juvelen in the netherlands.
TomL

I was thinking they should develop the Ben10 theme into either an Intamin Zac Spin or Maurer Sohne Spinner... I think the spinner would benefit them more along with developing the surrounding area like they have with Thomasland... Maybe get Sonic after towers have had enough?!
A

TheDarkStar wrote: If a launched coaster is made i believe it would most likely be like juvelen in the netherlands.
I would be quite happy if they were to get one like juvelen, but I doubt if drayton's budget would cover it
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Danny

Each time I see this topic, I become really irritated by the title of it.

They're far from ideas, especially as they finally seem to have established the path they want to go down with regards to being family friendly. Judging by the comments I've heard from people who have visited this season, the place has massively improved in the catering and presentation fronts compared to previous years. I'm yet to visit this year, but I can tell I'll be impressed by the slight changes.

It's not all about coasters and infact Drayton have done well without adding a white knuckle one for some time now. A third one would complete their thrill package in my views, but I'd actually rather have G Farce knocked down and something compact yet thrilling put over it before a third coaster is introduced. [/hoping for wood]
SEALIFE

When I had my customer service talk at the park a few years back all of what I have said have pretty much happened.

The hotel was built and the park want to add a water park eventually.
The Haunting was ment to be re-themed to Scooby Doo but for whatever reason fell through.
Cartoon Network Street is expanding. Eventually.

And last but not least the park mentioned that they want to eventually get rid of the zoo but that was on there long term development plan.
Themeparksandy1981

Drayton Manor are doing better now then they ever done. They looked how the chav's were giving the park a bad name so after adding G Force they added the Drunken Barrels,Pirate Ship,Thomasland,Ben 10 and the 4D cinema. They also built the hotel,Opened the grill inn and upgraded all but there fish and chip shop.

Thomasland has been the best investment they ever done. I hear there Christmas event is nearly always sold out. To me to park has a good range of rides for all ages.

They want to make Thomasland bigger and there's rumours that the Pirate Adventure is gonna be rethemed into a tour round Sodar. I can see the restaurant next door rethemed to suit as that's what Thomasland lacks is a restaurant. They also want to built behind Thomasland where the farm area is now. I think it shows with them adding a monorail that they see Thomasland and cartoon network as the future of Drayton Manor.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Themeparksandy1981

Tom (G force) had a model of G force on Drayton Manor Plus with added future track layout for the ride.
iBacon

I think a waterpark would be great at Drayton Manor  :D
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
themealgang

Drayton is trying to move out of the 'thrill ride' territory now it would appear. Thomas Land has set the bar high as a 'family' theme park. Their last thrill ride was in 2005 with G Force (which we all know the enthusiasts have their opinions on), but their market is changing. Their new delayed coaster is apparently being build by Vekoma ( has a unique element to it, apparently) but will be family orientated.

We haven't seen a thrill ride from Drayton for sometime and it doesn't look like we are going to get one in the near future either. It's a shame as a woodie of mega-lite would suit their market superbly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Themeparksandy1981

I doubt with the villages around Drayton Manor they would get permission to build a wooden coaster. The park even say no loud screaming or you be kicked out the park as it was the screaming on there enterprise that got it removed in the first place.
Don't_Look_Down

themealgang wrote: heir new delayed coaster is apparently being build by Vekoma ( has a unique element to it, apparently) but will be family orientated.
Very interesting! Where did you find this information out?
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
rolicoli8

DeanGaryCox wrote: well there have been many rumours over the past years about drayton manor wanting to install a woodie and launch coaster, then heard they were keeping an eye on blue fire at europa park, a mack launch coaster... and seen a behind the scenes tour video from some people at drayton manor this year with a worker/manager discussing the plans for next year and that it would be a launch coaster? am i the only one that has heard about this?
I've seen that! The video that begins with "OOH, you got the screen what turns sideways!" Although! If its a mack launched coaster, over the lake, will that mean 'bye bye buffalo', one of the best rides there in my opinion. But I seem to here something that sounded like "Where the chip shop is" so hopefully hmm...
Themeparksandy1981

Drayton manor ain't out of ideas and there got planning permission to build a second hotel

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/lo ... e=Comments

It also said they submitted a 5 year plan to Lichfield council.
Thorpe Towers 13

Went last week with my GF and I liked what they had done tbh. Alot of development coming, something about a dream castle where excalibur used to be? Anyone know anything? At end of the day, as long as Apocalypse and the other big rides are still there, its all good
hands in the air and scream!
Themeparksandy1981

That castle and the final scene of the old Excalibur ride is used at there Christmas event and is called the knight before Christmas.
Gorrock

Ok, so I'm planning a trip to Drayton this season. I was wondering, what's the least busy day on a weekend? I don't mind if it's cold ;)
Thanks - Gorr
''To many, no doubt, he will seem somewhat blatant and bumptious, but we prefer to regard him as being simply British'' - Oscar Wilde

Dara

If you want a weekend, then I would say early October will be a bit quieter than September. Like any UK theme park Sundays tend to be less busy than Saturdays. However, it al depends on the weather. You say you don't mind being cold, but go onn a rainy day and the park will be dead.