Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
jackgcse

Fair point! However we will wait and see, because I feel there will be a divide between those who want a major, big and intense coaster where all money is put into it. Whereas there are others, that would prefer smaller coasters but with more variety! However I am yet to return to the (in my opinion) ailing Theme Park! You never know, the coaster may interest me!
coastermaster

i would like to see another in thomas land to be honest a proper family thrill like a proper thrill coaster starter
JooshBall

jackgcse wrote: Looks as pointless as Furius Baco, in terms of track layout!
Wow, they are really pushing the limits of ride technology! ;) I would rather see another ride to the same extremes as G-Force!
Don't forget Shockwave was the first stand-up coaster in the UK, and that it was opened in 1994 by B&M (Shockwave was their first stand-up coaster).

G-Force was actually supposed to be twice the length, and the first loop (the initial chain-lift loop) was double the height. However, due to planning permission, and the need for a new ride - they decided to drop the ride down a level in order to bring the build date (and therefore the opening date) forward. There are many rumours, and some are very close, about a new ride, or so, coming in for the next season (or maybe a little later).
jackgcse wrote: Fair point! However we will wait and see, because I feel there will be a divide between those who want a major, big and intense coaster where all money is put into it. Whereas there are others, that would prefer smaller coasters but with more variety! However I am yet to return to the (in my opinion) ailing Theme Park! You never know, the coaster may interest me!
Rumours have been flying around us staff at Drayton Manor about the coming of a new, major, roller coaster - especially for those thrill seekers - that is supposed to be greater than all the rides in the park at the current moment. Watch this space!
Last edited by JooshBall on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's just me, Josh.
JooshBall

A5H wrote: What happened to the planned "Thrill Ride" replacing the Black Revolver?  :?
This will still be coming! Planning permission has been submitted and it is scheduled to be with us in a couple of seasons. Contrary to popular belief - a lot of investment is going into Drayton Manor, and new rides and attractions - along with other fun for all things, are being planned. Staff have been made aware that a new attraction is to be placed in the next coming seasons where Black Revolver once stood (behind G-Force).

That is all I can say! Keep your eye out.
It's just me, Josh.
PeteB

It's fantastic that Drayton are making such investments in their park, its about time Merlin had some competition.
coastermaster

can anyone get us a pic of draytonmanor in the past years as there is not many
WillXav

JooshBall wrote:
A5H wrote: What happened to the planned "Thrill Ride" replacing the Black Revolver?  :?
This will still be coming! Planning permission has been submitted and it is scheduled to be with us in a couple of seasons. Contrary to popular belief - a lot of investment is going into Drayton Manor, and new rides and attractions - along with other fun for all things, are being planned. Staff have been made aware that a new attraction is to be placed in the next coming seasons where Black Revolver once stood (behind G-Force).

That is all I can say! Keep your eye out.
So, the park is getting two new rides.

One launched rollercoaster for 2013 and a new thrill ride for where the Black Revolver (ship) used to be/is. It's good thing to know the park is getting investment because Chessington WoA hasn't got any investment in ages and it's just nice to know a family-run park makes me more happier than a park owned by the 2nd biggest theme park and leisure operation in the world.

Merlin, always doing the least with my Chessie.
coastermaster

the launch coaster was planned for this year closed 2012 2013 but it has been kept back
jb19852

JooshBall wrote:
jackgcse wrote: Looks as pointless as Furius Baco, in terms of track layout!
Wow, they are really pushing the limits of ride technology! ;) I would rather see another ride to the same extremes as G-Force!
Don't forget Shockwave was the first stand-up coaster in the UK, and that it was opened in 1994 by B&M (Shockwave was their first stand-up coaster).

G-Force was actually supposed to be twice the length, and the first loop (the initial chain-lift loop) was double the height. However, due to planning permission, and the need for a new ride - they decided to drop the ride down a level in order to bring the build date (and therefore the opening date) forward. There are many rumours, and some are very close, about a new ride, or so, coming in for the next season (or maybe a little later).
jackgcse wrote: Fair point! However we will wait and see, because I feel there will be a divide between those who want a major, big and intense coaster where all money is put into it. Whereas there are others, that would prefer smaller coasters but with more variety! However I am yet to return to the (in my opinion) ailing Theme Park! You never know, the coaster may interest me!
Rumours have been flying around us staff at Drayton Manor about the coming of a new, major, roller coaster - especially for those thrill seekers - that is supposed to be greater than all the rides in the park at the current moment. Watch this space!
Good to hear this, I find Drayton a rather enjoyable park and with a couple more thrill rides, and a new coaster things could really take off for them.

And Shockwave wasnt made by B&M :-)
meames

JooshBall wrote:
Nearly - its an Intamin coaster and the only stand up in Europe......but Sirs Walter and Claude worked on it I believe before they left to start B&M, it was built after they left and B&M was in operation. Iron Wolf was B&M's first stand up.
The Moon

^Subcontracted by Intamin to Giovanola, hence the box section track.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...
Don't_Look_Down

coastermaster wrote: can anyone get us a pic of draytonmanor in the past years as there is not many
Any particular year? I love these pictures:

You really do get a sense of how bare and farigroundy Drayton used to be (have a good look at the other pictures in that set)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mallrat37/ ... 5102843206

Picture of SF10 and the surrounding area by BEAR GmbH
http://www.bearrides.com/images/GRANDF2B.jpg

About the new attractions planned for the next few years - A reliable source has stated that the thrill coaster is now planned for 2014. Not only will this ride interact with the nearby lake, it will also be the first of its kind in the UK :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
The Terminator

Drayton Manor was actually my local park when I was growing up, I can remember going there when the python rollercoaster was there and the log flume only had one drop!
You used to use tickets for the rides in those days or the holy grail wristbands.
I went last year for the first time in 20 years and was amazed that the place has hardly changed really, obviously the rides have changed but the layout is still very similar.
I WILL be back
Don't_Look_Down

^ Do you have any good photos of the original flume and Python?
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
King Nemesis

Hello,
Here is a video i made showing construction to Excalibur - A dragons tail:

Not the best quality but that was due to rendering options
Enjoy!
RickiAscension

So I read in the paper today that someone suffered cardiac arrest after coming off the 'Maelstrom' ride. There are no suspicious circumstances and no fault of the park or ride at all, the poor woman in her 40's must have just literally been 'scared to death'!

It doesn't mention weather she had any underlying heart issues but I imagine if she did it would have mentioned something!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... swing.html
----reece----

Will Drayton manor be busy on Monday??  What do u think? X
synghters

Hello folks,

I went to drayton manor with 5 of  my friends sunday just gone, it was the 2nd time that i've ever been to the park and thoroughly enjoyed it, however the rollercoasters were rough for example shockwave was smooth if you are in front but rough if you are anywhere else ie you can hear the clackity clack and i felt very unnerved being behind the front not a good feeling hearing all those clicks and clacks going round bends and upside down etc, same with g force nice rollercoaster short and sweet but again very rough.

As for the rest my favourite has to be maelstrom absolutely loved this ride, log flume again very well laid out and very good and pandemonium is hardcore.

overall 3 out of 5 for drayton manor imo it really needs some tlc mean surely they can afford a lick of paint for the buildings etc for example the toilets were disgusting look like something out of the 80's.
The Moon

Commas are a wonderful thing.. Just kidding, sounds like you enjoyed yourself none the less, and I agree it does need a serious paint job.
THC selectively targets and destroys tumor cells while leaving healthy cells unscathed. Conventional chemotherapy drugs, by contrast, are highly toxic; they indiscriminately damage the brain and body.

Toke up...