Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Themeparksandy1981

I always go on the last day of the season as it's £20 for adults if u book online. The rides are open to 9pm and there's a good firework display.
JammyBand

Can somebody update on this? I'm really confused if it is still running. I thought I heard it was being closed properly? Is it just still open as usual? Ugh, help me lol!
DeanGaryCox

JammyBand wrote: Can somebody update on this? I'm really confused if it is still running. I thought I heard it was being closed properly? Is it just still open as usual? Ugh, help me lol!
excalibur... if that's the outdoor boat ride, it's closed - and only opened as part of their christmas event (even though i think it's only the building and not even the ride!?)
Image 2014
ThrillJunkie

They been having problems with Excalibur for years. It was quite a good ride for the first two years but since then it's not been worth bothering with. A few years back it was closed for pretty much an entire season due to a fault. The park spent a lot of money on this attraction when it first opened, I can see it going anywhere anytime soon.
ThrillJunkieUK
Themeparksandy1981

I would love them to use the back of the lake and build the zoo bigger as where the theme park has growth stronger and stronger the zoo really needs more animals.
themealgang

Excalibur is dead- they now use the castle for their Christmas event. It's a real shame as the ride was actually quite unique for the UK, but they just let it rot. I can remember the glory days when the dragon used to breathe fire, the theming was great and the whole area was in good condition. In its last years, I wanted to cringe every time I rode it. It became that bad, the ride was almost a scrap-heap and deserved to go.

Area would be perfect for a woodie though!  :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Themeparksandy1981

No coaster or thrill ride will go there as it too close to the zoo.
Jack

Never really knew much about Drayton, but still, he no doubt created a brilliant park with a brilliant reputation, I'm sure he will be missed by us all
anthonyc12

I haven't found any info on George Bryan Phillips. I have found one but no one in the Hanley, Stoke, Staffordshire area. Just seems a bit too big a coincidence that inthe names appear in this order over these years
1931 George Bryan Phillips
1932 George Broughton Phillips
1933 George Phillips Broughton
Thorpe Towers 13

RIP.

You made a very happy place. Went in August after not going for a good ten years and it still has a nice feel to it. (maybe a few less chavs would be nicer)
hands in the air and scream!
Thorpe Towers 13

Castle of dreams or something like that I saw on the park map, painted pink... :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:oh dear
hands in the air and scream!
G-Force

DMTP0655

Mrs Vera Bryan, obituary

Drayton Manor Theme Park regrets to announce that the park’s co-founder, Mrs Vera Bryan, passed away peacefully this morning (Wednesday 16th October) at Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield.

Mrs Bryan, 96, dedicated her life to Drayton Manor and her family. Her passion helped bring joy and laughter to millions of families from the UK and abroad.

After leaving school at the age of 14, Mrs Bryan began working at California-in-England pleasure park in Berkshire, which was owned by her father, and by 1935, Vera had taken over the running of the tea shop with all the responsibilities that role involved.

However, following the outbreak of the Second World War, California-in-England was shut and the restaurant was converted into a factory manufacturing aircraft parts. Mrs Bryan understood her duty and swapped her apron for overalls and spent five years working at the factory, much of the time as a welder.

It was in May 1942 that Vera met her husband, Mr George H H Bryan and they married later that year.
California-in-England reopened after the end of the war but by the late 1940s and inspired by her father’s business, Mrs Bryan and her husband were ready to embark on their own legacy – Drayton Manor Theme Park.

The couple first arrived at the 80-acre site near Tamworth 64 years ago today, 16th October 1949, and the land was covered with 4ft-high brambles, mounds of rubbish and old army huts. Undaunted by the challenge, the couple, along with a small, dedicated team of engineers and mechanics, spent six months transforming the site.

In April 1950, Drayton Manor Park opened and for decades, Vera and her husband worked side-by-side transforming the small attraction into a major national tourism destination. From organising the catering and supervising staff, to making curtains and other furnishings for the tea rooms and restaurant, Mrs Bryan was an inspiration to all.

In addition to the running of Drayton Manor Theme Park, being a mother to Colin, Jane and Andrew, grandmother and great grandmother, Mrs Bryan was also a passionate supporter of various charities, including the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI). In 2004, Vera named the new Drayton Manor lifeboat, which was purchased following fundraising activities by the park.

Mrs Bryan’s passing comes less than a month after her husband’s, who died peacefully on Friday 20th September and they are now reunited once more.

We ask that you respect the family’s privacy at this sad time. Mr and Mrs Bryan will be remembered and never forgotten.
R U Ready TO Experiance The Force Of The G
Danny

This is truly awful. Both owners, husband and wife within less than a month of each other. We'll I sincerely hope they rest in peace and are re united again
Themeparksandy1981

I just hope that come 2049 with the park been 100 years old by then it is still run by the family.
Themeparksandy1981

Well back in July the park have submitted a 5 years plan to Lichfield Council to built a new hotel,new big restaurant and new rides. Then they should be able to built on the green belt land after 2020.
iBacon

Drayton Manor have just posted this on Facebook:
Drayton Manor wrote: Teaser Alert! We have some major news to announce very soon. Keep watching this space!
Maybe it's that  Launched Coaster ;)
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
DeanGaryCox

Well unless they're saying something about new for 2015... We definitely won't be seeing that this year. There are rumours it could be a new thrilling flat ride for families in the action park area by gforce and shockwave - possibly a zamperla air race.
Image 2014
Themeparksandy1981

This is how big the area is at the moment
Maybe they will remove the remote control cars and the covered seating area.

My next 2 pics are of the site of the former dino land where something was supposed to open there in 2012. Colin said he like to build a walk though monkey attraction but not heard anything since the beginning of 2013.

I went looking round the site to see if anything was getting done but all I could see was Old Dinos that was not moved to the other site.

The next 2 photos are of the old Seal area which has been empty for years.

Heres a picture I took of the site back in 2007

This project is dead in the water now and the penguins have left the park. It's currenty a area for ducks.
DeanGaryCox

Drayton Manor now posting the obvious

'Yes, we're getting a new attraction! But what type? Tell us what kind of ride you would like to see here at the park!'

Probably doesn't make any difference them asking people as they already know what they're getting, unless this could be for help with future investments... although we haven't seen a thrilling one in countless years!
Image 2014