Drayton Manor

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Themeparksandy1981

I doubt they will buy new trains when they repainted the trains Red and Blue last year.
-Prometheus-

Wouldn't new trains require tweaks to all of the sensors, computer systems etc?  Not sure how different the Intamin trains are to the B&M ones 'under the hood'. 
BigAl

Not sure how big a task it would be. Chessington had Vekoma fit their swinging trains to Vampire which had been made by Arrow. I've no idea if it would be possible to do it for this as well? :?
Don't_Look_Down

Now I've no idea if this is authentic, but this is the supposed layout of the 2014 coaster:

It's obviously a launch coaster of some sort  :)
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Benzin

It's a fake... And I'm sure already previously discussed on here...
Don't_Look_Down

I thought the image before was a conceptual project? Oh well :/

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
BigAl

Yep, that's what Imagineer John made. It looks great, but it in my opinion, Drayton needs something bigger (on the same sort of scale as Shockwave).
Don't_Look_Down

Apologies, I've just realised that this isn't the official layout or plans at all.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
Bote

With regards to the train throughput is almost always linked to the number of trains or capacity of the ride. Not enough results in low throughput. Too much on a coaster can also harm throughput though. However, in Drayton's case I think it's that they simply don't get enough in the first place. G-Force would be definitely improved with a second train though.

Think about it. Train 1 loads > Train 1 dispatches > Train 1 hits the SkyLoop > Train 2 has parked by now > Train 2 down loads > Train 2 begins to load.

While train 2 is loading train 1 is still traveling around the track. Even if the ride stacks slightly you are still in essence loading twice as many people in one go (When it stacks) One full on leaves and as it does another one enters, ready to be loaded. It is short, so the staff would need to be well trained and effective to try and not stack. It would be challenging, but it could possibly be done. The X-Car trains aren't very big. The only real change I think would be good to make is reprogram the ride system so it can hold one train at the base of the lift if the other hasn't cleared the brake run by the time the first is there. Kind of like how Air slows down when the main circuit isn't empty (Though obviously, given the nature of the lift it'd be better to hold it at the base rather than travel slowly and potentially need to stop in an awkward position).

As for Shockwave, changing the trains for B&M ones would be very expensive, as no doubt given it's age B&M would have to specially make them. That wouldn't come cheap. However, I heard rumors that when the trains were overhauled recently they did use some B&M or B&M compatible parts, due to the originals being either unobtainable or expensive.

There are ways they could speed up Shockwave too though. All they need to do is add a video and some signs in the second half of the queueline explaining how to board the ride (Think like Duel does). That's one of the most common things I see when in that station. People simply can't grasp how the restraint system works, so have to wait for a ride host to help them. By doing this they'd give people a bit of pre-warning, and it wouldn't be too expensive to produce and implement. It could easily all be done in house.

If they did that, and had the staff running more effectively they'd be much better off. I have wondered if Drayton have any structure for their throughputs on larger rides. A lot of big parks set their ride teams targets they have to reach each day. If Drayton don't do this it's something they would be wise to consider in my opinion. If the staff simply can't be bothered to adhere to it then all they need is some incentive to do it. Even if it's something simple like at the end of the season the ride/attraction team which has consistently been on target are rewarded in some form.

Like I say, I don't know if Drayton have such a system or not, but if they don't it's something to consider. If they do then maybe it's time they clamped down on it.

There are lots of little things the park could do to try and increase throughputs though. Hopefully, with this new attraction we'll see something which can hit at least 1000pph. I do wonder if that is part of the issue (With Shockwave anyway). When the park installed certain larger attractions they didn't anticipate the gate figures they would be getting in the future, so rather than planning ahead with throughputs they just went for the easiest solution. I'm sure when Towers installed Nemmy they didn't think they'd really need 1400pph at the time, but these days it sets the benchmark for their attractions :P
Last edited by Bote on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImURNemesis

Has anyone noticed that Drayton haven't been advertising as much? A couple of years ago when Tomasland opened and even before that, the park was showcasing its self and it's rides allover the telly, I remember a time where at least once a day a Drayton Manor advert would show up. Now theres harley any. I know the park has spent alot last year with the Hotel+ Ben ten, but good advertising is and has been one of the its key successes of the park.
Themeparksandy1981

I usually see Drayton Manor ads during the school holidays. It's mainly the Thomasland 1 which they add a banner on it to check the website for 2 for 1 ticket offers.

Onto that  2014 coaster I knew that wasn't really the design for the 2014 as they haven't got the go ahead yet to build on that part of the park.
nemesismad

For anyone intrested in these unofficial plans of the Drayton Manor 2014 coaster i've been making it in No limits coaster since yesterday evening, i finally got it finished this evening and have a video up online for everyone to see, if your intrested that is  :D

Themeparksandy1981

That Coaster design is good but just looks a bigger version of Rita but it did look good going backwards. It be good if they added water effects and enclosed part/parts of the track.

I been searching the net and you tube for photos and videos of the pirate adventure when everything worked and the 3 ghosts at the end of the ride were still there with no luck. Can anyone put a link if you know any please. It's a shame that the 3 ghost pirates got burned down and taking out the compression that worked the bell ringer next door as well.
JooshBall

SpinballEdders wrote: I haven't been to Drayton, I would like to go though. some rides like apocalypse, maelstorm, stormforce 10, Ben 10 (minus the theme) and even Thomas land look awesome, however I'm being put off by rides like shockwave (for looking and sounding incredibly painful according to some males) and G-Force which looks crap.
You really need to go! Not only do I actually work at this theme park, I have managed to tour many of the theme parks around the country and I am yet to find anything as fun (in terms of water rides) as Stormforce 10! Also, one of the rides I work on (Shockwave), I have many conversations with blokes who are a little weary about the comfort of the seating arrangements - however, they have all got off and stated that it was totally worth the pain for the thrill. The seats are adjusted to your inside leg height, so your weight isn't actually resting on the precious area and that your feet (as they would if you were standing) take the weight.

Honestly, you should really experience the park.
It's just me, Josh.
JooshBall

-Prometheus- wrote: Wouldn't new trains require tweaks to all of the sensors, computer systems etc?  Not sure how different the Intamin trains are to the B&M ones 'under the hood'.
Not only would new trains require tweaks to sensors and other systems, the layout of the track (in terms of the chain-lift and the inversions) would also provide other issues. The cars we have on at the moment (the blue and red ones) are routinely maintained (news main wheels, upstops etc.) and are frequently painted. In terms of completely new cars, it may happen in the next few years (as well as many other changes to the park) but for the time being, they are absolutely fine - they're just not as contemporary as some of the more modern coaster cars. Don't forget it has been open since 1994!
It's just me, Josh.
Don't_Look_Down

I don't get the hate for Shockwave. I go on it once a week and it's my second favourite coaster ever. The first drop and Zero G are sensational.

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!
jackgcse

Looks as pointless as Furius Baco, in terms of track layout!
Wow, they are really pushing the limits of ride technology! ;) I would rather see another ride to the same extremes as G-Force!
coastermaster

I went last weekend with my school. Excalibur is being refurbished and the park management has told staff they are getting 3 new coasters. I asked several staff and they all said three.
Last edited by coastermaster on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackgcse

That probably means one big coaster, one Caterpillar ride, and a flying fish! LOL
Rob
Admin
Admin

jackgcse wrote: That probably means one big coaster, one Caterpillar ride, and a flying fish! LOL
Would still be 3 new rides which is better than nothing and would provide a coaster for all the family.