Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Adz
Admin
Admin

You don't, stop spamming or i will remove your posting rights.
Liam

One things sure IMO, is that Oblivion has the best name by far.

G5
SheiKra
Griffon

They just don't do it for me.
AstroDan

[quote=""liam14""][quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""][quote=""liam14""]

nemesis - inverted (wordls first)
corky - sit down (worlds first invtertion)

[/quote]

Both of those are incorrect.[/quote]

No, nemesis was the worlds first sit down and in 1980 the first foller coaster invertion was created to a ride called corkscrew.

And air was the worlds first flyin, I know ma facts:D[/quote]

I think you are getting a bit confused, Liam.

If you think Corkscrew was the first inversion, i suggest you check out the following link:

http://www.rcdb.com/id130.htm - 1976 with Loop - there were also Arrow Corkscrews operating in the 1970's.

Also, Nemesis was the 2nd Inverter in the world, i think, with Top Gun the first: (*edit, sorry for error here!)

http://www.rcdb.com/id80.htm

The worlds first 'flying coaster' was actually at Garanada Studios, England - believe it or not:

http://www.rcdb.com/id2380.htm

However, the first modern era flying coaster was:

http://www.rcdb.com/id583.htm

This was a Vekoma Flying Dutchman called 'Stealth' and was later moved.

I hope that clears up some of the information? What is correct:

Air - worlds first B&M Flyer
Nemesis - worlds first Terrain B&M Invert and Europe's first
Last edited by AstroDan on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaz

Also, Nemesis was the 2nd Inverter in the world, i think, with Top Gun the first:

http://www.rcdb.com/id80.htm
Nope, JW got the idea for Nemesis after riding one of the Batman: The Ride clones, therefore that cant be. It was based so much around Batman that the original idea was to build another clone at our very own Alton Towers. After they realised they would never get planning permission for a ride of that size the mighty monster Nemesis was born.
Last edited by Kaz on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Pop Rocket

[quote=""liam14""][quote=""Dr Pop Rocket""][quote=""liam14""]

nemesis - inverted (wordls first)
corky - sit down (worlds first invtertion)

[/quote]

Both of those are incorrect.[/quote]

No, nemesis was the worlds first sit down and in 1980 the first foller coaster invertion was created to a ride called corkscrew.

And air was the worlds first flyin, I know ma facts:D[/quote]

Well you obviously dont know your facts. Batman The Ride was the first Inverter. The only record corkscrew holds is that it was the first coaster in the UK to invert twice.
AstroDan

Sorry! I am even getting muddled in the muddle. I said Top Gun was the 1st as RCB splits the B&M inverters and the B&M Inverters (Batman) so the Batman didn't show. There were two Batmans (1992 and 1993) along with Top Gun (1993) before Nemesis.

:D
Thomas

So there was 3 inverted coasters built before nemesis?

Thomas
Kaz

RCB splits the B&M inverters and the B&M Inverters
What are you on about? :?
Last edited by Kaz on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDan

If you want to know all the B&M Inverted Rollercoasters ever made, on a list, on RCDB - i don't think you can. Because it splits all the Custom B&M Inverters and the Batman B&M Inverters into separate lists! As a result I got confused.

See what I mean:

Make model: Inverted Coaster (Batman)
http://www.rcdb.com/id32.htm

Make model: Inverted Coaster
http://www.rcdb.com/id1747.htm

liam14

Well WTF is up, with the TV ads

Air clearly quotes " Air, the worlds fistflyin coster at alton towers you can fly" BLA BLA BLA
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
Thomas

i thought air was the first flying. and all the others before air were not flying coaster but lye down coasters, maybe wrong but i heard it on a roller coaster program before.

Thomas
Adz
Admin
Admin

Air was the world first new generation flying coaster.
Sir John Talbot

Both Air and Blivvy were just B&M prototypes that used clever marketing to let the significance of them be known to the general public in way they understand :).

Another Dive Machine! Wow. I would've thought we'd see a lot more than we have, but the rarer the better.

I've actually seen a lot of people say Oblivion is better than SheiKra, because it was the old school B&M sheer force, compared to the newer B&M's which are a lot less intimating on how the glide around the track. Oblivion is a completely different ride anyway, so much pschological attention being put on one element is ingenious, almost makes up for the lack of anything else, but it was definatley the most intense experience I've ever had on my first ride and I'm sure nothing will ever match it.

Nice to see a successor to SheiKra though. I'm sure this will be another great machine.
dave_lee

I thought that august 22nd was the day to fear anyway so they can kiss theyre coaster goodbye. :P
liam14

Aw well lets just drop it but all I can say is that the old Alton Towers web site wasnt verry good when it came to info tuttuttut :( Making me look stupd GGRR

Anyway, so, whats the beef with this grifin thing then ?
Nemesis: 4
Air : 4
Oblivion :3
Corkscrew: 8
Rita :4
Runaway mine train :15

Trips to A.T :14
Coasterboy

I've done shiekra, good ride, but it does not have the same atmosphere as oblivion, granted, shiekra has two drops with the second going in to water, which i have to admit looked fantastic, but apart from that the ride is too smooth and no character. Please correct me if I am wrong on this any other member, but for me its a good ride but i will stick with the original and best
Anonymous

well to my knowledge, vekoma didnt make the first flying coaster,
SkyTrak at Granada studios was the first flying coaster!
Danzaw*nk

[quote=""Coasterboy""]too smooth and no character. [/quote]

Do explain :).

Having ridden Sheikra the other day, im not actuall sure which i prefer. The whol atmosphere around Oblivion and queue videos make a terrific experience. Oblivion's drop is definately better and does look bigger than Skeikra's in some way :-?. Oblivions hole is what makes the drop better i think. Somehow, being at 87 degrees feels more intense than 90 degrees :-?.

However, they are both fantastic coasters and it's great to see another! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this :D.

Dan
:D.
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3
Kaz

Busch Gardens Europe Goes Over the Edge with “Griffon”

8/23/2006 12:00:00 AM

Park Debuts World’s Tallest, Only Floorless Dive Coaster

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (August 23, 2006) -- Teased since early July with park billboards touting “Like Nothing Else in the World,” Busch Gardens Europe took the plunge and unveiled its latest steel marvel, Griffon, the world’s tallest and only floorless dive coaster. Currently under construction, this diving, driving force in roller coaster engineering will debut at Busch Gardens late spring 2007.

Griffon will send riders through an extraordinary journey 205 feet up and 90 degrees straight down at more than 70 mph – and that’s just the beginning. The name Griffon evokes the power and speed of a mythical beast that is part eagle and part lion. The ride twists, turns and plunges – giving riders a breathtaking adventure unlike any coaster experience in the world.

“With its adrenalin-pumping vertical drops, high speed, a mid-air pause, multiple coaster elements and overall experience, Griffon is certain to fulfill thrill seekers’ expectations,” said Donnie Mills, executive vice-president and general manager for Busch Gardens Europe and Water Country USA.

Griffon will incorporate two Immelman loops (a simultaneous loop and roll, the name of which was derived from the World War I German flying ace who invented the tactical maneuver). The world’s first floorless dive coaster also incorporates a second 130-foot dive and one water feature with spectacular viewing platforms where ride watchers can share in the thrills. Each floorless coaster car will consist of three, 10-person wide rows.

“The view will be spectacular and every seat on Griffon will offer an excellent ride,” said Mills.

The roller coaster is being constructed by Bolliger & Mabillard of Monthey, Switzerland on the former LeMans Raceway site in the French section of the Williamsburg theme park. Griffon is the fifth member of the park’s family of renowned coasters.

Construction began July 6, 2006. The most recent roller coaster to debut at Busch Gardens was Apollo’s Chariot in 1999.

Busch Gardens Europe and Water Country USA in Williamsburg are Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks. Other Anheuser-Busch Adventure Parks include Busch Gardens Africa and Adventure Island in Tampa Bay; SeaWorld Adventure Parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio; Sesame Place, a children’s play park near Philadelphia; and Discovery Cove in Orlando, a family vacation experience featuring interaction with dolphins and other marine animals. For more information, visit buschgardens.com or call (800) 343-7946.
Fact Sheet

Set amid a French village, Griffon carries riders up 205 feet, then hurtles them 90 degrees straight down at 70 mph. And that’s just the beginning.

Griffon evokes the power and speed of a mythical bird that is part eagle and part lion. It plunges, twists and turns – giving riders an adrenaline-pumping adventure that’s unlike any coaster experience in the world.

Griffon will be the tallest dive coaster in the world; the first floorless dive coaster, and the first to incorporate two Immelmann loops (an inverse diving loop named for a WWI German fighter pilot), a second 130-foot dive and one water feature. Griffon offers over-the-edge excitement on more than half a mile of steel track and will become the centerpiece of Busch Gardens’ Europe’s French section.

TYPE OF RIDE:

Dive coaster

FIRST-OF-A-KIND ELEMENTS:

Steepest drop (90°)
Tallest dive coaster drop (205’)
First dive coaster to include two Immelmann loops
Floorless trains

OTHER ELEMENTS:

130-foot second dive
360° climbing carousel
Water-feature

TRACK LENGTH:

3,108 feet, more than half a mile

MAXIMUM SPEED:

71 mph

RIDE DURATION:

Three minutes

MAXIMUM G-FORCE:

4 G Forces

HEIGHT:

205 feet

SEATS/TRAIN:

Three rows of 10 seats
30 passengers per train
Floorless
Stadium-style seating

GUEST CAPACITY:

Approximately 1,400 guests per hour

HEIGHT REQUIREMENT:

54”

Busch Gardens Europe, France area

MANUFACTURER:

Bolliger & Mabillard – Monthey, Switzerland
Watch the video!

--------

Thats right, The Worlds First Floorless Dive Coaster is to be built! I cant wait to ride this thing! It's also intresting to know that the cars on this Dive Machine will be wider than normal with 10 per row!

It's about time B&M!
Danzaw*nk

They say it will be the first floorless but surely thats not going to be any different to Sheikra? I remember my feet hanging on that.

Dan
<3 Gashead\'s Mother <3