Dreamland Margate

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Phil

[quote=""marky.com""]George has already got an advert is World's Fair looking for major and 'juvenile' rides. Let's hope the owners don't manage to curb interest in the park too much.

Also, here are some photos of Dreamland I took in 1986 and 1987, back when it was called 'Bembom Brothers Theme Park'. There's some on and offride ones of the Mary Rose too - just like Alton's 'Space Boat'.

Clicky[/quote]

Wow! Amazing pictures marky - thank-you for those!

It's amazing to think that i was even born when some of those were taken! The looping star looks so new, not a spot of rust in sight! And the space-boat looks very, very intense. Judging by one of the photos you only had a flimsy lap-bar, like the ones found on pirate ships? Was Alton's exactly the same?
Coaster Neil

Well it's great news to hear it's opening this year and I wish George Webb the best of luck. There is still a lot to be confirmed, but I'm sure it will be a great season for the park (or as great as one can hope for in the given circumstances!).

At the moment perhaps the most important point is that it's just a week left of the public consultation into Dreamland's future so here is a last reminder. If you've forgotten about it, or put it off then it is your last chance to have a say and make a difference. I don't think anyone has actually posted a copy of the original email sent out to campaign members, so here is a copy:
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE CAN ALL MEMBERS READ THIS MESSAGE AND THEN SUBMIT COMMENTS TO THE COUNCIL AS EXPLAINED BELOW.

DREAMLAND’S SURVIVAL DEPENDS ON US ALL ACTING NOW.

Thanet District Council has just published proposed modifications to its Local Plan that will allow the Dreamland site to be either partially or completely redeveloped. This is in direct conflict with the independent government inspector’s report of November last year that stated unequivocally that Dreamland must remain an amusement park. The Council is also going directly against the wishes of the people and businesses of Margate – we know that, because of the results of the Council’s last two public consultations.

(The Proposed Modifications can be viewed on a special page on the Thanet District Council website: http://www.thanet.gov.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl?mysql=782 )

Any Local Plan policy that allows for redevelopment of the site – such as the one now proposed by Thanet District Council - effectively means the end for Dreamland. The Inspector said what we always knew was the case: that amusement park operators cannot compete with developers of retail, housing and commercial leisure. If this policy is adopted, there can be absolutely no prospect of a serious investment in the amusement park.

If you are as disappointed as we are that the Council has chosen to ignore the inspector’s recommendations, you MUST let the Council know. There is an easy way to do this online. Just click on the following link to take you to the online Comments Form: http://www.thanet.gov.uk/assets/surv...tions/lp11.htm

Then follow the easy online instructions.

The design of the form is not perfect, so please note the following:

Q2: You need to fill in every field in this question or you cannot go onto the next question. If you are not an organisation, just put ‘NA’ in the box.
Q4: Click the ‘Proposed Modification’ button.
Q5: The Modification Number is M8.6.
Q7: This is where you set out your reasons. At the very least, you need to ask them to fully accept the Inspector’s recommendations. You may also wish to say that the Policy as now proposed by the Council will allow for other uses on the site, which means it is unlikely that an amusement park will survive long-term. Having a clause in the policy that allows for Dreamland’s redevelopment if the amusement park is not viable means that there is no incentive for the owner to invest the very large sums of money required for a permanent amusement park. You can say as much or as little about this issue as you wish.
Q8: You need to ask the Council to reword Policy T11 as set out in the Inspector’s Report (Recommendation 107(iii), page 411)

Don’t forget to click the SUBMIT button when you have finished the online form. This is easily missed. This should take you to a page that says: “Thank you for taking the time to answer this questionnaire.”

Instead of filling out the online form, you can print a form and post it:

http://www.thanet.gov.uk/assets/pdfs...ectionform.pdf

If you need to remind yourself what the Inspector said in his report, you can view the report by clicking here:

http://www.thanet.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/Local...inalVersion.pdf

Scroll down to Page 403 for the section on Policy T11 – Dreamland.

Should you require any assistance with commenting on the Proposed Modifications, please email me: nick@joylandbooks.com.

Once again, can I ask that all members respond to this consultation as this might be our last formal chance to make a difference.

Let's tell them what we think of their decision!

Nick
Again it isn't all that easy, but if you need assistance you can either email me or the campaign leader (whichever takes your fancy). If you want to post you response this is fine, but you will need to do it in the next few days to make sure it will get there in time. As has been said before this consultation is crucial if the park is to be saved!
Anonymous

[quote=""Phil""]Wow! Amazing pictures marky - thank-you for those!

It's amazing to think that i was even born when some of those were taken! The looping star looks so new, not a spot of rust in sight! And the space-boat looks very, very intense. Judging by one of the photos you only had a flimsy lap-bar, like the ones found on pirate ships? Was Alton's exactly the same?[/quote]

The Space Boat/Mary Rose was a brilliant ride with quite high g-forces at the bottom of the swings. You were held in by a very tight lap bar with a metal grip for you to hold onto - the same as the ones on 1001 Nights but with extra padding. The extra padding didn't help male riders though!

Seeing as it appears that the Mary Rose/Ghost Ship were the same ride, it's fairly possible that the Tri Star shown in the pics is also the one that replaced the 4 man bob at Alton. The Margate one disappeared in 1989/90, from what I can remember.
Rooey

The Mary Rose was the Space Boat, Margate got it after it was removed from alton

The Tri Star was not the same one, as it was at Dreamland until it was taken over in 95.

Great ride tho
Anonymous

Well i hope that dreamland will open this season! As i want to make one special trip to it! I love the scenic railway! :D
Rooey

It should be open soon. The M&D "Giant Wheel" has been put on the seafront between two buildings (where a building burnt down a few years ago)
Anonymous

whatr other rides
Anonymous

Here's a pic of the wheel. It's the same height as the famous one that was there in the eighties and nineties. Whether or not gondolas will be attached remains to be seen - clinging on for dear life at 150 feet could be fun.

Last year they had a selection of travelling rides run by Harry Ayers including a Top Scan 2, a mega drop, a booster, various spin 'n' spew type rides, the world's worst log 'flume' and some kiddie rides. This year, though far short of the campaign's aim, looks to be a bit better.

The main news page on Save Dreamlandwill keep you updated on what other temporary rides will be there this year.
Adam2

I have amazing memories of going to Dreamland as a child, it was a great park and the fact it was run down didnt take detract from the experience of being there, I will support a re-developement.
[Signature Removed by Admin - Too Big]
Anonymous

Good evening guys and gals.
As some of you may know, Dreamland Fun Park in Margate is home to the oldest operating coaster (and also the first heritage protected coaster) in the UK: The Scenic Railway. Some of you may also know that Dreamland is currently under threat of permanent closure for redevelopment! This would mean the loss of a substantial piece of UK Amusement Park history.

With this in mind,
The online enthusiast forum CoasterForce.com and the Save Dreamland Campaign have joined forces to raise awareness about Dreamland, The Scenic Railway and the living history that it holds. Part of this collaboration included the filming of a unique documentary about Dreamland, The Scenic Railway and the Campaign itself.

The documentary has now been launched over at CoasterForce.com and can be downloaded as well as all the other CoasterForce documentaries from the following page http://www.coasterforce.com/Videos/p13_sectionid/12

We hope you enjoy viewing it as much as we did filming it and hope that it has taught you at the very least something new.

The next step in showing your support of keeping this piece of history alive would be to sign up to the campaign at www.savedreamland.co.uk and clicking Join Us, or even further still, visiting Dreamland this summer for yourself and showing your support for the park and helping keep it alive for our future generations, just like the generations before us who have been visiting the park since it opened in 1920.

Thank you for your time guys and gals.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammie04

I wouldn't say dreamland was a brilliant park from when I visited but I do aggree that it is a shame if the Scenic Railway went I've been on it front row when I went a few years ago was good fun :) .

Its good there is a campaign shows how people feel about the park which is good and it being a famous amusement park it might just work.

i believe that the one in Folkstone is near this has that fair gone now I think it has. I used to go there alot when I was younger was a nice little fairground.
Adz
Admin
Admin

I make a point of visiting this park every year, the £40 train fare is worth it for the scenic railway alone!

I do urge everyone to try and support this campaign as much as you possibly can as it would be a massive shame to see what was once a brilliant park vanish for good and be turned into a tesco.
Coaster Neil

Thanks for that.

Every little helps, and the campaign has certainly made a lot of progress over the past three and a bit years. Sammie is of course right in saying that at the moment the park isn't brilliant, but of course that is deliberate as the owners are trying to convince people that the park isn't viable. In the past it has been Britain's second biggest amusement park above places such as Pleasureland Southport and Great Yarmouth Pleasurebeach so it is certainly an important part of amusement heritage.

When you say that CF and the SDC have joined forces I assume you mean that CF is trying to take a more active role is support. But just to avoid confusion a lot of coaster enthusiate organisations have been displaying support including Joyland Books, the RCCGB, ECC and quite a few other sites such as CF and my own. I assume that's what you mean? It's great that so many groups of enthusiates are joining together, and the campaign does seem to be snowballing and is still increasing in size. Also once again thanks for all the support shown by this forum.
Anonymous

Well yes. I personally have been doing a lot of work with the Save Dreamland Campaign starting with the documentary and our event at Dreamland over the weekend. I am still working on various other projects with the campaign and the such like that will involve CF too.
Adz
Admin
Admin

From reading the SaveDreamland forum on a daily basis It really does look like the campaign is beginning to really kick into action.

Unfortunately, and as much i wish we could do more, the support which TTF can give as a whole will always be limited by the fact we are an Alton Towers forum. Which is why as above I'm urging individuals who have visited dreamland in the past or who genuinely have an interest in the history of our amusement parks, and indeed the future of this one to join the campaign and to visit the park if you can to show that interest is still around and that Dreamland, if developed into a proper amusement park (not a rollercoaster and a fairground) would be viable.

Mark, I look forward to seeing CF's efforts with saving the park and I really hope they are successful.
Anonymous

Welcome to the forum Mark (great name!) and thanks for your information on the campaign. Thanks also for your documentary, although unfortunately some of the interviews were a little difficult to hear!

Like Adz, I'm a daily reader (and occasional poster) on the savedreamland forum and it's fantastic to see the campaign really beginning to kick in - 'Bob' seems to have served as a bit of a catalyst for action! I've been visiting the park for two decades, but only visit once a year now as the current state of the park depesses me. However, thanks to Nick and Sarah's work, the potential for the park to once again reign as a great decent theme park (it used to be number three after Alton and Blackpool Pleasure Beach) remains.

People often get sentimental about Corkscrew on the grounds of her age and what she did for Alton Towers, but the Scenic Railway in Margate is a totally different story. Not only is it the oldest operating rollercoaster in the country, one of only two without underfriction wheels and a brakeman and the only rollercoaster to be award listed status - it's also a damn good ride and deserves to be the centrepiece of a first class park. Dreamland may currently just be a concrete car park with the Scenic Railway and a handful or travelling fair rides, but given the chance, the likes of Philip Miller (owner of Southend's Adventure Island - a brilliantly themed little park that's getting a Eurofighter next year) could turn it into a great all-year round attraction once again.

So even if you've never visited, it's vitally important if you currently enjoy the diversity of the UK's theme parks, to visit the campaign's site and join - there aren't that many parks in the south of England and it could mean the difference between a new Dreamland or a new bowling alley.
Coaster Neil

I'm not sure whether this getting a bit cheeky with peeps using this topic to advertise other sites, but hey, it's in a good cause!
I've added some more resources to my Save Dreamland minisite:
http://www.freewebs.com/savedreamland/index.htm
It now includes a timeline that gives a synopsis of how the campaign has got to where it is today.

Thanks for everyones encouragement and I can see that there is a limit to what Towers Times can do and it's good that you stickied a topic.

It is perhaps a little unfair to say that the campaign is beginning to kick into action has we have been working hard for over 3.5 years now writting letters (I've sent about 20 in total), raising the campaigns profile. Over the past three years a lot has happened. Events have been organised through the campaign (eg roaring twenties nights) and externally (eg Coaster Force and both the main coaster clubs. The campaign has also gained a lot of publicity on many internet sites and forums, magazines including enthusiaste and trade ones, besides a lot of stuff in the local papers.

The campaigns achieved a lot and hopefully will continue to do so!
Anonymous

[quote=""Neil""]

It is perhaps a little unfair to say that the campaign is beginning to kick into action [/quote]

What I meant was that with the recent developments and Thanet council choosing to ignore the Independent Government Inspector's recommendations, the good work that the campaign has done thus far (and continues to do), is more important than ever and is achieving more and more recognition, on enthusiast forums and in the mainstream press and also in terms of action (the disused buildings and the fence being prime examples). It's momentum is much more visible now than it was a few years ago. I wasn't implying that nothing much has happenned in the past - far from it!

:D
Anonymous

Hi,

I'd just like to congratulate Coaster Force on becoming official partners with the Save Dreamland Land campaign. I know one of my collegues upset a few people earlier, but we mean no harm. Just trying to help. Anyhow to set the records straight what he should have said is that if you want to help save the Countries second biggest amusement park join the Coaster Force forum.

Thanks to all those that have downloaded our video. Remember if you like this Coaster Force video we have plenty more videos at Coaster Force.

It is a pleasure for Coaster Force to be able to help the campaign.

Again I'm sorry that there was some confusion earlier and Coaster Force will be involving the Save Dreamland Campaign wherever possible.
Coaster Neil

It's great that Coaster Force are so keen to help the campaign and have already done a lot, but it does seem that they are a bit too keen to take credit.

At the end of the day it's important that people help the campaign because it's such a worthy cause, rather than as a publicity stunt. I don't want to make a big thing of this, but perhaps Coaster Force could use a slightly more tactful approach. Again if Coaster Force want I'm happy to outline a few of my concerns.
Thanks
Neil