Dreamland Margate

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
mathmos

I thought the current owners of the park had to fund the restoration of the scenic following the fire as it is grade listed?
meames

I would have thought that a lot of insurance money would be involved in the railway rebuild.
WillPS

I think you're right about the insurance actually. The total investment from grants is still absolute buttons for starting a seaside amusement park, even with the land and rides thrown in for nothing (no idea how much they actually cost).

Nick Laister has hinted that they've thought about a long term from-scratch rebuild.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about a Virginia Reel though - as awesome as it'd be to try one, remember as a new-build it wouldn't benefit from any grandfather rights which the genuine article might, and I'm not sure you could go about adding restraints without changing the design beyond recognition. Stranger things have happened though.
meames

Jimmy Godden died yesterday, wasn't he one of the owners of the land wanting to build houses, I'm sure I saw his name in the paperwork somewhere.
mathmos

The enquiry into the CPO of the Dreamland site has finally been granted approval.
This is great news and the park can now start the wheels in motion to make the heritage park a reality!
It will be an awesome gem  when it is up and running and a nostalgia lovers dream.
There are plans to add many more rare and classic vintage rides to the already impressive list.
Deleted

Following a public enquiry earlier this year, Thanet District Council has today (Friday 17 August) received approval from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government for the compulsory purchase of the Dreamland site.
The council will now work to secure title to the land, which it must acquire before access to the site can be granted and work can proceed. Securing title to the land will open up a funding package of over £10 million to deliver the project.

Leader of Thanet District Council, Cllr Clive Hart, said: “I’m thrilled with today’s announcement. This is a key step to unlocking the regeneration of the Dreamland site and means we can start to move in the right direction, in partnership with The Dreamland Trust, to progress the future of the site which has been vacant for a significant amount of time.

“Dreamland is such an important asset for Thanet, and for thousands outside of the area, so we’ve always been clear that doing nothing is simply not acceptable.

“It’s taken a lot of hard work and determination to get to this point, with the council spending more than £1 million on carrying out urgent repairs to the neglected heritage assets.

“I’m thrilled that the Secretary of State is confident in our plans to help secure the regeneration of Dreamland, and today’s announcement moves us closer to delivering this greatly anticipated amusement park.”

Chair of The Dreamland Trust, Nick Laister, said: “The Dreamland Trust is delighted that the Secretary of State has backed our plans to reopen Dreamland as a major seaside visitor attraction of regional and national significance. Along with our partners, Thanet District Council, we were confident that our plans would be found to be robust, deliverable and in the public interest. The Trust was very pleased to support the council in its efforts to secure the site to enable us to implement our vision, which has been shown time and time again to be the development that the people of Thanet most want to see happen.

“The residents and businesses of Thanet, and its many existing and future visitors, have waited far too long for work on this project to start. With our funding in place and our plans drawn up, today’s news is hopefully the final major hurdle that we will have to cross.

“The Dreamland Trust is ready to make a start on site and we hope to have Stage One of the project fully open by Easter 2014.”

Once the land is vested to the authority, the council will gain access to the site to allow important structural surveys to begin ahead of construction.

The council is working in partnership with The Dreamland Trust to create a world first for the site, an amusement park of thrilling historic rides, with classic side shows, cafés, restaurants, special events, festivals and gardens.

The project will also celebrate the British seaside and popular culture, with a focus on youth cultural heritage. It is a major part of Margate’s regeneration programme, creating volunteer, learning, training and employment opportunities for the local community.
So, basically we are in store for these in varied stages which are all confirmed on the website.

Cableway from Pleasureland
Whip from Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Water Chute from Rhyl's Ocean Beach
Scenic Railway from Dreamland
River Caves, Dreamland
Meteorite, aquired for Dreamland
Journey Into Space, Pleasureland
Caterpillar, Dreamland
Haunted Swing, aquired for Dremaland
Wild Mouse (King Solomons Mines) Dreamland
Mirror Maze (Southport)
Corbiere Wheel
This veteran ferris wheel is the only ride in the world to have a spherical motion. In other words the whole wheel revolves around its base as its gondolas travel in a spiral path describing a sphere through space.
The ride is currently residing at Carters Steam Fair yard in Maidenhead more information of the wheel here - www.richardswheel.com
Mistral Flying Machine at Pleasureland
Funhouse from Pleasureland
Junior Whip from Pleasure Beach Blackpool

More information can be found here:-
http://www.dreamlandmargate.com/the_rides.html
Last edited by Deleted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImURNemesis

This is fantasic news! The project can now go ahead. Just a shame it has taken this long!
spark

What's a haunted swing?
Deleted

spark wrote: What's a haunted swing?
Same as what's in impossible at pleasure beach blackpool, and similar to Hex at Alton Towers
Luce

The choice of rides listed above look really good and I'm looking forward to visiting Dreamland when it reopens.

It's great that this is finally going ahead as it's a project I've followed quite closely :)
sweedish2009

This is amazing news for Margate. Let' be honest, ever since Dreamland closed the area has gone downhill.

I went about 2 years ago, it was an absolute dump!

Is there any timescales on when they think the park will be reopen to the public?
Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.

Follow me on Twitter- https://twitter.com/one_hung_low
ponder

I know it's not strictly a 'heritage' ride, but it'd be nice to see Looping Star (in one of it's forms) return. It was my first ever looping coaster!

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps
mathmos

There will be many more classic rides and attractions added to that list,some very rare and original bits of kit.
The parks organizers are working closely with key individuals who have fantastic collections of rare equipment to add to the line up.
I am very excited to see the full list nearer the time of opening, still a long way to go before that though with building/rebuilding the parks layout.
We could see an Octopus, Dive Bomber, Skid, lifting Jets, Twist, Speedway, Waltzer and much more join the already impressive collection.
It would make one heck of a line up alongside the Wild Mouse and Scenic! 8)
Themeparksandy1981

They have set a date for the final use of the site which is gonna be on the 28th Feb. The biggest threat to the site now is a big Tescos Extra which is planned to be built next door.

Here is the full report http://m.guardiannews.com/society/2012/ ... ement-park
Kimberley

High court has dismissed MTCRC's appeal - hopefully things can get a move on now :)

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet_extr ... track.aspx
Thanks to Danny for the signature (:
Kimberley

Another update on the process of Dreamland - it seems that the council finally has ownership and work can get underway at last :) Keeping my fingers crossed that MTCRC's appeal is rejected!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet_extr ... land-5487/
Last edited by Kimberley on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scruffy_

PhoenixStudios

Very interesting. I wonder if anyone here will have been before the closure..?
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!
Kimberley

I used to visit many times in my childhood, hence why I am very excited about this ongoing development :)