Winter Wonderland - Hyde Park London

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
SwEDEN

themealgang wrote: A Huss TakeOff rip off! Looks fun.
LOL, EXACT same reaction I had when I first saw it... :lol:
Apparently not as intense as the Huss original.... yet should still be a fun ride!
bensaund

I have been twice and never got on a ride due to:

-Price, I feel it is on the expensive side
-Queues, we were going to do the Wild Maus last year, but it had like a 45 min queue!
-People, they squeeze in way too many people, you simply just can't move. Every step you take, you end up with somebody in the way
-It is a tourist trap

But it is the best themed Christmas attraction I have ever been too and it does have some very good rides.

I have been told if you go earlier it is not as busy, but the last two visits were complete hell and when you add up the cost of the train tickets and a few rides it is very expensive. I guess if you are close to London or are in London and you have two adults with a good level of cash, but when you take children along, the cost does escalate. I did the calculations and last year to take 2 adults, 2 kids and do 4 rides each, we could have purchased 2 Merlin passes as our MAPs only cost us £75 due to the January sale. Just like any trip into London, it always ends up costing you a hell of a lot more than you  :D!
If you go down to the woods today
SwEDEN

Air, Power Tower 2 and the Winter Wonderland express are confirmed for this year. (Even though the majority of people confirmed these rides anyway, and we all knew they were going to return.... just though i'd say it though, since it was stated by the event on their fb page.)

Also, can I have an answer to this?

Bayern Kurve, people say it was one of the best rides WW ever received, now I will say that it looks aesthetically AMAZING, yet I do not see when it comes to ride experience how or why people say it's so 'good' to ride..... Does someone mind explaining this to me?
themealgang

SwEDEN wrote: Air, Power Tower 2 and the Winter Wonderland express are confirmed for this year. (Even though the majority of people confirmed these rides anyway, and we all knew they were going to return.... just though i'd say it though, since it was stated by the event on their fb page.)

Also, can I have an answer to this?

Bayern Kurve, people say it was one of the best rides WW ever received, now I will say that it looks aesthetically AMAZING, yet I do not see when it comes to ride experience how or why people say it's so 'good' to ride..... Does someone mind explaining this to me?
I rode that in 2009. It was fantastic; hope Bayern Kurve makes a 'chilling' comeback soon.

The best way I can describe it is a bit like the start of the Enterprise, possibly less intense but definitely more exposed. The cars gradually build up speed until they produce a wonderful noise; it feels as through the trains are going to pull away from the tracks the force is that intense at the top speeds.

The restraint system was minimal. I think I can re-call wearing a seat belt, but that was pretty much it. It also ran for a very long time so I guess I got my £4 worth! I was pushed back into my seat further and further as the cars whizzed around to a point where I felt like the seat was going to swallow me up. It felt like you were almost at 90degrees as the sense of speed was sensational as you raced so close to the ground.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sam198

Just a little update for those of you who don't follow the event as closely as others...

The Gladiator Turbine is now confirmed as being hired by the Mannings family to be dubbed "Blizzard" for the event, thus replacing the booster of previous years. This will sit in the Alpine Adventure area alongside Graham Sedgwick's Rock Rage - also brought in by the Mannings - as well as the usual attendees from their lot (Showtime Afterburner, Deep Impact Miami, etc). The area will also contain Mannings' new coaster - under the name Alpine Thriller, and Hart's Over the Top. The former is confirmed as being Minitalia Leolandiapark's ex Pinfari machine, Thriller.

The Arctic Circle area was also announced earlier today, and will feature Mellors' Starflyer, the Snow Jet Matterhorn, the Magical Ice Kingdom walkthrough and the Ice Mountain Coaster. While the official description of the latter matches Hollenblitz, it will consist of White and Matthews' Reverchon Mouse enclosed and themed by Mellors.

Edit: link fixed!
Last edited by Sam198 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adz
Admin
Admin

There is another rollercoaster yet to be confirmed as well...
Alex

Adz you tease...
SwEDEN

Adz wrote: There is another rollercoaster yet to be confirmed as well...
Well Well Well Adz, we meet again. :p
themealgang

ROCK RAGE IS GOING!! Amazing. Can't wait.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sam198

Adz wrote: There is another rollercoaster yet to be confirmed as well...
Buwalda's Spinning Coaster (another Revvy Mouse). Yays...
Danny

Only just found out today that my manager at work owns a large number of rides at Winter Wonderland this year and in previous years!
Last edited by Danny on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwEDEN

Could (and probably very well be) the last time we see Power Tower 2 at this event. :'(

Lets make her last year something special and something to remember! :)
SwEDEN

Ok guys, now i'm sure a majority of you are aware of the absolutely brilliant 'Winter Wonderland Unofficial'.

Well today, Steve (the owner of the page) got an exclusive sneak peak inside the fenced off area and has uploaded an album! (which can be seen in the link below)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 308&type=1

It really gives you a sense of scale into the size of the event this year, how much work and theming has gone into it and how things plan to look once construction is complete!

I've got so much to say, but I'm going to let the photos speak for themselves!
Danny

Yes a lot of the rides in those pictures are owned by my boss :) looks amazing!
Adz
Admin
Admin

I very much doubt that danny.g97 as the vast majority of those rides are owned by individuals of which I know a fair few of them. :)

This year is looking rather fantastic. I know it's just a spinning mouse but I have a feeling that Ice Mountain could be the runaway hit of the event if the effects inside are pulled off well!
Last edited by Adz on Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Adz wrote: I very much doubt that danny.g97 as the vast majority of those rides are owned by individuals of which I know a fair few of them. :)

This year is looking rather fantastic. I know it's just a spinning mouse but I have a feeling that Ice Mountain could be the runaway hit of the event if the effects inside are pulled off well!
Joseph manning jr, owner of Mannings Amusements. Yeah he's my boss
Adz
Admin
Admin

Ah. Well in that case I'll let you off! ;) You must work in some part of the fairground/amusement industry - so welcome, It's nice to have another one here on TTF.

Looking through the photos it's clear the walkways and such are now huge. This should improve the major issue the event has always had which is severe overcrowding. Can't wait!
Danny

Firstly who else is in the industry on here?

And he owns a farm attraction in Essex which is where he is every week end. It is a farm/zoo with kids rides dotted around the place. That's where I work for him.
Sam198

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how the Ice Mountain Coaster turns out, as well as Mannings' Thriller (say hai to Joseph for me, Danny!). I'm sure we'll be seeing the getup of the former (or at least parts of it) touring with James' own mouse once it gets back from the Middle East, so I'm eager to give it a go.

I have yet to experience a Turbine (ridden Capriolos, but hey), so Gladiator/Blizzard still clinches my 'most anticipated' category.

On the whole, the event and the machines themselves looks exceptionally well presented this year, and I for one can't wait to see the finished product (10 days)! :)

Not looking forward to saying goodbye to PT2 in what looks set to be its last year with the Schneiders, however. :(
Danny

I'm with him every Saturday so will make sure I say hi and tell him about the forum and how interested in rides etc; we all are :)