Winter Wonderland - Hyde Park London

Engage with like-minded members and discuss the world of theme parks and attractions here.
Rollercoaster5000

It would be good if the Pinfari coaster returns next year, this year's Christmas coaster (Euro coaster) was terrible but wouldn't mind seeing the Black Hole return next year though.
themealgang

The Euro Coaster was awful but think of it being unique. The Black Hole was unique too, however I feel that they really needed to theme the inside to make the ride something special.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Islander

Well, went yesterday (spent the afternoon in Hyde Park, before heading over to the Embankment to meet friends for the NYE fireworks - brilliant :D ).

Went on three rides:

Power Tower 2: Well, it was so heavily raved-about, I could hardly give it a miss :). It was certainly excellent - as has been said by others, the views from the top are superb. However, what is all this talk about a six minute cycle? I was on there for at most 90 seconds! I really, really enjoyed it, but did feel slightly ripped off for £6. Had it lasted six-ish minutes, I would have felt it much better value.

€urocoaster: I didn't find this as awful as others on here; neither did I find it particularly great. Glad I tried it, but wouldn't spend £5 to ride it again.

Black Hole: Terrifying :shock:. I was generally surprised at the lax attitude to health and safety throughout the fair, but with no restraints at all, Black Hole took the biscuit. It was certainly... an experience. Worst part was, One of the ops had to ride with me, and he was remarkably rude, which spoilt it somewhat. It was an enjoyable ride, but I really don't know if I could brave it again. If it's there next year, might encourage one particular friend of mine to have a go - he's terrified of indoor coasters :twisted:

Overall, great fun. Would've loved to have ridden more, but just couldn't afford it. Going again tomorrow, though, as my Mum wants a look around, so who knows, perhaps she'll be feeling generous [-o< :P
themealgang

Ha, nice trip report there- made me laugh a little bit. To be honest, the thing about the 6 min cycle on the Power Tower does really depend on what time of the day you go. I went just after the fair had opened really (around 11:00am) and there was no queue at all and the Tower was hardly full. However, I then went later on in the day around 6:00pm and there was a 10 min queue with a 90 sec cycle!

It was strange point you made about the Black Hole. How was that ride op rude? They seemed ok towards me anyway. Anyway, it was intresting that you thought it was scary. When I rode it I knew for sure why the manufacture called it "The Hell Dive!" :lol:

bradpeet

What's this about no restraints on the Black Hole?

When I was there in November it had seat belts. I know the friend I was with is rather nervous about heights, and asked if he was supposed to have a seat belt too. I pointed out that he had to get past me in order to fall out, and that wasn't happening lol.
maguire245

Look at the similar rides which don't have proper restraints.. round-up & waltzer.. these rides have been designed to use the g force to hold you in, so while gravity still exists, I wouldn't worry about it.
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat
themealgang

The Black Hole does use restraints in a form of lap belts; rather like what the Wild Mouse uses in Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

AstroDan

I enjoyed the fair but was saddened that I couldn't really afford to do much. I spent £16 and that only touched about 1/2 the rides.

Spuk was the better fair ghost train I have done, but still nothing great. Black Hole was cracking. Power Tower I left due to the cost vs value which I felt was dire. Fun House was FANTASTIC fun - best I have done and who would have believed it was one of Franz's.

:D
Topsyturvy15

Went yesterday morning and got a double go on the power tower, 2 long cycles which was great. I also loved the funhouse, lots to do with good maze and overall good value for money. My other ride was the eurocoaster which I enjoyed, not too scary but fun all the same if a little over priced. Afterwards I went to the o2 with a report in that section.
Anonymous

Another taken by me at the end of Nov:

Marks favourite:
Deleted

Its almost upon us! - The UK's best event with all the decent rides from Holland & Germany in attendance!

Still trying to get details out of the organisers on "whats going" so this thread will be the place to seek such information:-

CONFIRMED

Angel’s Christmas Market
Located at the Hyde Park entrance to Winter Wonderland, The Market will feature over one hundred wooden chalets - offering unusual and handmade gifts, including ceramics, candles, glasswork, jewellery, clothing and beauty products as well as a traditional Christmas items.

Big Top Shows
Due to phenomenal public demand in 2009, which saw most shows selling out family-favourite, Zippos Circus, will make a welcome return to the Winter Wonderland Big Top with a family festive circus show during the day, featuring Timoni the Elf and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer who will open up a magical toy box to reveal a thrilling line up of colourful circus stars.

In the evening, the Winter Wonderland Big Top will present ‘Cirque D’Hiver’ a brand new world-class Circus. The finest artistes from across the globe merge into a single breathtaking performance spectacle set inside a sleeping mind. Expect contortionists, aerialists, acrobats, the heart-stopping Wheel of Death and a final battle of fire all part of this stunning visual spectacle.

More news as I get it!
Rollercoaster5000

You beat me to it lol. Can't wait for this year's Winter Wonderland. No news yet on the rides this year?
DiogoJ42

Well, being local, you can bet I will be there at least once. I just hope they rethink the tickets this year and have proper plastic tokens, that don't get caught in the wind!
ReZourceman

I need to get a job before Christmas. I need corn on the cob. I need giant German sausage hotdog. I need ghost train and snow time fun amazing.
Deleted

They need wrist bands priced at £40 would be a much better idea

No news on rides yet, but you will hear it here first
DiogoJ42

Yeah, wristbands would be ideal. And although £40 is a lot, it IS in the center of London, so they would still shift them by the bucket load.
AstroDan

I did like this, but as someone from the North I resented parting with such large amounts of money for the rides last year.

:(
Jared

I'm planning to go this year, what sort of prices do the rides usually have? Is it bad?
Deleted

Most of the big stuff was £5/£6 a go. Which I think is reasonable
maguire245

Rides Confirmed :
- Hollywood Star from showman Finnendahl, Germany.
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
[url=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;][/url]
- Thurstons Waltzer

Rides rumoured :
- Power Tower 2
- Euro Coaster
- Carters Skid
- John Buggs Oblivion Freak Out
- Mannings Dodgem

Will possibly not return :
- Action Musik Express
- Bayern Kurve

As Carters maybe comming it's said that they might bring some others along with them, but again it's just speculation at the moment. That's all for now folks :D
Fotopic Fair Rides K&L
YouTube 245thegreat